Author Topic: Any advice on circa 1990 pins?  (Read 450 times)

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Any advice on circa 1990 pins?
« on: June 27, 2009, 04:08:59 PM »
So taking the first steps into the darkside looking around for 4 or 5 circa 1990 pinballs to round out my collection. Have not really taken much notice of them over the years and now I'm wondering are there more reliable manufactures around this time.

Do I just stick to Bally and Williams? Are Gottlieb, Sega and Data East OK?

Any suggestion on titles? Any help greatly appreciated.

Please forgive me Ed Krynski and Wayne Neyens  :lol

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Re: Any advice on circa 1990 pins?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 05:43:01 PM »
Some people (usually bally/wms guys) rubbish GTB 90's pins. I been told by 3 operators that GTBs were the most reliable machines. Not so many good players put out by GTB though in the 90's. Data East great pins also, same deal not so many good games. WMS/Bally just had the majority of better playing games. Buy the games you enjoy, dont buy cookie-cutters because some in my opinion are over-rated/priced duds.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 06:07:37 PM »
Start with theme maybe? I know a fellow who had rented pinballs over Christmas etc, and when he found out my interest, wanted me to find him a game. But he had no idea what he wanted, so we spoke about his interests, and for some reason I asked if he and his wife had ever been to the drive in in their early years - a big yes, they'd loved the drive in, so I got him a Creature and it was love at first sight!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 07:13:39 PM »
Some people (usually bally/wms guys) rubbish GTB 90's pins. I been told by 3 operators that GTBs were the most reliable machines. Not so many good players put out by GTB though in the 90's. Data East great pins also, same deal not so many good games. WMS/Bally just had the majority of better playing games. Buy the games you enjoy, dont buy cookie-cutters because some in my opinion are over-rated/priced duds.

That's very true. The Gottliebs were very reliable, but most operators were "burned" from unreliable sys80 machines. Most would never buy a Gottlieb again. Ops went back to Bally/Williams because of the Bally name, and the choice of good licenses.

To answer your question, Tony - you need to "get out" and play them mate ! Wotto has some ripper machines - Check out his line up.

Bally/Williams - Check out Addams Family, Scared Stiff and Circus Voltaire

Data East - Jurassic Park & Guns'n'Roses

Stern - Pass..

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 07:29:16 PM »
I'm yet to own/work on a Bally but I've had both Williams and D.E.

+1 on the C.V - I've played one at Marks for some time.  Great to play and great artwork.

As far as good priced machines go, my LAH was a great choice.  Lots of toys, great fun to play and well built.

I really enjoyed Mark's Safecracker too, but rare and out of my price range.

T2 is a great DMD game and Getaway is lots of fun too.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 08:16:52 PM »
DMDs I am sold on: AFM, Champ Pub, GNR. These pins represent good bang for buck.

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 04:44:24 AM »

That's very true. The Gottliebs were very reliable, but most operators were "burned" from unreliable sys80 machines. Most would never buy a Gottlieb again. Ops went back to Bally/Williams because of the Bally name, and the choice of good licenses.

Heaps of them around though. You mainly see them by themselves in pubs etc. Usually Shaq Attaq and Rescue 911.  (((

What was the pricing difference between NIB Gottlieb sys3's and Wms/Bally back in the 90's?. In Australia that is.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 11:28:26 AM »

Heaps of them around though. You mainly see them by themselves in pubs etc. Usually Shaq Attaq and Rescue 911.  (((

What was the pricing difference between NIB Gottlieb sys3's and Wms/Bally back in the 90's?. In Australia that is.

I don't know NIB.

The last machine Dad bought as an Op was GTB "Street Fighter II". It NEVER missed a beat, in fact the only issue it ever had was during transport to its new owner in SA (to a member here !).

I know that Bally/Williams machines etc were much more expensive than system3 machines

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline narf

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 11:42:06 AM »
what about lower end titles

we have all mentioned the titles everyone wants these days and there price reflects

anyone know any good sleepers that dont get much attention  !@#

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 11:45:34 AM »
Striker extreme i think is a bit of a sleeper sells fairly cheap but i enjoyed playing it

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 12:02:10 PM »
Games that shouldn't break the bank and would be good fun in a collection....

Tales from the crypt
Super Mario Bros
Cue Ball Wizard
Demolition Man
Dirty Harry
Jack Bot
Johnny Mnemonic
Maverick
Bride Of Pinbot
World Cup Soccer

Offline Ric

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 12:05:47 PM »
I think that all of the 90's pins are worth a look to a degree

Some are easier to maintain than others, for example the DE/Sega displays that were in three sizes tend to be very expensive to replace (eg if you get a large dispaly Sega game) and DE boards are a bit harder to come by

There are some great games released by GTB, DE and Sega such as Phantom of the Opera, Waterworld, Nightmare on Elm St, Jurassic Park, Stargate

Equally, I think some of the Bally titles skimped a bit on their artwork in favour of featues - eg I think T2 is a great game but the playfield is quite plain - Judge Dredd on the other hand captured both elements.

Hope that helps

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 05:46:24 PM »
Best way is to go and play some 1990's pins, you then get an idea of whats best to round out your collection.
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 06:37:32 PM »
Tony the DMD market is/was dominated by Williams Bally but in saying that I own a Data East (Star Wars) and it is extremely reliable . I have heard people bag DE's but maybe they got a flogged out ex-site machine with issues . I'm sure the same has happened to Williams pins as well .
  One thing I have noticed that may influence some people more towards a Williams is the availability of spare parts . There just seems to be more around for the Williams Bally machines ( especially in Melbourne in a few weeks time ..  %$%).
  Most important thing to go for would be a theme that suits you as well as how deep you want the ruleset etc. (Twilight Zone for example has a VERY deep ruleset which is the attraction for some but a deterrent for others looking for a quick bash-and-play game).
  Good luck with your search and remember to keep us up to date with pics of any new aquisitions.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 09:18:14 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys, still unsure what to do. Had a long chat with my brother in law today who is into these things and we went through Michael's 3rd book and there aren't too many games that would 'make it' into my gamesroom.

Whirlwind, JD, Funhouse and a few others.