Author Topic: Can you sand out ball trail marks and refresh mylar?  (Read 604 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Can you sand out ball trail marks and refresh mylar?
« on: July 11, 2009, 11:26:08 PM »
Been sanding heaps today doing my rfm re-decal and had lots of time to think about things. I was using 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and wondered if even finer grit paper could be used to polish up mylar or even playfields with clearcoat etc. I've tried to refresh th emylar on my TZ with novus and got maybe a bit of an improvement.

Has anyone used sandpaper to improve playfield shine or to remove stubborn ball trails with say 1200 grit or something?  !@# BTW if refering to DMD machines in this case
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
I used very fine sandpaper to improve my Marathon Playfield with good results but the best way to fix old mylar is to get rid of it  ^^^    http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=1162.0

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Yes I guess you're right but looking at it, the mylar shows no signs of bubbling, its just a dull finish. But even the paint work is rather dull compared to say areas immediately under the slings where the rubbers are and the ball doesn't contact. These areas are more vibrant and shiney. Maybe I just need more elbow grease and novus the bring up that shine on the playfield but I have tried a couple of times without getting the results I hoped for.

What do you think about these areas? Thanks

Offline slammer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Bendigo Victoria
  • Aussie Pinball - No bullshit, just pinball
The Treasure Cove kit works wonders, I swear by it. I will probably not use novus anymore after buying this kit.

I can email some before and after shots of the Cybernaut I just did

Cheers Angelo

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
The Treasure Cove kit works wonders, I swear by it. I will probably not use novus anymore after buying this kit.

Cheers Angelo

Or you could post them here so everyone can see them. *%*
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne

Cheers Angelo

+1 to this!

I bought one a little while ago and it did an amazing job on diamond plated playfields.  I had a quick play with some dull mylar on my Police Force and it now has a reflection.
I believe it can be used on painted cabinets too (not decals) so I would be keen to give it a try on that as well.

Offline rads

• Forum Posts:
Apologies for the thread hijacking.  I had a look at the treasure cove website and was impressed.  Where did you guys get the kits from?  The website or somewhere local? 

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne

Cheers Angelo

Sounds great Angelo, try posting the pix here as others would be interested as well. I'll need to look at the kit as it sounds just what the doctor ordered.

Also interested if any of the dealers sell the kits locally

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
I picked up mine a few months ago.  There is nothing technically different about the kits, but the polish is very good.

I believe Alan does not have any distributors and sells directly.

I took some photos of my Getaway (in Resto thread) and you can see the shine on the PF.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
I picked up mine a few months ago.  There is nothing technically different about the kits, but the polish is very good.

I believe Alan does not have any distributors and sells directly.

I took some photos of my Getaway (in Resto thread) and you can see the shine on the PF.
Had a look at thread Marty and my order is now placed.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
I found the best results are with the playfield out and stripped to.  But I've always done mine in the pool room (inside) and found out that the polish travels far (curtains....walls....trouble with the lovely)...so I would recommend to save any grief put in shed!

Offline slammer

• Forum Posts:
  • Bendigo Victoria
  • Aussie Pinball - No bullshit, just pinball
OK, I will try to post some pics without hosting them elsewhere. I hope it works.....
Cheers Angelo

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 09:59:53 PM by slammer »

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
I found the best results are with the playfield out and stripped to.  But I've always done mine in the pool room (inside) and found out that the polish travels far (curtains....walls....trouble with the lovely)...so I would recommend to save any grief put in shed!
Thanks for the tip, I think you saved my marriage. I wouldn't have thought of that and then seen the shit everywhere while I pack my things and try to put as many Km's between me and the missus

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Thanks for the pix Angelo, I'm now convinced its a product well worth investing in. What I liked about the kit is an instructional dvd comes with it. Its gotta take the guesswork and stress out.

Offline daics3522

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
The Treasure Cove kit works wonders, I swear by it.

Just ordered the full kit from the below website to give it a go. Cant hurt to try...........
I ordered the CMB02 - Ultimate COMBO Kit includes all 3 KITS!! 2", 3" & 4" Shine Master Kits

http://www.treasure-cove.net/BuyPolish.htm
1up Promotions provide all your promotional items... from keyrings to banners to stubby coolers etc, etc..... Anything you need just PM.... (website coming soon)