• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: SHOPED
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 08:50:56 PM »

Shopped

My definition would be a playfield teardown and clean. Mainly a cosmetic job - replace globes, rubbers and any broken small parts like plastic posts. It would not include broken parts such as slingshots and ramps. Typically 10 -20 hours

Reconditioned

As well as the "shopped" work - All mechanisms under the playfield are rebuilt. All coil sleeves replaced. New flipper kits installed. All boards upgraded and repaired. Sometimes, broken ramps and slingshot plastics are replaced. Typically 20 - 30 hours

Restored

As well as the "Shopped + reconditioned" work - Every single moving part is rebuilt, cleaned and polished. The machine is virtually stripped of every part, and each individual part is cleaned / polished or replaced. New plastics sets and/or ramps are installed. Anything that can be bought such as plastic and metal posts, flipper bats, screws, nuts are installed on the playfield. Cabinet hardware is replaced or polished. Cabinet may be painted.
Typically 50 - 100 hours.

I agree with Ninos definition. Full restos are left for "keepers" unless someone is willing to pay the costs incurred in parts and labour. As a hobbyist, labour costs usually dont make it into the equation. Not many people are willing to pay an hourly rate of $20 - $30 an hour for a 60 hour resto.
Most commercially shopped pins include the services as nino mentioned above, rubbers,globes,etc. In most cases there is no need to change coil sleeves,coils,springs diodes etc when the pin is performing fine.Costs would blow out of proportion. Most of us do it because we are anal, intend on keeping the machine or because we love doing it.

Great minds think alike, Dave  ^^^

"hobbyist" is the key word here, and full restorations is a niche area really only reserved for hobbyists. It is commercially not viable to restore games to this level, however - some dealers are going to great lengths to achieving some of the best work I've seen in the DMD area.

EMs and SS - Are more niche, and an area I love working in - as do others here.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 09:22:37 PM »
Yep, I'm the king of buying new stuff....just ask RTBB!

I don't think there's been a week for the last 12 months were I havn't ordered something!

Ramps - yep, basically I replace anything that is broken..Sometimes playfield plastics which cannot be sourced makes its hard...I need to venture into making my own one day!

Its difficult to put into words really....I still wouldn't class any of my rebuilds as full restorations - my Black Hole is probably the closest I've come to a full restoration...but the machine was worthy!

Sam if you checkout some of the guys restorations / rebuilds / shops' in the restoration section it may give you a better representation.  I reckon almost everyone on this site would happily spend 10-60hrs working on a pin! 
I've only ever bought 2 pins 'shopped'.  Both were working perfectly and cosmetically spot on, took them home and plug n play.  However there is nothing better than getting a pin straight off a container, covered in 10 years of crap and black dust only to spend a week cleaning it making it look new....
Whats your method of cleaning the underside of playfeild plastic inserts?  Some times there black.

Not sure about the other guys, my LAH was probably the worst.  First round I dipped a cotton tip in nifty then another one in isocol alcohol.  Came up sweet!

I use cotton tips too. One with windex then a clean tip to finish is usually enough sometimes another go with the windex if super dirty.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 09:24:12 PM »
Whats your method of cleaning the underside of playfield plastic inserts?  Some times there black.
[/quote]

As mentioned, cotton buds or a small artist/kids paintbrush works a treat as well.  I typically use window cleaner as the solvent - it doesn't bubble up and evaporates as well so it reduces the amount of drying needed.  The bristles can get into all the nooks and crannies.  If possible I use a dry brush first to remove as much dirt as possible before wetting it and turning it into a mud pie.
Addicted to pins.

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 09:32:18 PM »

Whats your method of cleaning the underside of playfeild plastic inserts?  Some times there black.
[/quote]

we use a small paint brush on the end of a drill to do this

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 11:20:18 PM »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 11:21:35 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Worn_High_Speed_Pinball.jpg

i am not cleaning this one though

I can just see the eBay listing ;

"A little wear around the inserts"

No amount of Nifti or "magic rag" will fix this !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline sam

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 01:10:56 AM »

Geez if guys can spend up to 100 hours cleaning and repairing a machine, then in the end how much would it sell for

I mean if we were to charge say 30/h at 100 hours, thats $3000 just for labour plus the cost of the machine in the first place

Almonst buy a new machine couldnt you??

Interesting how shopped varies apon who you talk to though..

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 10:36:36 AM »

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 10:29:31 PM »

give you a idea  on what we do

here is a list of a few of the last few pins we have done recently

STNG   27 hours ... 
austin powers  25 hours   , we made by hand a few plastics  on this and replace 2 motors and the dunny lid !
Maverick   was  19 hours 
Fish tales  14 hours
Popeye  12 hours
cfbl  9 hours
cfbl 12  hours
this includes legs doors , body work    ( all the work Tim used to do )

now some take longer than others   as you can see
you can take upto 3 hours off each and more on stng  for body work  legs  door ectect

now allot depends on cond , board work and body.

mark