Author Topic: SHOPED  (Read 665 times)

Offline sam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
SHOPED
« on: July 21, 2009, 07:34:29 PM »

Ok i have been told to start a new topic with this question.

I dont know if has been said before, BUT

What is your definition of SHOPED?

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: SHOPED
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 07:36:56 PM »
Great Question Sam very interested to see everyone elses responce.   

But to me shopped would be completely stripped & polished, New Rubbers globes ball and working 100% the way my games leave me when i sell em   ^^^

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 07:40:53 PM »
HI Sam,

Its a very open ended question and everyones view would probably differ.

For me, I have 'shopped' all of my pins.  Generally this means a full playfield strip down, all playfield parts / furniture removed, every playfield side metal part cleaned, soaked and tumbled.  Any metal ramp is cleaned and regrained.  All plastic parts (posts etc) are soaked and cleaned.  All rubbers replaced, all coils tested, all new coil sleeves, all new diodes on coils, generally all globes replaced, playfield plastics (slings etc) cleaned and polished, new legs, leg levellers, bolts, cabinet cleaned.

The actual playfield will be polished several times and waxed.  Any repairs are generally done too.

For me this process takes aware between 20-60hrs.

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 08:25:43 PM »
To me - it is all of what Marty J said PLUS replacing any broken PF plastics, ramps etc

As in a COMPLETE PF rebuild plus all the cleaning.

There now we have 3 different opinions already  :lol
DW Drums rule !

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 08:34:32 PM »
Yep, I'm the king of buying new stuff....just ask RTBB!

I don't think there's been a week for the last 12 months were I havn't ordered something!

Ramps - yep, basically I replace anything that is broken..Sometimes playfield plastics which cannot be sourced makes its hard...I need to venture into making my own one day!

Its difficult to put into words really....I still wouldn't class any of my rebuilds as full restorations - my Black Hole is probably the closest I've come to a full restoration...but the machine was worthy!

Sam if you checkout some of the guys restorations / rebuilds / shops' in the restoration section it may give you a better representation.  I reckon almost everyone on this site would happily spend 10-60hrs working on a pin! 
I've only ever bought 2 pins 'shopped'.  Both were working perfectly and cosmetically spot on, took them home and plug n play.  However there is nothing better than getting a pin straight off a container, covered in 10 years of crap and black dust only to spend a week cleaning it making it look new....

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 08:42:55 PM »
Ok I thought shopped was giving the playfield a rub over with some Mr Sheen???
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline daics3522

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 10:31:58 PM »
HI Sam,
Its a very open ended question and everyones view would probably differ.
For me, I have 'shopped' all of my pins.  Generally this means a full playfield strip down, all playfield parts / furniture removed, every playfield side metal part cleaned, soaked and tumbled.  Any metal ramp is cleaned and regrained.  All plastic parts (posts etc) are soaked and cleaned.  All rubbers replaced, all coils tested, all new coil sleeves, all new diodes on coils, generally all globes replaced, playfield plastics (slings etc) cleaned and polished, new legs, leg levellers, bolts, cabinet cleaned.
The actual playfield will be polished several times and waxed.  Any repairs are generally done too.
For me this process takes aware between 20-60hrs.
As a PIN NOOB, I would think what Marty said. I am having a pin shopped at the moment in Melbourne and I know this is what is getting done. Also includes a small PF touchup and mylar where the is some wear.
1up Promotions provide all your promotional items... from keyrings to banners to stubby coolers etc, etc..... Anything you need just PM.... (website coming soon)

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 10:39:01 PM »
Nice...what machine are you getting done??And where are you getting it done??Price??ect
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 11:06:50 PM »
There can be varying levels of "shopped" too by my understanding . Shopped can be everything mentioned above ie. full strip,clean,re-bulb,re-rubber, new legs , coin mechs fitted etc.  or it can be a simple clean,re-rubber, and re-globe . Obviously what you pay to have your pin shopped will vary depending on the work done but it all comes down to how much you want done to it before you get it and how much you want to do yourself .

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 09:51:15 AM »

Shopped

My definition would be a playfield teardown and clean. Mainly a cosmetic job - replace globes, rubbers and any broken small parts like plastic posts. It would not include broken parts such as slingshots and ramps. Typically 10 -20 hours

Reconditioned

As well as the "shopped" work - All mechanisms under the playfield are rebuilt. All coil sleeves replaced. New flipper kits installed. All boards upgraded and repaired. Sometimes, broken ramps and slingshot plastics are replaced. Typically 20 - 30 hours

Restored

As well as the "Shopped + reconditioned" work - Every single moving part is rebuilt, cleaned and polished. The machine is virtually stripped of every part, and each individual part is cleaned / polished or replaced. New plastics sets and/or ramps are installed. Anything that can be bought such as plastic and metal posts, flipper bats, screws, nuts are installed on the playfield. Cabinet hardware is replaced or polished. Cabinet may be painted.
Typically 50 - 100 hours.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 10:05:26 AM »
I know what shopped is not:

Nifti in one hand, rag in the other, quick wipe and that's what some call shopped!   !!@
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 10:06:38 AM »
I know what shopped is not:

Nifti in one hand, rag in the other, quick wipe and that's what some call shopped!

Very true Nick. Sad - But true !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 07:43:44 PM »

Shopped

My definition would be a playfield teardown and clean. Mainly a cosmetic job - replace globes, rubbers and any broken small parts like plastic posts. It would not include broken parts such as slingshots and ramps. Typically 10 -20 hours

Reconditioned

As well as the "shopped" work - All mechanisms under the playfield are rebuilt. All coil sleeves replaced. New flipper kits installed. All boards upgraded and repaired. Sometimes, broken ramps and slingshot plastics are replaced. Typically 20 - 30 hours

Restored

As well as the "Shopped + reconditioned" work - Every single moving part is rebuilt, cleaned and polished. The machine is virtually stripped of every part, and each individual part is cleaned / polished or replaced. New plastics sets and/or ramps are installed. Anything that can be bought such as plastic and metal posts, flipper bats, screws, nuts are installed on the playfield. Cabinet hardware is replaced or polished. Cabinet may be painted.
Typically 50 - 100 hours.

I agree with Ninos definition. Full restos are left for "keepers" unless someone is willing to pay the costs incurred in parts and labour. As a hobbyist, labour costs usually dont make it into the equation. Not many people are willing to pay an hourly rate of $20 - $30 an hour for a 60 hour resto.
Most commercially shopped pins include the services as nino mentioned above, rubbers,globes,etc. In most cases there is no need to change coil sleeves,coils,springs diodes etc when the pin is performing fine.Costs would blow out of proportion. Most of us do it because we are anal, intend on keeping the machine or because we love doing it.

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 08:06:15 PM »

I don't think there's been a week for the last 12 months were I havn't ordered something!

Ramps - yep, basically I replace anything that is broken..Sometimes playfield plastics which cannot be sourced makes its hard...I need to venture into making my own one day!

Its difficult to put into words really....I still wouldn't class any of my rebuilds as full restorations - my Black Hole is probably the closest I've come to a full restoration...but the machine was worthy!

Sam if you checkout some of the guys restorations / rebuilds / shops' in the restoration section it may give you a better representation.  I reckon almost everyone on this site would happily spend 10-60hrs working on a pin! 
I've only ever bought 2 pins 'shopped'.  Both were working perfectly and cosmetically spot on, took them home and plug n play.  However there is nothing better than getting a pin straight off a container, covered in 10 years of crap and black dust only to spend a week cleaning it making it look new....
Whats your method of cleaning the underside of playfeild plastic inserts?  Some times there black.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 08:10:33 PM »

Whats your method of cleaning the underside of playfeild plastic inserts?  Some times there black.

Not sure about the other guys, my LAH was probably the worst.  First round I dipped a cotton tip in nifty then another one in isocol alcohol.  Came up sweet!