Author Topic: Parts Cleaners...  (Read 453 times)

pinballist

• Trade Count: (0)
Parts Cleaners...
« on: August 07, 2009, 01:06:41 PM »
I've been looking into parts cleaners, but I can't seem to decide whether I should go for an Ultrasonic cleaner or a Tumbler such as those used to clean bullet casings or a rock tumbler.

Which would be more effective & economical to clean PF parts?

Cheers,
Ev

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Parts Cleaners...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 01:16:28 PM »
Hi Evro,

I looked into this a while ago.  I guess if money is not a problem, I would have both.

I always soak plastics (posts etc.) - not printed plastics in nifty and usual process.

For anything metal - I use a vibrating 'tumbler'...I've got a Lyman 1200 pro.  The metals come up like new.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 01:27:10 PM »
Marty,

What is the cost of the Lyman 1200 Pro and where did you buy it from?

pinballist

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 01:44:06 PM »
Hey Tony, I had a bit of a search on the Lyman and found that Bankstown Gun Shop sells it for $150 and they throw in a bag of walnut shell cleaning media.

http://www.bankstowngunshop.com.au/products/product/LY1200PT?category=

Though I'm still curious whether the ultrasonic cleaners are better. Here's an industrial one I found on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230362641202&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&salenotsupported

My thinking is that with an ultrasonic model you can do plastics as well as metal, but then how effective is the ultrasonic model at cleaning metals??
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 02:50:29 PM by Ev »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 03:43:08 PM »
I bought a small Ultrasonic cleaner i wasnt really impressed with it to be honest.   I can dig it out and test it on some stuff if you like?

pinballist

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 03:45:47 PM »
Nah Daniel, you being the king of clean & polish (I'll have to call you Mr Sheen from now on) is enough of an endorsement for me to look into getting a tumbler instead.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 03:49:39 PM »
Yeah im going to have to get myself a tumbler after seeing Pinfans star trek.   But i do like doing things the hard way so ill probably keep doing stuff by hand lol

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 08:12:26 PM »
Marty,

What is the cost of the Lyman 1200 Pro and where did you buy it from?

There was a bloke local to me (gunsmith working from home).  Cost about $160 with AUD plug and most if not all Lymans come with a bag of corn cob.

For anyone restoring pin's a tumbler is a MUST!

pinballist

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 08:26:17 PM »
Hey Tony, I'm gonna get my Lyman Pro1200 from Bankstown Gun Shop in a couple of weeks, if you like I can pick one up for you and bring it with me to Paul's meet.

Offline pinballahq

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 09:20:38 PM »
I purchased my Lyman 1200 Pro from the Reloaders Warehouse in Queanbeyan (Ph 6299 4600).
I would recommend Alan as his prices and service was excellent. ^^^
Back in March when I bought mine the cost was $133 including 2lb of corncob media, $38 for an additional 10lb of corncob media, and postage (drop shipped) was $35. Direct deposit required, no CREDIT Cards.
The unit is 240V with an Aussie plug factory fitted.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 10:43:35 PM »

I'm about to buy my second tumbler - and it has to be the most used tool in the shed (garage in my case). I have a re badged Berry - a "Graf" tumbler. I use "Flitz" media with corncob.

I've used Novus2, Novus3 and Brasso, but nothing is close to Flitz. You only need a small amount, and you only need to tumble for 4 hours, not 24 hours. Secret is to clean the dirt off metal parts before you begin.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 11:53:41 PM »
Haven't used a tumbler yet but cant wait to get one.

Ultrasonic cleaners are good for cleaning things that have dirt and gunk trapped inside them because the cleaning fluid washes it out from all the places where you cant poke something in to clean. eg: jewellery, watch bands and sunglasses. They cant remove stuff like rust and corrosion and they cant take the oxidisation or tarnish off metals. That is something that needs some kind of abrasive action such as the tumbler.

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 03:25:02 PM »
Can anyone post-up a pic of a tumbler as I've never heard of one !@# and explain the process of cleaning metal parts. Thanks.
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 10:02:11 PM »

we use both and do  have to replace them often
so get a good one

mark

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 10:03:20 AM »
Can anyone post-up a pic of a tumbler as I've never heard of one !@# and explain the process of cleaning metal parts. Thanks.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/tumblers/1200-pro-tumbler.php

Basically a cleaning medium (dry corn cob shells or wallnut shells) go into the bowl, toss your metal parts in and leave for 24hrs or so.  Will come out like new!