Author Topic: Nucore Complete! Now Available.  (Read 14685 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Nucore Complete! Now Available.
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 01:06:47 AM »
DOES anyone have a direct website for Chuck-NUCORE ?

wanted to get pricing for a complete kit etc, and all the options. Might have to buy one very soon.

Brett

http://www.bigguyspinball.com/nucore.shtml
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pinprick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 01:20:24 PM »

Actually, this is a bit of a milestone in recent Pinball history. The contribution you guys have made is very significant, I'm sure this will be proven in time to be THE biggest development since WMS closed it's doors.

@@*

Absolutely   $%$
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 02:16:26 PM »
UPDATE

I recieved a email back from Nucore's selling agent saying that the NUCORE Complete system is currently "Not available".

I have emailed back asking for clarification. Is it out of stock and not being restocked/made due to low sales numbers, or out of stock for a short time only. All pictures of the complete set up have been removed from the pricing side of the site? I will advise what the status is once i get an update.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline roundball

• Forum Posts:
  • BNE - The only place to be.
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 10:56:52 PM »
Bummer.  I love my Nucore setup.

I hope its not too sinistar as to why its not available.  I did send an email to Pinball Life 4 weeks ago asking about the kit as it wasn't available on their site at that time, to be told 'out of stock, watch this space'.. 

<EDIT>

Looks like the chassis is out of stock, available again in March. 

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 11:15:54 PM »
I recieved some information back from Mark C who spoke with Chuck directly.

They are only out of the metal boxes that the full system goes into. This shld be rectified early in the new year/end of January. In the meantime, Mark has been good enough to help out as usual and provide the needed box I need for a Full NUCORE set up.

Pinball always benefits by fellow pinheads helping out other pinheads.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:18:31 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline radirgyman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 10:49:34 PM »
I recieved some information back from Mark C who spoke with Chuck directly.

They are only out of the metal boxes that the full system goes into. This shld be rectified early in the new year/end of January. In the meantime, Mark has been good enough to help out as usual and provide the needed box I need for a Full NUCORE set up.

Pinball always benefits by fellow pinheads helping out other pinheads.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

How crucial would it be to buy nucore for RFM?
Ive been offered an original RFM or one with Nucore costing an extra 1k.

Is it worth the extra 1k?

Or should I just get the original and see what happens in time?

Cheers.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 12:36:19 AM »
The trouble with older computers is that over time, especially if a fair amount of heat is involved, the electrolytic capacitors can degrade and stop working. A tell-tale sign is that they start bulging at the top of the capacitor if it is soldered upright in the mainboard. That is why so many mainboards now boast 'Japanese solid capacitors'.

While you can replace the capacitors if done carefully, it is very nice to know that if the computer in a RFM does die, you can install a replacement.

It is not essential to have a Nucore kit, but if I ever bought a RFM I would most likely buy a Nucore kit as well as insurance. However, if you don't want to spend an extra 1K now, you can just wait and get the Nucore kit later.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 01:21:28 AM »
If it aint broke, dont fix it when it comes to updating to Nucore etc. I purchased a Revenge from Mars from Mark C over 2 years ago, and all i did was replace a few fans for $20 each. All the computer CPU fans need replacing usually, and its reccommended for sure.

The NUCORE set up is worth every penny at $800 to $1000. I would only buy one if the Pin2000 u buy dies etc. I would only buy the complete Nucore set up as well as I dont want to muck around with old computers and an old computer could die in 5 mins anyway. I will check, but i am certain the computer board Chuck provides is brand new etc, thus lasting longer.

Nucore is great, but only really needed once ya RFM or S Wars Ep 1 dies a natural death. Buy a good stock Pin2000, and upgrade later to save some money now. U may never need to upgrade. My RFM is working fine after 2 plus years etc. hope it helps.  ^^^

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 01:36:30 PM »
Hey guys. Nothing funky going on. Like Mark said we were just out of cases. Normally we could have a new set quickly but we had to make a few engineering changes to the design. The new cases are due in the next two weeks (if all goes well.) You will definitely see them back in stock on Pinballlife.com by the end of February. Terry just removes everything on a item when he's out of stock to prevent anyone from ordering it.

On the question of buying Nucore if you have a working machine, there are a few enhancements, jukebox, better refresh rates (animated graphics dont stop when the ball is in the pop bumpers, etc.) If those enhancements don't excite you stick with what you have until it dies. Many of the replacement parts in pin2k machine are pretty cheap (fans, ram, power supply.) Now if the prism board, motherboard, or processor die that's a good time to consider Nucore. Those parts are expensive and also over 10 years old. Many of our customers pay the $400 USD for a basic kit, use an old desktop computer that meets the specs, and come up with creative ways to mount all the goodies.

Peace.

Mars NEEDS women!

Offline madness

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 06:02:34 PM »
Hey guys. Nothing funky going on. Like Mark said we were just out of cases. Normally we could have a new set quickly but we had to make a few engineering changes to the design. The new cases are due in the next two weeks (if all goes well.) You will definitely see them back in stock on Pinballlife.com by the end of February. Terry just removes everything on a item when he's out of stock to prevent anyone from ordering it.

On the question of buying Nucore if you have a working machine, there are a few enhancements, jukebox, better refresh rates (animated graphics dont stop when the ball is in the pop bumpers, etc.) If those enhancements don't excite you stick with what you have until it dies. Many of the replacement parts in pin2k machine are pretty cheap (fans, ram, power supply.) Now if the prism board, motherboard, or processor die that's a good time to consider Nucore. Those parts are expensive and also over 10 years old. Many of our customers pay the $400 USD for a basic kit, use an old desktop computer that meets the specs, and come up with creative ways to mount all the goodies.

Peace.

Mars NEEDS women!

Hi Chuck,
I am keen to put nucore in my RFM,it does not need it but i would like it anyway,
I am interested in the diy $400 option.How hard is it to do? or can the average computer user do it no problems?
I can follow instructions well so would you think i will have no hassles,
Thanks

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 03:58:17 PM »

Peace.

Mars NEEDS women!

Hi Chuck,
I am keen to put nucore in my RFM,it does not need it but i would like it anyway,
I am interested in the diy $400 option.How hard is it to do? or can the average computer user do it no problems?
I can follow instructions well so would you think i will have no hassles,
Thanks

The minimum required specs are on the pinball life site and ours. Our forums contain a few homegrown solutions ;-)

You don't need to be a computer expert but it does help. If you're not a computer expert I do suggest finding a friend who is and have them help you.

Offline roundball

• Forum Posts:
  • BNE - The only place to be.
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 08:39:42 PM »
Nucore is pretty simple to install and the instructions are specific and to the point.  Hell, I got it working first time round.!

I went the kit and modified the original Pin2K case to fit the uATX chassis, DVD, etc into it.  I also think that because its Linux based you could possibly 'ghost' your mates Nucore setup and runup that ghost'ed hdd in your machine, with the Nucore USB dongle of course.

Another thing, to help subsidise the cost you eBay off your old Pin2K parts, I got $200 for my old Prism alone.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 09:49:59 PM »
Your RFM looked and played great with the nucore in it.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 12:46:05 PM »
I also think that because its Linux based you could possibly 'ghost' your mates Nucore setup and runup that ghost'ed hdd in your machine, with the Nucore USB dongle of course.

Although I've never tried it you most likely could. You would want to make sure you're using the same motherboard otherwise you would probably have driver issues.