Author Topic: Do you need to remove the siderails when repainting a cab?  (Read 492 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Do you need to remove the siderails when repainting a cab?
« on: September 01, 2009, 07:52:46 PM »
Gday all .

I will soon be attempting my 1st ever cabinet repaint on my Williams Lady Luck.
I'm wondering if you really need to remove the side rails ?
From what I've read in the past it can be a pain of a job. What is the disadvantage of not removing them ??

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Dave,

It's your call but I would highly recommend you do take the rails off.

Actually it's one of the easier chores when repainting a cab.

It's not as tough as it's all made out to be. Just take your time.

If you need advice on how to do it just ask.....or I'm sure it has been covered here previously

mark jackson

Hi, I'm actually a believer in not taking off the rails....It's unnecessary and you can still get a great cabinet re-spray job.....but the main reason is this....under the rails is the one place where most machines have an excellent ORIGINAL paint and colour of how it was when new. Why destroy this piece of treasure when you don't have to? ... and you can clean/de-rust the rails on the box. ... Cheers, Mark

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

I always remove them. Here's the advantages ;

1 - While the rails are off, you can regrain them with a straight edge and 360 Grit wet/dry
2 - You can replace the side rail nails

I sometimes remove the siderails JUST for the above points - without painting the cab.

Everyone has their reasons pro / con - as long as you are happy with the results - thats the main thing.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
I too say to take em off.
Clean em up and put em back on later like Nino described.
DW Drums rule !

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Whether or not i remove side rails depends on the stencilled designs on the cab.. ie if the art goes up under the rails or not, as an example, games like 6million dollar man or silverball mania.. the rails had to be removed in order to make the stencils in one piece.. if that makes sense. otherwise the stencils for each colour would've had to have been made in several pieces.. and a bloody nightmare getting them to all line up properly!!

on most of my games i was able to simply mask the siderails off to respray the cabs, it can be done if your handy with the masking tape... and you use good quality tape.

just my thoughts.. but i generally dont touch them unless its absolutely necessary, mainly for fear of scratching/ bending them!!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:08:16 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
pinballaustralia.com

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Tks a lot for all the feedback guys  ^^^
Looks like opinions are 50/50 .. in the case of this cabinet there's no artwork near the siderails so I may end up leaving em on .. not sure yet as I get the idea that new nails would make the finished product look better .

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
http://

I would take them off too. let's you properly clean and buff the rails, replace the nails and have consistency with the paint job.

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
I guess it would depend on how bad the artwork is . If it's pretty bad , flaking etc. or the cabinet itself has some dings , scratches I would remove the rails to give the cab a good sand back and fill any worn spots etc.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
I'm undecided , but now wavering towards removing them .. you can't really see in these pics but its flaking pretty badly and someone has previously done a bad job at painting the base colour (which is a light blue) in a white , on the front of the cab and along the triangular area on each side (the triangle facing towards the front) .

Offline v200juke

• Forum Posts:
If you do not remove rails it will make a new paint job look ordinary.I think it is easier removing them than masking around them.

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
 ^&^
Great new paint job, buffed polished rails and new screws and you will not believe the difference.

What have you got to loose?

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
^&^
Great new paint job, buffed polished rails and new screws and you will not believe the difference.

What have you got to loose?

J.D.

All too true J.D and after 41 years I guess this old girl deserves it eh .
I've put a LOT of time into this machine so far, so might as well finish it off properly eh   .
Have never played a game on it as yet either   &^&

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
I was in a similar position when I got my 1978 Playboy. Now I get to play it every day and admire the rails, nails and shine from end to end!
I would keep wondering if it would have looked better had I not taken the rails off but I have no regrets!

Did the same with Gorgar!

If you havent played it yet maybee the rush to play it needs to come into the equation?

J.D.