Author Topic: DIY hole protectors  (Read 486 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
DIY hole protectors
« on: September 26, 2009, 06:58:33 PM »
We have just been mucking around with idea of building our own hole protectors, below is a description of how to DIY for next to nothing...

Grab some Shim Steel (from an engineering supplies shop or bearing shop) - we used 0.15mm for a trial, but 0.25mm would be better - i grabbed a pack with a variety of thicknesses but most are too thin.

We then measured the dimensions of the hole and went 7mm onto the playfield and 7mm into the hole.

Then we drew the shape up in autocad and taped the printout (to scale) onto the steel and cut it out with a pair of industrial scissors.  To make it really nice, it would be best to grind the corner radius lightly as scissors don't give a real good corner.  Another tip would be to drill the internal corners so the steel doesn't tear when you fold it.

Then fold it over a square surface and install!!

We've only had a couple of games and it has some small dings but not very noticeable.

The benefit of DIYing (apart from no cost and satisfaction) is you can vary the width of the extension on the PF to cover wear if necessary.

This is only the power shed hold on my JP, but will add some pictures of the other ones when we get round to doing them.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: DIY hole protectors
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 07:54:37 PM »
looks great
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 10:43:30 PM »

Thats excellent !

JP has two sets of protectors. One is the normal set the other is the "ultra Thin". The Ultra Thin are great, but - as you are experiencing, they do "dint" after a while. Not only do they protect the playfield and cover up hole wear - they look great !

I think you are on to something. 
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 10:51:15 PM »
move over cliffy  @@*
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline indazone gav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 10:59:45 PM »
Well done for having the inititive to do these yourself. Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs but shouldn't the protector be on the front edge also?

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 11:12:22 PM »
Yeah, it would be nice but its not possible to cut it out of one piece of steel...

It takes a bit of thinking to work out how to draw it and make cuts, but luckily my mate is far better at drawing on autocad than me so once measured they all fitted perfectly.  You just need to really think about how/where to make cuts. 

I will be doing them also for Hook, Black Rose, Popeye, IJ, and STTNG, so if anyone wants the diagrams i can easily email them.

Offline pinmadd

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 04:49:06 AM »
well done  #*#  i would be keen for the BR diagrams, i have a mate  that does sheet metal fab so i can give to him and see what he comes back with  *)*
he also is looking after my LAH pin ,...so i will get the ball rolling on some protectors for that too,  ^^^

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 01:19:48 PM »
Good job, just make sure the shim steel you select is stainless steel shim or eventually your hole protector will get some surface rust on it.  ^^^

Marty Machine

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 03:44:40 AM »
Cool stuff,

You might want to also add some form of bracing behind the shim, something .5mm that slips (wedges) in between the shim steel and the ply-edge.
This re-enforcing addition should prevent ball-dents.

In fact, if you cut the shim pattern with some extra folding tabs, you could fold the shim to hold the .5mm backing in place....
Then it becomes a 1-piece drop-in soloution.

MM

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 08:12:27 AM »
Good job, just make sure the shim steel you select is stainless steel shim or eventually your hole protector will get some surface rust on it.  ^^^

+1 : The stainless should be a wee bit harder - should be a bit harder to ping? (Than mild steel)
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...