Author Topic: Underrated Pinballs #1 - Terminator 3 - Rise of the Machines  (Read 558 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Underrated Pinballs #1 - Terminator 3 - Rise of the Machines
« on: October 16, 2009, 09:52:46 AM »

Since moving a T3 into my gamesroom (albeit temporarily), this game has "grown on me" after I dismissed it as being too "metal" and having too many ramps. I now find myself REALLY enjoying this machine to the point where I "lose" an hour EASILY just having a few games. I didn't realize until recently that the game was designed by Steve Richie - and I guess if the ramps were plastic and the art was a bit brighter - you would see the hallmarks of his design more clearly. However - the metal ramps blend in with the theme perfectly. T-X Multiball is the best feature of this machine, with Jackpots and Super Jackpots alternating on how quickly you can knock down the target and have a second ball follow for Super Jackpot. I'm not really a fan of "Video Modes" and thankfully - I've only seen one of these modes on T3. RPG is a little different, but it really suits the game - I guess they could have left it out - but it is still a cool feature. The game flows easily, but it is not the easiest game to master all modes. I'm yet to do that - but then again, I don't "master" any machines as I don't play them often enough to "learn" how to accomplish them.

Arnie's voice is just hilarious - At the start of every ball - "Shoowt Heyaa and Heyaa"  %.%

I definitely prefer T3 to some of the newer Sterns - Definitely a "sleeper" machine that I've grown to enjoy.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline silverball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
I have owned a t2 and was lucky to pick up an excellent t3. Much prefer the T3,gameplay is similar just more fun with some great shots IMO.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Never seen one in the flesh, its on the to do list.  ()

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Now that i know it was designed by Steve Richie i will be on the hunt to play one and if i like it i will add it to my wish list
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Maxprofits

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat, Victoria
Now that i know it was designed by Steve Richie i will be on the hunt to play one and if i like it i will add it to my wish list
I haven't played one either but will be having a few games when I find one as I now know that it is a Steve Richie pin.
The thicken plots.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Silverball introducted me to T3 and I must agree its a great game.  I must also mention my excellent skills as a T2 player came well into play.  Just ask Dave about my score!!!

I do like the RGP feature too!

Offline bigdaddy

• Forum Posts:
  • WTB: Phantom of the Opera
Never played one.  Hope to one day. Looks like a cracker of a machine. Just love those machines that grow on you that aren't hyped up because of a name.
WTB - Phantom of the Opera

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Cool game and great to see a game with real steel ramps, at least you know you will never have to replace those babies Nino  *)*

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Cool game and great to see a game with real steel ramps, at least you know you will never have to replace those babies Nino  *)*

Yep  @@*

Just a regrain with Windex and a green scotchbrite !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
T3 is a a real nice looking machine. anyone would love to have T3 in their gamesroom.
They tend to attract real good money as well, unless u r lucky n find one for a bargain. High Resale prices dont tend to be a problem.
But since it looks amazing and plays well, i guess its par for the course.

I saw a guy sell one to ken priest in QLD pinball warehouse.It wasnt there for more than 20 minutes when a customer walked in and jumped on it, and proclaimed "i want it" no matter what, for which ken said "show me the money".

It was sold within ten minutes of being unloaded by the first bloke. Great looking machine for sure.  ^^^  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
I last plated T3 some 16months ago @ an arcade at Garden City, I do remeber the cool backglass feature with the ping-pong ball, very unique, great artwork.

You don't seem to see many for sale, after reading earlier posts I can now understand why.
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne

sorry guys

once a dog always a dog

never liked t3

sold the last 3 we had for 3500 - 4000

give me t2 anyday

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Once a dog , always a dog ?
Dont think so !

It would appear that time has changed perspective on this most EXCELLENT game.
Have had around 6 other pinheads visit my home since owning this T3
ALL of them agree it is an outstanding game to play that gives good ball time, looks  GREAT , is superbly flowy and a challenge to get through at the same time.
2 of them have owned T2’s in the past and stated this is a superior game.
No it is NOT one of the ‘A’ titles – but it certainly isn’t a Z title either.

I always set my games on hard/extra hard settings and I have done so with this T3

The overall ‘feel’ of play is fantastic – superb flow from the 3 ramps as well as the ‘orbit’ shot(s) as well as 2 centre shots available, 1 for Multiball Locks and the other a Captive Ball to start RED mode.
Talk of this game being a ‘drain monster’ from a mis-hit LOCK shot , in my opinion are totally unjustified and has only happened once that I recall after many games.
The ‘heart-beat’ when hitting the RED mode captive ball sounds SICK and a Pinball Pro sub will become part of my T3 in order to enhance this further.
The plunger is , of course, a gun.

Modes – that go towards the FINAL Battle

This ‘dog’ has 5 modes to achieve in order to make it to the Final Battle and THEN onto a wizard mode.

One thing I like is that you MUST score a Super Jackpot in order to achieve that mode – if you start Multiball and DONT get 2 or 3 Jackpots and THEN the Super Jackpot then you must start Multiball again to try for SJ again – without this you WONT get to the Final Battle – it isn’t the hardest SJ shot in a game that I have ever come across, but regardless, the pressure is ON to get it.

The backbox game ( RPG ) in T3 at least works itself into the game nicely , I owned a CV a while back and while I LOVE CV as a game, the backbox game in CV is pretty useless compared to the one in T3
RPG plays out like a Hurry Up – the score starts at 10 million and counts down FAST – you have to hit the 5 x RPG targets before the score gets down to ONE million and RPG ends – there are 3 styles of the RPG game and again you MUST get all 3 before you will be awarded the RPG mode to progress through to the FINAL Battle.  To get into RPG you have to first hit the 3 right stand ups which light RPG in the right orbit shot.  RPG can be turned OFF in settings and you will automatically get 5 million and be awarded RPG – WHY would anyone do that?

Payback time is the same as on T2 – you have to hit the A & B ramps a total of 5 times in left / right order ( and vice versa ) to light Payback time and then score big points on the ramp shots for around 20 seconds after that.

Max Escape is achieved by ‘maxxing’ the escape scores from shots to the right orbit – with a game set on extra hard these reset after each ball, meaning you must get all the way through this ( 6 shots )  in the same ball in order to be awarded MAX ESCAPE – it is a sweet shot that takes you up to the rollover lanes, to the TX challenge VUK or a complete orbit loop back to the left flipper depending on the diverter and where you are up to in the game.

Assault – is a crazy 4 ball multiball mode – to get to Assault you have to spot ALL of the ( 6 ) Command Centre Levels on the left side of the playfield, EACH Command Centre Level is LIT by getting to the top 3 rollover lanes and completing them ( on the 2nd time around the game makes you include the 4 in/outlanes in order to achieve a Command Centre Level which is TOUGH ) – after you achieve a Command Centre Level you can then shoot the left orbit shot to obtain it – these are Spot ( collect ) Weapons, Extra Ball, Hurry Up and Video Mode and then finally Assault – these Security Levels stack.
There is a mode inside Assault where not only are you playing 4 balls but you ALSO have to use the RPG gun/ backbox game at the same time – I had read about this and have only had it happen once.

Theres more to do than that.

RED – now how cool is RED !
It is simple BUT there is ‘something’ about it- EVERYONE comments on it.
Hit the Captive Ball 3 times ( on moderate settings/ 5 on hard ) and you start RED.
The game goes into a Gorgar style heartbeat and you have 20 seconds to hit the flashing shots – all this time the playfield is predominantly flashing a deep red in colour.
During this ‘mode’ you can hit the centre ’B’ ramp and add 5 seconds ( continually ) to extend this mode.

Video Mode - Some like em – some hate em – I am right in the middle , I find video modes in pinball machines ‘OK’
Same mode as T2 essentially , where you use flipper buttons to move cross-hairs to shoot at things.

TX Challenge is a shot into the TX VUK and you have a a starting tally of 2.5 million and 5 seconds ( counts down in second increments and loses 500,000 each count ) to hit ANY major shot and be awarded the points – if your shot is into the TX ( lock ball ) lane then you get an additional TX xhallenge.

Mystery Points are available in the right orbit shot after hitting the ? target on the left of the playfield ‘X’ times. Like most DMD games Mystery will pick from a selection of around a dozen random awards and give you one of them – this can be X Bonus, Extra Ball, start RPG etc etc etc.

BLITZ is a mode that I haven’t achieved yet – but apparently it is scored from stacking the Command Centre awards on the left side and then starting 3 of them together – unsure how this works yet.

Bullet Holes and Collect Weapons – this is done to build points and achieved via the ‘skinny’ B lane and has some nice animations and sounds.

Quick Draw – in the middle of one game I get told by Arnie to “graaaaaab the gaaaaarn ( gun )”  and you have to shoot at a terminator on the DMD screen mid ball.

Plunger Choices -  there is no skill shot on this game oddly enough – you can however select different things to start when plunging the ball – you can Lock a Ball, Start RPG, start a TX Challenge and add Bonus X from memory.

Dots and Sounds

Ask yourself – can you get anything cooler than Arnie talking to you throughout a pinball game?
I really enjoy the absolute monotone deadpan Arnie quotes.
Have a bad ball in a certain mode and Arnie say’s ‘ You missed EVERATHIIIING !
Hilarious

Some of the animations are outstanding – the Ball Saved and Kick Back feature an image of Arnie firing gatling guns or machine guns – it is pretty frickin cool
Not sure if similar animations are used somewhere in T2 or not?

What could be improved.

Not a lot IMO.

The only thing that is slightly ‘disappointing’ ( for want of a better word ) is the overall appearance of the translate when this game sits amongst other machines – because it has the game in the backbox it isn’t as ‘lit up’ and ‘pretty’ as other pieces of artwork and looks a little dull – on its own I am sure this wouldn’t even stand out.

Some people think the Arnie head looks a little ‘cheesy’ but I don’t ( or maybe wont allow myself to ) see it.

I hope this gives some of you a better insight into this game
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:12:42 PM by Wotto »
DW Drums rule !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Definitely not a "dog", and streets ahead of a T2  @.@ - especially if they are done properly  ^^^

Great write up, Wotto, and interestingly enough, a few members were hoping the game was still on the market. There is a demand for this title, and certainly the deeper ruleset (than T2) and the LED show make this game a VERY good player. Already miss it mate ! I think that as a game, it has become more desirable over the last 2 years.

I think with the added MODs, it looks AWESOME !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Wow, great write up mate, and I agree, this game is miles away from being a dog. One of the really good efforts from Stern from that era, and coupled with the great theme makes for a lot of fun. T2 is a fun game with great speed, but has a weak ruleset by comparison.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”