Author Topic: Creature Prototype Restoration  (Read 8581 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Creature Prototype Restoration
« Reply #105 on: December 24, 2009, 09:09:19 AM »

From watching the news of late - it look COLD over there in the USA. More Snow than I've ever seen. Yesterday, it was 39 Degrees Celsius in my garage - Too hot to do anything but drink Beer !

I'm off to buy boxes of the 3M Scotchbrite. The results are stunning.

Can't wait to see your playfield !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #106 on: December 24, 2009, 09:12:42 AM »

From watching the news of late - it look COLD over there in the USA. More Snow than I've ever seen. Yesterday, it was 39 Degrees Celsius in my garage - Too hot to do anything but drink Beer !

I'm off to buy boxes of the 3M Scotchbrite. The results are stunning.

Can't wait to see your playfield !

The cheapest I found was that place in Thomastown....

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #107 on: December 24, 2009, 10:00:05 AM »
The instructions for the plastidip are pretty straight forward.

Mix the contents of the can

Make sure the parts are clean of grease and other contaminants

Slowly lower the part to be coated into the can at a speed of approx 1 inch every 5 seconds

Remove the part at about the same speed

Wait 30 minutes between coats

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #108 on: December 24, 2009, 05:23:39 PM »
So, let's add some photos to the plasti-dip discussion..

Lock lever removed from game, note the lack of the yellow insulating sleeve. In earlier WPC games, the sleeve did not exist, and there were issues. Funhouse had an issue where the coin door GI shorted against the bracket, and ate fuses.

Measuring up the original damaged cover

Once the part is dipped, it has to hang to dry. You need to wait 30 minutes between coats, and 4 hours to dry before touching.

So, I took a couple drywall screws, and ran them into my workbench to hold the part directly above the concrete floor - should the plasti-dip drip, it will be easy to clean up on concrete.

Then, I test fit the part, to make sure my hanging arrangement would work

First coat applied

First coat after 30 minutes

2nd coat applied

Finished product, after waiting 4 hours from 2nd coat:

A 3rd coat might have been nice, 2 was pretty dang close on thickness and had adequate coverage. I decided that I'd stick with 2, would hate to do a 3rd and have something go wrong. Color is pretty close, too.

Close up

Reinstalled

Note: I removed the screws from the front of the workbench when I was finished - they would do a pretty ugly number on my shins if I walked into them - and with my luck, I *would*!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #109 on: December 25, 2009, 12:03:42 PM »

Even has the authentic "drip" at the bottom of the handle - Great Job  @@*
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2009, 05:33:31 PM »
Very impressed with that John.  I don't think that product is available down here but it certainly looks 100% authentic.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #111 on: December 25, 2009, 06:16:34 PM »
That looks Great John.    I can think of another use for that but i wouldnt keep it hard long enough for it to dry  @.@   As it would need to be one dirty woman for me to want to go to that extreme.    Sorry might be the JW talking  *)*

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2010, 02:51:43 AM »
After dealing with some really, really cold weather, and fixing up a MB, I'm back to the CFTBL project.

Since I am still waiting on a couple parts for my new rotisserie, I decided to go ahead and tackle the sound system.

The original speakers all had some damage. After digging through parts bins, it became obvious that I was out of 'good used' speakers, and doing some searching, new speakers were available for the most part, and for 30-35 USD, I should be able to source a NOS set of speakers.

I've always been intrigued by the 'Pinball Pro' speakers, but being a cheap arse, I decided that I would try to roll my own solution.

I've read Tony Dziedzic's speaker replacement guide more than once. It has lots of good info. After reading through it several times, I decided on the scope of my project.

Anything I do to the machine must be 100% reversible, since it's a rare game. While some of the ultra cool speaker setups involve using car audio amplifiers, huge subwoofers etc, that's not what I'm looking for in this machine. Other machines in my restoration queue may get that treatment, though. I would like to get slightly better sound. I would like to keep the price lower than pinball pro speakers, but realize that it may take a few games to get the average down - meaning specialized tools may be required that would make the first game, or first couple games, on average cost more than a pinball pro setup. Of course, the project must be *fun*, otherwise, it's not worth doing.

So, I decided to go the route of replacing the original cabinet speaker with another 6.5 inch woofer, but of better quality. One challenge with CFTBL is the cabinet projector assy. While there are many good 8 inch woofers on the market, I don't want to permanently modify the cabinet - and even if I wanted to, I'm not sure I could make it clear the projector beam. I settled on a 6.5 inch pioneer speaker.

So, I unbolted the original speaker, and installed the new one

Some folks re-wire, add mixers, etc so they can balance the sound as they like. Maybe on my next project!

The speaker panel was the major level of contention. I went to the parts pile, and grabbed a speaker panel from a game I've parted out in the past. I don't recall exactly which game, that's not important. For the most part, the games are the same - unless there's a lamp board below the DMD. Since CFTBL didn't have one, that made it a lot easier, I can leave the 'original' board 'original'. The original design had a 3 inch tweeter on one side, and a 5-1/4 midrange on the other. The sound isn't balanced, as the speakers on each side aren't equivalent. A good solution is to put a 5-1/4 '2 way' speaker (meaning it is a 2-piece speaker with a midrange and a tweeter in one package, plus internal circuitry to send the right sound frequencies to each of the speakers). However, they won't bolt right up to the original panel. So, that's why I'm modifying an extra panel.

Employing the help of my father, I set out to make an alignment jig, to hopefully speed this process up in the future - if you remember, the design was to be able to repeat this job on other games. The jig took the longest - Dad is a perfectionist. We ended up with this after some hours. It has stops to align the speaker panel correctly, a pilot hole to center the circle cutter in the speaker panel, and a hole to hang it on the wall. The materials are really much nicer material than necessary, the nice thing of working with my Father is that he has scrap piles of stuff, so I often get better quality parts than I would if I were just buying stuff off shelf at a hardware store.

Once bolting the speaker panel to the jig, I cut the hole for the 5-1/4 speaker, so both sides match. The circle cutter used takes a good 10 minutes to slowly make the cut. It also might be my underpowered hobbyist drill press, which was a 'hand me down' from Dad's wood shop years ago when he upgraded. It still suits my needs, so I'll use it til it dies. By then, Dad may be ready for another upgrade :) If not, I'll venture out and replace it.

I pressed 4 new tee nuts into the panel to receive the new speaker. Sorry, I neglected to take a picture of drilling the holes, or the recesses for the tee nuts, but Tony's webpage explains it, really not hard. He makes a nice template to tape on the panel to indicate where to drill, and tells you what types of bits to use. Then, instead of hammering a tee nut in, I use a screw with a large washer to pull the new tee nuts in. I have better luck this way.

I picked up a set of 5-1/4 car speakers made by pyle. Back in my young, rude days when I had one of those cars with 2000 watts of power, thousands of dollars of subwoofers and rims etc, I would've turned my nose up at pyle. However, I'm not looking for high performance, I'm looking for a reasonable price that will sound OK on the 25 watt amp on the sound board that is shared with the sub. One challenge with car audio speakers like these is that they have the dome tweeter, which projects in front of the speaker. This presents a problem due to depth, as if the tweeter touches the speaker grill, you have to make spacers. I cheated a little here, talked with a buddy who had recently done this job. He used this brand and model of speakers, so I just ordered the same ones. Here they are, mounted

And another pic, with some plain speaker grilles (I'll put the Creature ones on later)

And a rear pic, before cleaning up the panel:

Sanded (slightly stained under the weatherstripping that seals stray light from sneaking in around the DMD, which will get covered again, so no issue). Front gets roughed up too so paint will stick.

Masked (so paint won't run behind the panel and ruin my work sanding it out), vacuumed off, tac ragged, etc. Ready for paint!

Paint sprayed

I don't have to be as careful painting this piece, as the final product will be covered up. Just need to make sure everything is painted. So, I laid on a slightly thick coat, and didn't worry if it had slight runs, or took longer to dry.

I'll adapt a harness from a junk game so I can keep the original panel plug and play.

So, let's look at costs

Cab speaker - $25
Panel speakers -  $25
Subtotal 50 USD

Specialized tools for the project
Circle Cutter - $20
Specialized drill bits for drilling panel and making tee nut recesses - $20
Subtotal $40 USD

Not bad. Cheaper than a set of pinball pros. Of course, the jig took time to make, and I already had the drill press.

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2010, 05:14:46 PM »
Is this thread a sticky yet?

Title could be: "How to do it properly..."

Top shelf John!  ^^^
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2010, 05:32:02 PM »
Great work john, any chance of when this panel is completed you could video the finished panel so we can here how good the sound quality is now with the car audio speakers  $&&

Cheers

v8racefan
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2010, 06:09:50 PM »
Is this thread a sticky yet?

Title could be: "How to do it properly..."

Top shelf John!  ^^^

Thanks for the kind words. There's a great community of restorers on this site as well as the RGP newsgroup and it's nice when we can share information. I've had lots of great help on this stuff in the past, and try to share to return the favor!

Great work john, any chance of when this panel is completed you could video the finished panel so we can here how good the sound quality is now with the car audio speakers  $&&

Cheers

v8racefan

I don't own a true video camera, but have a DSLR and a cell phone that can shoot video. I'll see what I can do when I get to that point.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to work some sort of a crossover into the subwoofer circuit to block the correct frequencies, but am not super keen about drilling extra holes or modifying wiring. I have some ideas, though!

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2010, 04:17:38 PM »
Great work John  ^^^

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2010, 07:07:49 PM »
Creature lives!

I fired it up for the first time ever - and it worked! This to me is a victory - I've rebuilt lots and lots of boards, and restored my fair share of games, but this is the first time I've ever plunked a board set in a game and had it work 100% right off the bat. Usually, I find that I damaged a trace and didn't repair it, or didn't replace some part that was bad, etc. This time, it just worked.

Hopefully, that's a good sign going forward :) The DMD is brand new but looks dim due to the flash.

The game came to me in parts. This is the most dangerous type of project IMO because you never know what is good and what is bad when you put it back together, and you don't know whether something was always bad, or whether you caused the problem with something you did.

I did learn an important thing, should you ever restore a CFTBL - if the flipper opto boards are not plugged in, the projector will NOT work. The way the 12 volts is fed to the projector does some daisy chaining, and without the opto boards, the voltage won't make it. And you'll spend the day tracing the wires trying to figure out why it isn't working :) Don't ask me how I know this!

The car speakers sound GOOD.  You can see the tweeters through the speaker grilles, since they are blue, and the speaker cones are grey, so they are kinda visible, too, but they sound good.

A good quality 6.5 inch sub rumbles the cab with the volume turned all the way up.

The original speaker panel waits, should I desire to return to original.

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2010, 07:44:51 PM »
This is a great project!

Keep up the top shelf work John!!

el_timbo

Offline Gordo