Author Topic: LED images  (Read 580 times)

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
LED images
« on: December 04, 2008, 10:24:37 PM »
Hey all,

Anyone got any nice 'night shots' of 90's pins they have installed LEDS into?
Have heard a lot about these but seen little.
Sounds interesting, might spend some bucks on em if they look as good as what I keep hearing.

Cheers
DW Drums rule !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: LED images
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:51:42 PM »
Martyj posted a thread about these in his T2, with some vids I recall http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=262.0

Cheers,
Nick
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 11:57:31 PM »
Worth spending as they really bring out the inserts. I have installed the "older" style but will be getting some from Greg to try on TZ. I think his might be better as it took me awhile to get them (#555's) working. A lot of adjusting the contacts etc. Once going you just don't touch them in fear of losing contact again
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 04:12:27 PM »
Have often thought about these LEDS but ill just have to wait to see some in the flesh didnt turn out so well in my coffee table

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 04:52:58 PM »
depends on the quality of the leds,
also if you drive them with to much current they will be nice and bright for a few mins or hours but after that they go down hill.
leds don't like spike or surges or transients.if you want to get the maximum life out of them they are best run on a regulated dc power supply.( with a surge protector on the output of the power sup.)
in a piball machine the g.i is pretty constant (but its a.c.) but the voltage to the insert lights vary a bit which can make a big difference to the current getting to the leds
if the resistor that is in series with your led is worked out to drive the led at 25ma @ 5volts & your supply goes to 6 volts then you will be over driving them.
also they will run on a.c. but they will flicker slightly, i.e. if you are running them on a 50hz supply they will only be on 25 times a second.
don't forget they are a semiconductor.
if you need anymore info on this i will be happy to answer any questions as best i can.
i was once employed to design circuit boards and power supplies and assemble these for led lighting for 10 years.
hope this helps
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 04:55:54 PM by Beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)