Author Topic: brisbane cheap  (Read 910 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: brisbane cheap
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2009, 11:09:44 PM »
Got this pin home today . Am very happy with it . First of all a BIG thanks to Tony Turner of The Pinball Shed in QLD for his help in getting this pin ready for transport for me (even though it was a private ebay sale) .

Condition wise the pin is in pretty good shape . It fires up and plays 100% . The backglass is awesome . It's probably about a 9 out of 10 . Almost perfect . The playfield is nice . Very , very minimal wear . It is almost entirely covered by mylar which is pretty dirty around the edges and has even started coming off in a few small spots at the edges of it so I may look at removing it but will have to pluck up the courage to do it  @@^. Needs all new rubbers and quite a few globes but I am stoked with it .

Will take some pics tomorrow and post them .

Very pleased to see that bargains are still around. "Who dares, Wins" - Well done on the purchase and lets see the pictures  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 11:26:45 PM »
Here's the pics as promised guys.

Pic 1 and 2 show the PF . Very grubby but wear is very minimal .

Pic 3 shows the worst of the mylar edge lift in the right hand return lane ... NOTE ALSO - The slingshot rubber (or lack of) ...  @.@ . Cracks me up to wonder what some people are thinking when you see stuff like this . The mylar has also been cut at the 50,000 bonus inserts in the middle of the playfield . I think that at some stage the mylar has bubbled and it has been cut to get it to lay flat .

Pic 4 shows the rear of the backglass . It's pretty darn sweet !!

Might start a seperate resto thread on this pin but at this stage I'm still not sure how far I want to go with it . Gonna take it one step at a time - first one of which is plucking up the courage to take the mylar off .
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:14:25 PM by CruiserMan »

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2009, 11:31:08 PM »
Well Scott,

This gets the best eGay pinball buy of 2009 from me hands down

Good on you mate  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 11:33:15 PM »
Nice !

Looks to me that it COULD be contact - not mylar. If it is thin - it is contact, and it MAY come off easy. Look for "ball swirl" under the contact/mylar. If there is evidence of wear under the contact/mylar - then I would lean towards leaving it and consider the Treasurecove polishing kit and some general trimming of the contact/mylar.

Maybe try a test spot first and see how you go. You might have a pristine playfield to match the backglass !

By all means - start a resto thread  ^^^

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2009, 11:41:03 PM »

Pic 3 shows the worst of the mylar edge lift in the right hand return lane ... NOTE ALSO - The slingshot rubber (or lack of) ...  @.@ . Cracks me up to wonder what some people are thinking when you see stuff like this . The mylar has also been cut at the 50,000 bonus inserts in the middle of the playfield . I think that at some stage the mylar has bubbled and it has been cut to get it to lay flat .

Hi - I was working at a large amusement machine company when this era of machines was released. It was very common for us to cover the playfields with plain old 'contact' - yes, the stuff you cover schoolbooks with!

Everyone craps on about the 'mylar' but in reality it was down to a few guys like me that were doing our best to prevent PF damage. (to my knowledge) in thos days the machines NEVER came from the agents with ANY covering on the PF.

Here's what we did:

New machine would arrive and we would assemble and play it for an hour or so. Then we would take a Nikko pen (texta to you young guys) and look directly down to the PF through the glass and draw the outline of where we wanted to protect directly onto the glass. Generally the outfit I worked for bought several of the same machine at a time so we would take a roll of ordinary 'contact' and double or triple it up over the glass.

Then we would cut the contact as required to clear PB and slingshots etc. When it was chopped up I would peel the backing of the contact and spray the glue side liberally with a light mixture of soapy water and slap it onto the PF.

I would then sqeegee out any (most) bubbles and put it all together ready to site.

So all of this talk of 'Mylar' is mostly complete rubbish from my extensive experience in the industry at that time. It is just plain old contact.

Maybe that accounts for the reason it is now hard to remove - I don't know.

In the case of this machine it is very possible that I covered the PF - how scary is that????
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline MrMaloo

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2009, 11:54:48 PM »
I hope it is "easy-to-remove" Contact guys . It would explain the cuts at the 50,000 bionic bonus area and I did notice that the areas cut out for the pop bumpers wasn't lined up all that great . Thanks for the tip Nino I'll go right over it tomorrow and see if I can see any marks underneath it .

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2009, 12:02:18 AM »
I remember the old days when Dad would pick up the NIB machines from the docks. He would unpack them in his building and then assemble. Test for 15 minutes and then strip ALL the playfield parts and roll down some Contact. He made a tool that "cut out" the mylar around the posts, so that when the playfield was re assembled, the contact would not "curl" and lift. I vividly recall the day he lined up a couple of KISS, Paragon and a Dolly Parton and installed the contact. Often, multiples of titles were done to ensure re assembly was done properly.

It was funny to see the Paragon have the contact installed as the standard width of the roll of contact was too thin. A second roll was used, and the "join" was perfect ! Years later, I removed the contact to reveal an exceptionally nice playfield.

The first NIB machine he did was Stern "Pinball" in 1977. First NIB Bally was Eight Ball. He also did a Solar Ride around this time - Which I found in storage 10 years ago. The contact took 20 minutes to remove and uncover a perfect playfield.

He had tested it on EMs for a few years after he found the playfields were wearing out too quickly.

Offline MrMaloo

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2009, 12:06:47 AM »
What methods did you use to get the contact off Nino ???  Did you freeze/heat or just peel it off .

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2009, 12:08:08 AM »
What methods did you use to get the contact off Nino ???  Did you freeze/heat or just peel it off .

Heat gun is the way to go.....AND TAKE YOUR TIME!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2009, 12:13:37 AM »

Paragon - Stubborn - just the hair dryer set to low heat and TONS of patience

Solar Ride - Nothing - just peeled it off in chunks. It was VERY thin.

Star Trek - Hair Dryer, just a little paint lift

6MDM -  Hair Dryer, just a little paint lift

Supersonic -  Hair Dryer - no paint lift

Playboy - A disaster - VERY worn out machine, paint lifted in the white areas and the center bonus section. Gavin has this playfield !

These are games that Dad did in the old days. I've done others with what I believe to be contact with good results.

I've never really seen the traditional "mylar" on SS machines..

Offline blue95

• Forum Posts:
  • Hunter Valley
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2009, 12:00:42 AM »
Tht looks like a pretty good deal