Author Topic: Stern has a new partner  (Read 677 times)

Offline bwodie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Stern has a new partner
« on: December 03, 2009, 09:11:56 AM »

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: Stern has a new partner
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 09:36:18 AM »
Interesting development indeed - sounds like they needed an injection of capital and a bit more marketing nous.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 09:43:26 AM »
great news

one thing that caught my eye was the words "change of product".
i hope they mean more pins and not changing their product to poker machines or something like that.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 10:42:36 AM »

This is great news for Pinball. The first order of the day was to contact Stern Reps and owners and ask for their input. This is a great start

It will also quash the quarterly BS rumor that Stern are closing down or going broke etc.. etc..  !!@

Interesting times for Stern, and good news for Pinball  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 12:13:09 PM »
Great news, hopefully it can keep pinball alive  *%*

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 12:30:11 PM »
sounds good indeed

but think about sum1 owning Stern who sees it as more of profit venture then Gary has, someone who maybe more likely to force closure if profit margins cant be met

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 01:16:08 PM »
sounds good indeed

but think about sum1 owning Stern who sees it as more of profit venture then Gary has, someone who maybe more likely to force closure if profit margins cant be met

Not to sound negative but....
Thats exactly what I thought when I read about the guy who had bought into it  ^&(

The way these 'corporate' guys operate these days is ALL about money and money NOW.
We can only hope this guy is ALSO a passionate pinhead at heart  !@#
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:18:40 PM by Wotto »
DW Drums rule !

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 01:28:48 PM »
Great news  $#$

Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline punter

• Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 07:50:06 PM »
Pinball machines need exposure,this is the way to go forward.One comment was about getting these machines into areas where the public can see them and purchase without a big outlay upfront.This is exactly what i have said any time this subject is brought up.Fact is there are not as many arcade rooms around any more for people to view and play the machines.If you want to compete with the video games ect you have to have your product in as many outlets as possible.If the machines were available in the big department stores,Harvey Norman,Domayne,Bing Lee ect for the interest free terms you would sell plenty.You have got to go for the home market if you want pinball to grow.If you cannot see it how are you going to buy it,as these type of outlets have thousands of people through their doors on a  yearly basis.If you do not change with the times then it will be all over.Keep the prices reasonable and no doubt world wide you could keep the industry alive if not your gone.My family owned 2 amusement centres in the illawarra and both are now gone.I have seen and spoken to many of the patrons that used to come in and when i tell them about having a few pinball machines the first thing they say is i want one and where can i get it from.There is a market out there,so if you want to sell,put them where people can see them.

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 10:37:41 AM »
My family owned 2 amusement centres in the illawarra and both are now gone.

Which ones Tony?

Offline punter

• Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 04:44:21 PM »
My family owned 2 amusement centres in the illawarra and both are now gone.

Which ones Tony?

The old Jacks in Wollongong and Pockets in Fairy Meadow.My father was a partner in both,but after a couple of years he kept Jacks for himself and had it for years after that.

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 05:14:54 PM »

The old Jacks in Wollongong and Pockets in Fairy Meadow.My father was a partner in both,but after a couple of years he kept Jacks for himself and had it for years after that.

Ah good old Jacks  *%*

Back in the late(ish) 80's we used to go into town.  Have a bit of a  ().  Hang out at Jacks for a while, then head up to Big Rooster to score some free chicken and chips out the back from a mate who used to work there  &&.  Good times.

Offline Prince

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 06:57:21 PM »
Aren't they already gone??? that is their staff?
(going by those pics from the Expo Stern tour....there's no-one there in the warehouse....only kidding).

Ok, how many guys are buying the re-run models?? And you think the home market is going to be enough for this company to survive....

I'm yet to see/play any NEW Stern pinballs on site here in Melbourne (CSi, 24 & NBA). Anyone else seen these?

Mr. GS can afford to shut down the doors and halt production - his done enough on branding his name and pinball in general. The answer i'm waiting for is whether he'll sell up his rights etc...
SC.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 12:36:10 AM »

I have tried to stay away from this

as Damien and I knew about it from our last trip , this can only be good for pinball . without someone ( anyone ) making pinball our hobby is DEAD
its just about antinques  so to speak ......  we need new pins

it has been a long year for us

so many trips  so many meetings

glad to say  I have meet and talked to Gene ,  glad to have spoken also to Gary and Jolly

all i say is BRING on 2010   and watch out 

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 01:22:35 AM »
Aaahh a few beers and i feel i have to have an input...

Stern have been dying in the arse for some time... lame old agenda rolled out time and time again, CSI - holy frig...... the themed pin.. it went backwards with this..

But saying that - i DO ;like Batman Dark Knight and you honestly have to put your coin on the lock down bar to get a game in the local Laser Force - back to the good old days!!!

But in all honesty STERN were floundering and its really is only a matter ofd time till the doors closed... an injection of funds.. some new marketing and a move AWAY from bloody 15 year old DMD would be good! If pinball survives then it MUST move with the times - it always has till now and my games room is a testament to the various genres of pinball.
FACT - Pinball is dead apart from us nostalgic sad bastards and we cant own em all..

so... injection of funds and a NEW era of pinball is required.. this needs a new think tank and im sorry to say but if they are die hard pinball fans then they will remain in the past and not the future... new generation of interactive pinball is upon us i hope..

Think of the revolutions that are now standard.. think of the effect they had when they came out.. think of the die hard Bagatelle men that snorted at it all back in 1910 .. think of the demise of counter top.... the shocking impact flippers had.. then they get placed AT THE BOTTOM !! GASP!!!... Think of Add a Ball... think off SS electronics... think of speech.. think of DMD.... Its been a very interesting journey and Stern have done NOTHING to further it... In all honesty, STERN have ridden the back of pinball all the way.. from copying BALLY to now - absolute ZERO innovation.

Well, they are our last hope and im hoping that a complete change in the STERN way of thinking is on the horizon... bring it on!! It is after all the ONLY chance of innovation and therefore only chance of a new generation of pinball.. and we need one fast