Author Topic: Sunday Pinball Questionaire - 51 - felixthadog  (Read 3716 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Sunday Pinball Questionaire - 51 - felixthadog
« on: December 06, 2009, 03:26:30 PM »

Matt - Feel free to do it this week or next - whenever you are ready  ^^^

1. Earliest pinball memory?
2. All time favorite pin? Why?
3. Favorite pinball manufacture?
4. Favorite game in your collection? Why?
5. How long have you been collecting?
6. First game and how did you find it?
7. Do you still have it?
8. What are you currently working on?
9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?
10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?
11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!
12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought
13. Describe your collection
14. Describe your gamesroom
15. Do you have other games other than pinball?
16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years?

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Re: Sunday Pinball Questionaire - 51 - felixthadog
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 03:40:27 PM »
cmon Matt
 $!&

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 03:42:05 PM »
1. Earliest pinball memory?

It was 1981, and I was 5. My next door neighbour was an Arcade operator and he was always bringing home arcade machines (Moon Patrol, Space Invaders, Pacman etc) and fixing them in his garage. I would loiter whilst he did his repairs, and he would let me play the machines that were fixed and ready to go back on site. I think he liked the fact that I took an interest in the machines, because often he would yell out over the back fence that he needed my help or that he had a new machine in the garage for me to see. One day, he informed me that he had a "special" machine for me to see, so I high-tailed it to his garage full of excitement and expectation. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it - a Pinball machine. The game was Stellar Wars. It was so different from all the machines I had seen before - the lights, the colours, the silver ball! I was allowed to play some games on it, but of course being 5 and the machine being a widebody, the games didn't last very long! It was the first and last pinball machine I remember seeing in my neighbours garage, I think he did most of his pinball repairs on-site but I was thankful that I was given the opportunity to see and play a pinball machine so early in my life.

I can't recall playing another pinball machine until 1989. My family used to go to Merrimbula for the September school holidays, my cousin and I would get pocket money for doing the dishes every night after dinner so we spent every day at Top Fun. It was mostly arcade machines, but there was always a couple of pins too. I was so crap at playing pinball (nothing's changed) that I didn't spend too much money on them but was happy to watch others chasing the elusive silver ball. My memory is a bit blurry, but I can remember there was a High Speed, a Funhouse and an Addams Family over the years.

My greatest pinball memory was working at Timezone in 1995/6. In particular, working on the second level at Timezone in Bourke Street, Melbourne. To see 20+ pinball machines lined up against the wall "in the wild" was an awesome sight - to be able to play-test them, clean them, change bulbs etc was a real thrill. This was when I saw my first NIB - Johnny Mnemonic. What a sight to see a machine removed from it's packaging for the first time! I was fortunate to see and play alot of different machines at the Bourke St, Swanston St, Doncaster, Box Hill and Knox centres, and I guess that is why DMD machines are my favourites now.

2. All time favorite pin? Why?

Twilight Zone - there is something about this game that really does it for me. I am a huge fan of widebody pins, due mostly to this machine. There is so much to do on this machine that I expect, given my poor pinball playing skills, that I will never actually complete all of the modes in a single game. But that is what keeps me coming back for more - trying to achieve the impossible! I love the soundtrack, the backglass, the layout, the toys. This machine has it all, and is the epitomy of pinball for me.

3. Favorite pinball manufacture?

Bally without a doubt. Three of my Top 5 all-time favourite machines were manufactured by Bally (TZ, TAF, CV) - I love the feel of the Bally machines, the themes and layouts are awesome, and my opinion is that they produced the best DMD pins.

4. Favorite game in your collection? Why?

Twilight Zone - it is the machine with the lot.

5. How long have you been collecting?

I bought my first machine in December 2007, so I am a newbie on the pinball scene.

6. First game and how did you find it?

Judge Dredd - it was advertised in the Trading Post so I called the owner and went and viewed it. I played one game on it and made an offer of $2200 right then and there, which the owner accepted. One week later I went and collected it in a friends ute, on the way home the tailgate fell down (a passing driver alerted us) so it could have been a disaster but fortunately we made it home without any further trouble!

7. Do you still have it?

Yes, it is a keeper.

8. What are you currently working on?

My wife - I am trying to convince her that another machine is worth the investment. I am failing. However, there was a mention of late next year, which would suit me fine. In terms of my machines, both are working as they should so I don't want to jinx anything by touching them!

9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?

The Addams Family - I spent alot of money on this machine back in 1992/3 and I would love to have it at home to relive the memories.

10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?

I bought my TZ from silverball for $3500, which I thought was a fantastic price. I never thought I would be able to own a TZ machine, but when I saw it at the factory and found out it was for sale, I had to have it. I had originally gone to look at a ST:TNG but the TZ caught my attention and I didn't give the ST:TNG another look.

11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!

My brother owned a Haunted House for a few years, it ended up at my parent's house and I played it alot. Fantastic machine, although my brother's machine had it's fair share of problems. If I knew then what I know now, I would have been able to fix those problems and the machine would have been a beauty. There was no wear on any of the playfields, the backglass was in near-perfect condition, and the cabinet was in good condition. My brother sold the machine for $2200 in 2005, and I still kick myself for not buying it from him. The buyer must have thought all of his Christmases had come at once!

12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought

No bad experiences for me, I love both of my machines and I doubt I will ever buy a machine that I will regret buying.

13. Describe your collection

I have 2 widebody pinball machines sitting side by side - Judge Dredd and Twilight Zone. I have made space for one more machine, which will hopefully be a TAF, although a CV or IJ would suffice.

14. Describe your gamesroom

It is more like a room in which my games are located than a gamesroom, it is the Dining Room which is a separate room located next to the kitchen. My wife calls it the "Junk Room" because it is where I put everything game-related so there is not much room to move in there.

15. Do you have other games other than pinball?

Yes, in addition to my 2 pinball machines I have 6 arcade machines (including an upright Driver and a Hankin cocktail) and a Pool Table.

16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years?

To be honest, I can't see Pinball Manufacturing surviving. The days of seeing pinballs in every amusement centre are long gone, and I don't think the Home market can sustain a business like Stern. The only way I can see Stern surviving is by producing Licensed pins which can be used to market new movies, TV shows etc. However, if the Licensees don't see results from the marketing, they won't purchase the pins and Stern will suffer as a result. If Stern disappear, the pinball community may also see the end of re-runs like LOTR, TSPP etc. For the Home market, the only pins left will be those in circulation now so the prices will increase as the demand outstrips the supply. Good for those who have machines but not so good for those looking for their first pin. Hopefully spare parts businesses will continue to thrive, as I think there will always be a need for parts to keep the machines running. I also think that the popularity of pinball machines for the Home market will see fewer machines being destroyed, more machines being brought back to life and therefore more parts being produced and sold. We, the pinball community, need to continue to support the businesses that breath life into pinball to see it into the next decade and hopefully beyond.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 03:44:46 PM by felixthadog »

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 03:55:10 PM »
Great read Matt-you worked at Timezone how cool/I must have seen you alot as I regually visted all those mentioned outlets. Twilight Zone now thats a machine I'd love also and of course you Hankin cocktail #@#

Peter

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 04:24:19 PM »
Great Read Matt working at timezone must have been awsome im very jelous   *%*

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 05:03:55 PM »
You always learn something new from the Sunday Pinball Questionnaire and this one was no exception.

Interesting stuff, Matt, and keep on working on the wife; I am sure you can fit another pinball in!

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 05:11:03 PM »
Really enjoyed reading that Matt,

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Especially enjoyed reading your answer to the first question "earliest pinball memory"

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 05:19:21 PM »
TZ isnt even in my top ten Matt, but your Sunday speel certainly is one of the best we have had.
 ()

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 10:51:58 PM »
Great read Matt and yes tell your wife that a pin is an investment.
I bet there's are few members out there that has bought a pin then sell it a few years later and still have made a profit!

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 08:35:38 AM »
Great read Matt.  ^^^ Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 09:02:19 AM »

Great job on such a short notice  ^^^

Very well done - one of my favorites - I like the reference to "Junk Room", as I get that all the time as well  %.%
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 10:20:15 AM »
Great stuff Matt  ^^^

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 10:28:49 AM »
Nice read Matt  ^^^

An IJ would look amazing to complete the trifecta of widebodies.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 07:23:07 PM »
good read matt.

the widebodies do look great. Twilight is definately a great game.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 07:30:19 PM »
Heads-up, Matt cut and pasted his questionaire to AA, and I cut and pasted my response.