Author Topic: Pinball Expo 2010  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Damien

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Pinball Expo 2010
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2010, 05:11:42 PM »

hello guys,,

you know that im in for a expo. it will be great..
sadly there is alot of work and time to invest in a undertaking like this..

we could try and piggy back off the amoa and vending show..

then we could have even more people thru

the only person i argue with a lot is markc .. damn specials will kill me...!!

i am only here for the pinball.!!

damien

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2010, 07:18:24 PM »
Lets face it, near impossible to get the main traders under the one roof. Too much shit has transgressed.

Some Pinball traders need to employ public relations employees, a staff member that can offer a fresh welcoming face/be the mouth-piece for the business. Such staffers could attend the expos, and make it possible for competing companies to be under the same roof, for the good of their business, and for the good of the hobby.

Sounds simple, because it is a simple solution.

That is the BEST suggestion I've heard regarding Expo.  *%*
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2010, 08:14:24 PM »
quote author=Damien link=topic=3517.msg60589#msg60589 date=1267765902]

hello guys,,

you know that im in for a expo. it will be great..
sadly there is alot of work and time to invest in a undertaking like this..

we could try and piggy back off the amoa and vending show..

then we could have even more people thru

the only person i argue with a lot is markc .. damn specials will kill me...!!

i am only here for the pinball.!!

damien

[/quote]

your lucky I didnt read this at work ..... only just home now and thought I pop on for   a quick while waiting for dinner

well as for specails   you can pick tomorrows then .....   

mark

Marty Machine

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2010, 12:34:18 AM »
Why not consider an independant (breakaway) Expo for Victoria? why does the existing Expo have to move state to state at all?
No doubt it will be locked into the Qld Museum forever huh?

There's plenty of local dealers (who all still speak with eachother), so a mass of pins could be assembled under 1 roof for a weekend of gameplay, swapmeet, BBQ/canteen facilities and NO AUCTION !!
Dealers can have stalls, sell parts, and the public can hire tables and sell off their bits.....

100+pins to play, and 100+ people flogging their wares would be something to see....

Make the event a place where the public would want to come to..... just my 2c.

MM.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2010, 01:39:34 AM »
I totally agree Marty. Just because a show was held once only in sydney by a few blokes doesnt mean it has to stay there or with them.

People who are in Melbourne in the pin industry, have a massive market in melbourne. It makes sense to sell in your own backyard. Why would a melbourne seller want to cart fifty boxes of parts, all his set up gear, as well as many pinball machines to another state. It dont make sense.
Thats why the Sydney guys who were local to Sydney, held it in sydney. They didnt take all their stuff to another state either.

The entry fee could be $25 or $35 all day long and people will pay, or even $55 for a family ticket. If the public was going in to see/play a hundred pinball machines and all the various sellers had really decent stalls, the expo would be a winner. Also, sellers like Mark could flog new Sterns til the cows come home, along with refurb pins n new parts etc, and the seller would make profit no problem. Any seller could attend. Maybe a good reason for all the melbourne guys to work together and look forward to the future. I reckon a Melbourne show with people like Mark and Bumper etc all involved, would be a terrific success.

If it is to happen, I reckon the largest pinball seller of machines and spare parts in Australia will have to get it going.  ^^^
I reckon there would be fifty blokes on this site who would put their hand up in a second to help make it happen somehow and be part of the behind the scenes labour force.  ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2010, 10:54:20 AM »
Id be happy to help where i could  ^^^

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2010, 11:08:45 AM »

ok guys  at this stage we have too much on to arrange this , a new PSPA announcement is about to come out .....
give us a few months and maybe if we can get some advise from the Sydney guys and hold it here in Vic say 6 months after the one there so we dont clash or something
lets see if all machine/parts people can have a chat a see what we can do . but for us it will have to wait
I am sure you guys will understand when you see whats been going on behind the senses ....   time will tell , we have all the papers ready to serve and will advise

2 new web sites will be up and running very soon   , one with close to 300 pins ( all with pictures)  over 100 plus different and a new parts site will start with 10,000 items  real soon ( maybe more if we can)

mark

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2010, 04:04:27 PM »
Why not consider an independant (breakaway) Expo for Victoria? why does the existing Expo have to move state to state at all?
No doubt it will be locked into the Qld Museum forever huh?

There's plenty of local dealers (who all still speak with eachother), so a mass of pins could be assembled under 1 roof for a weekend of gameplay, swapmeet, BBQ/canteen facilities and NO AUCTION !!
Dealers can have stalls, sell parts, and the public can hire tables and sell off their bits.....

100+pins to play, and 100+ people flogging their wares would be something to see....

Make the event a place where the public would want to come to..... just my 2c.

MM.

BRING IT ON!  #*#
Surely the Melbourne traders can get along for one day (not pointing any fingers at anyone, I know most do), they must be able to see the big picture, in geting advertisement for their industry, selling pins and parts at the expo, all coming down to making money.  It's not rocket science. 
In exchange for this we get to go to an event, meet up with like minded pinheads, and enjoy (and possibly buy) lots of pins and parts all in the one venue.
Win, Win  *%*

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2010, 04:10:39 PM »
hmmm it sounds like a melbourne versus sydney thread now ... I hope you guys mean that you will support sydney (we dont get much up here pinballwise) and hold a melbourne one on top?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2010, 04:12:58 PM »
hmmm it sounds like a melbourne versus sydney thread now ... I hope you guys mean that you will support sydney (we dont get much up here pinballwise) and hold a melbourne one on top?

I think it is just "talk" right now, Rob. I did suggest hosting THE Expo here (for one year), but I'm not sure it would happen.

Won't be a NSW VS VIC thing - That won't happen.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2010, 04:14:33 PM »

I think it is just "talk" right now, Rob. I did suggest hosting THE Expo here (for one year), but I'm not sure it would happen.

Won't be a NSW VS VIC thing - That won't happen.

Excellent! cause why not have both!  $#$

Marty Machine

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2010, 04:28:19 PM »

NO, i suggested a 'breakaway' ....
Meaning, why should any expo be tied to 1 state only?
and as i said, it will no doubt become locked into the pin-museum at some stage anyway, making it worse off for the rest of us....

To give EVERYONE a fair chance to see an expo (hey, we can't all travel interstate), i suggested each state continue to hold their own expo thru the year, with no clashes against other states...

All the expo's could fall under one name if need be, so they would all be titled "Australian Pinball Expo", but there might be 2-4 expo's per
year, 1-per-quarter kinda thing.....

For example,

"Australian Pinball Expo?"

Appearing at :

Qld - Jan xxth
NSW - Apr xxth.
VIC - Jul xxth
WAorSA - Oct xxth

The potential 4 expo's above would inevitably have different games+dealers on show, although interstate dealers are more than welcome to show their wares in any other state...

My suggestion wasn't to lock anyone out, it was to bring everyone IN.

another 2c.
MM.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2010, 05:52:30 PM »
It seems that there may be little understanding of what goes into organising all this, venue, insurance, marketing etc.. we are talking BIG $$ here.

4 Expos is UNSUSTAINABLE.

yet again, we get to before Expo and its the same old story.. divisions in the pinball community... us MELB guys - YOU Sydney guys etc etc etc.
 Bickering and talk of "counter"Expo cos we dont quite like the format of the existing one will kill this and anything else dead.
I travelled inter state last year with 2 crates off gear... wasnt too hard!  why not get behind what already exists rather than destroy it?

Its true - not many commercial sellers were present at last years Expo - why is that? Its because they chose not to go for one reason or another.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 11:13:19 PM by Retropin »

Marty Machine

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2010, 06:03:44 PM »
man.. didnt this topic turn to shit... AGAIN!
Seems your input alone has achieved that...

The rest of us were throwing out ideas and concepts in a civil manner....
Why couldn't your response be somewhat civil, and not so generalistic.

Many of us don't need to be thrown into the bucket of shit of which you think we belong....

forgive our input....
In future, before you go generalising that none of us "have no idea",  perhaps you should consult with the few of us that DO run large events, in fact events larger than pin expo's !! (myself being one of them).

We salute you...  !!@ !!@ !!@

MM.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2010, 06:15:40 PM »
there is so much work to do to have a expo .. its not just a 10 minute thing , it will take months and months andtrying to get some poeple together ....
i wouldnt want the job and are not asking for it.  I am sure others here have a much better idea on howe to do this

the guys that run the auction have the expo before it and thats fine  let them have it , its their money  as i said go to it enjoy it play pinball  stay or not stay for the auction , catch up with other members

maybe later  there can be one that moves around but until others put their hard earned cash up and take the risks   then and only then will other expos/auctions happen

I have been to the USA one twice and plan to go again this year  , the time and effort put into that ... so many stalls and so many free pins to play and listen to the great talks

one week isnt enough ...

good luck to guys that run it  ( and honestly  who cares  if its in melbourne or sydney   its not a state v state thing  )

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 06:17:22 PM by markc »