Author Topic: AIR CONDITIONER OPINIONS  (Read 256 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
AIR CONDITIONER OPINIONS
« on: December 24, 2009, 04:00:38 PM »
Well im toying with the idea of fitting an AirCon to the shed.   Its insulated and stays cool on the first couple of hot days but gets warm after a few days or when the machines are turned on.   

What would be best a split system or the old box type?   

Cost wise the Box type are way cheaper and i can fit it myself but would one be good enough????

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
Re: AIR CONDITIONER OPINIONS
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 04:07:47 PM »
Depends on insulation, size of the area, direction the sheds facing and so on...

Offline thefasteddy69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Southern Highlands
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 04:17:21 PM »
Sounds like a great idea . Have also built a small games room recently (only fit in 2 arcades and 3 pins) and insulated the crap out of it to keep the room cool. It works pretty well most of the time.

Have got an split system air con in the house and you are right in regards to the install, as I was going to do it myself. Then a friend of mine who is a sparky offered to do it instead when he heard of my grand plans (also my complete ignorance). Just as well as once we started I realised I had bit off more than I could handle.

He had done many split systems and even then it did take most of the day with plumbing etc. I think you would be looking around the $400-500 mark for the install. Also need a registered sparky to do it for the warranty, as they ask for the installers electrical licence number.

So the box type may be more affordable and could do it yourself. Would need to match the output in relation to the area to cool. The systems normally advise as to the cubic area they are effective up to. Good luck with whatever you choose. ^^^

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 04:28:25 PM »
My opinion, go the split system.  They are much quiter in operation.  Inexpensive to buy.  If you go inverter technology they save on juice as well..$$$

This leaves more amps to run your machines  ^^^
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock