Author Topic: Restore costs  (Read 546 times)

Offline superman79

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Restore costs
« on: January 01, 2010, 03:38:21 PM »
I've done a few searches on the site but haven't been able to find much info on what you'd expect to pay for a restore. I realise this is a bit like asking how longs a piece of string? But maybe there's an average hourly rate and/or time it usually takes?

What would you expect to pay for a strip down of a play field, replacement of generic components (rubbers, globes etc), and a general tidy up?

Thanks

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Restore costs
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 04:32:18 PM »
general tidy up?

Theres your piece of string right there

Offline superman79

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 04:42:10 PM »
general tidy up?

Theres your piece of string right there

yep was thinking that after I posted. Any recommendation for someone around Melbourne who can give a quote?

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 04:58:52 PM »
What would you expect to pay for a strip down of a play field, replacement of generic components (rubbers, globes etc), and a general tidy up?

Thanks

That sounds more like a shop-out.

Offline superman79

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 05:06:39 PM »
Excuse the ignorance but what's a shop-out?

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 05:21:41 PM »

A 'shop-out' definations can vary, but essentially it is a clean up, re-rubber, re-globe of a pinball machine and fix any non functioning parts.

Re costs of this - very hard to define.  It all depends on what you have to begin with.

For me, when I rebuild / resto a pinball it gets completely stripped as well, all playfield nut / bolts tumbled and hand polished, all new coil sleeves and coil diodes.  New flipper kits are a must.

If you have a look in the restoration sections, you can see some of the great work of members on this site - including Strangeways, JohnWartJr, DDSToys... and the level of attention to detail which gets done.

I recently completed a Funhouse - which was rough to begin with.  Well over 60 hours went into this game.  If there is nothing mechanically wrong with your game (Superman I'm guessing) rubbers, globes, flipper kit, coil sleeves, new balls, playfield polish would be a minimum.  I've never done a rebuild on an Atari so I don't know the availability of these parts.....

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 05:32:23 PM »
If super man uses the same parts as middle earth they are different from every other pinball ive seen they use Arcade style Micro switches with the flat metal arm instead of standard pinball contacts and everything is held together with space crimp terminals not soldered

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 05:49:24 PM »

If youre interested in getting a few machines, or even just looking after your own, a shop-out is not a difficult job to learn. You do not need to go to the lengths some guys do, and if no parts need replacing it can be a job completed on a lazy sunday, or a hour or 2 over a few nites. Cleaning is easy, changing bulbs is easy, replacing rubbers easy, removing plastics must be done carefully, but still easy.

Have a go, and ask questions when you need to. Its really satisfying to do your own, and will save you at least 200 bucks, maybe alot more.

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 05:58:20 PM »
If super man uses the same parts as middle earth they are different from every other pinball ive seen they use Arcade style Micro switches with the flat metal arm instead of standard pinball contacts and everything is held together with space crimp terminals not soldered

How readily available are parts for the old Atari games?.  Do you need to source from OS?.

Offline superman79

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 06:27:20 PM »
Appreciate everyones replies so far

Regarding part availability, I know that they're not readily available but I think they can be tracked down from multiple sources. I saw this kit on eBay from an OS seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SUPERMAN-Pinball-Overhaul-Rebuild-Refurbish-Kit_W0QQitemZ120481042495QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0d3ad03f#ht_730wt_941

I assume this would take care of the majority of parts needed for a 'shop-out'?

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 06:47:43 PM »
That's a pretty big question.

What you have to put into it really depends on what you start with.

A nice machine that just needs the playfield cleaned, new rubber, and some new bulbs won't be that expensive.

One that doesn't work at all, is missing parts, has wear, and needs rubber, bulbs, flipper rebuilds etc costs quite a bit more.

A restoration where lots of cosmetics are needed costs even more. The last time I was asked to quote a playfield swap, I quoted $1000 for labor (I'm in the US, so figures are in USD) plus parts at cost.

I used to get pins ready to shop for a local operator for $150 + parts. That was the electronic work, repairing any assemblies, etc. He and I didn't see eye to eye on what a 'shop job' entailed, so he had his guys shop them for him. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. That doesn't fit well for someone who is trying to make a living from his pins.

What you're asking for in particular could also vary - is it a simple machine with a single layer of parts? A machine with multiple playfields and lots of ramps?

Sorry to answer your question with questions :) But I would hate to mislead!

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 06:59:07 PM »
All the bits in that ebay kit are readily available locally, except maybe the manuals, but these are here;

http://www.pinrepair.com/atari/manuals/atari-superman-parts.pdf

http://www.pinrepair.com/atari/manuals/atari-superman.pdf

Read the manuals a few times, don't worry about the electronic details, but get a feel for the position of thing, rubber sizes and fuse locations and rating and the settings thatyou can play with.

It's really not that hard to strip and clean the playfield yourself - as others have said it's very satisfying. Don't get carried away by the level of detail that others go to here - to each his own and you can do more as confidence gand experience grows.

Buy a full set of rubbers, what's needed is listed in the parts manual, some new sleeves for the coils - they are a standard size and slip in with about two screws, a new ball and a bottle of Novus 2.  Get 100 globes - have a look at one, if they twist in and have a nipple and two pins - like a smaller version of what you use in most house globes then use type 47 globes, if they sort of push to plug in then they are type 555. If in doubt post a pic and someone will tell you what sort they are.

Check the fuse values installed - again listed in the manual, just see that the correct amp rating is installed.

Clean the playfield with nifti on a rag and then polish with some automotive body wax.

Ask questions here - there a plenty of people who kindly and generously answer questions.

Do a little bit at a time, take lots of photos from all angles, sketch things that are confusing. Find someone on this site with the same machine and ask them for a photo if you get a bit lost.

It really isn't that hard and is very satisfying and quite fun!

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 07:09:42 PM »
Almost all the electronic components on the boards are readily available.  I did an electronic repair on a Superman recently which invlolved repplacement of some 20 ICs on the CPU and power boards as it had high voltage put thru the 5v sections.  Took some time but as I said nothing more difficult then a Bally, Williams or Gottlieb.
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline superman79

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 11:06:51 AM »
What an amazing resource this forum is! I really appreciate all the advice.  ^^^

I think you've all given me enough motivation to give the shop-out a go myself. Re: johnwartjr questions - the machine is Atari Superman which has a relatively simple playfield, single layer of parts and single playfield. Re: ddstoys - You're spot on about the similarities to Middle Earth.

I've been able to find most parts on pinballspareparts apart from 15 amp fuses. Regarding the coil sleeves, are they standard for all coil types? I've noticed that there are different sizes but the parts manual doesn't refer to a size.

Parts I think I'll need include:
- Complete set of new rubbers
- 100x #47 globes
- 15, 7, 10, 1 amp fuses
- New ball
- Novus 2 cleaner
- Coil sleeves? Still not sure exactly what these are  !@#
- Red star posts - I haven't found any superman specific ones but I have found some from Williams 1-1/16". Anyone know if they are the same?

I still haven't been able to track down the Audio issue. I've checked all connections and they seem OK. Maybe when I replace the fuses I'll have some joy.

Cheers

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 11:08:51 AM »
Thats great that your going to have a go yourself you will be glad you did when you play your first game.      If you get stuck dont forget you can always ask for help  ^^^