Author Topic: NEW IDEAS FOR A NEW STERN PINBALL ???  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
NEW IDEAS FOR A NEW STERN PINBALL ???
« on: January 03, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
when i first saw the title (Big Buck Hunter) and understood that the stern release was abouting shooting bambi, i thought it was a missed opportunity from Stern.

if americans like shooting animals etc, it may do well over there, but unfortunately, i dont think it will do well here.

why ohhhh why, couldnt Stern come up with a better title or theme to make a new pinball around.

here are a few of my ideas. maybe some other forum members can add n come up with some of their ideas for a new Stern.

*My ideas for a new Stern"

A new monster bash style pin - new n revised from the original one. call it "Monster Party or Monster Madness".

A new version of Medievel Madness - again new n revised. call it "Medi-Evil Magic"

A new version of say a Twilight Zone - again new n revised. Call it "The Zone".

A new pin called "Area 51" - similar to attack from Mars. it would be a big seller.
And so on, and so on. We need Mark C to send the marketing department at Stern our ideas. They need them real bad i reckon.

It makes sense to reproduce something along the themes of some pinballs that were very very popular and sold well.If u do a slightly new n improved version of pinballs that did real well in the past, it makes sense it would sell today.

WHAT IDEAS DO U GUYS HAVE FOR A NEW STERN PINBALL.  !@#  !@#  !@#
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:24:56 PM by caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
Re: NEW IDEAS FOR A NEW STERN PINBALL ???
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 02:38:16 PM »
Lord of the rings was a popular machine...

So why not a Harry Potter machine???
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 02:42:27 PM »
There is a sense in which it doesn't matter what I think - I am not in a position to be a Stern customer.

I suspect that band-themed games would sell well. Some high profile remakes could work.

Classic themes such as card, pool, car and so on are always worth revisiting.

What about themes based on a country? Australia - notable landmarks such as Ayers Rock, Sydney Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge, etc could lend themselves well to a pinball theme.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 02:57:17 PM »
In one sense its good to see Stern move away from the licenced theme pin.... but i have to agree that they really missed an opportunity with BBH.

Shooting animals games lost popularity on late 50's.. so i guess Stern are going back to what was once a popular theme but they are WAAAAAY off track.

As for alternative titles...

Have to agree... MONSTERS sell well - i still love a monster theme - brings out the kid in all of us.

For a liceneced theme... then has to be HARRY POTTER or TRANSFORMERS - i reckon both these titles could bring pinball back to mainstream sales again if Pat Lawlor was involved

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 03:21:43 PM »

guys 

some great  ideas

Stern have spoken to so many people and some want so MUCH to use the license

Kiss   , Beatles  , Rolling stones and other music themed ones  I can tell they looked into  but for one reason or another the costs and fees  some of these people wanted wasn't worth it , well so Gary told us . ( damien and myself)

mind you if anyone want to mock up a drawing or try and do a theme   when Damien and I are back there I am sure we could pass it on , if you like us to.

hearing what some people want to make a pinball about themselves or a movie ...  its makes it hard for stern
but I am sure they will have some new and exciting pins coming out .

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »
i think STERN was right on the money big time with titles like

Batman Forever
Simpsons
Shrek
Lord of the Rings-both versions.
Spiderman etc

24 is a huge show in the states, as is CSI. but do they make great pinball sales, hard to say unless re really got to see the sales figures.but i dont think so.

I think, if Stern let Mark tell us what is coming up, alot more of us would save our pennies for a brand new Stern. But if ya only get told, a week or two before the release (which are usually Limited Editions) then by the time u get the money together, there are none left.
If Mark can put a finance package together (hint hint) with someone like HSBC or Certigy etc (both very very approachable finance companies), i bet Mark u would sell an extra 50 brand new Sterns, real quick. Anyone can pay off 7 or 8 grand over a 12 or 18/24 month period. But finding it upfront is dramatically harder for most.

IRONMAN should sell well. (although the movie was pretty ordinary)

I wonder, just how Stern really comes up with its new titles. Creating a new pinball does not have to be expensive. Stern can stay away from licenced pins with huge fees to other partys by sticking with monster bash type theme, or an Area 51 (attack from mars) style pins that dont need third parties with greedy pockets like movie stars or movie company fat cat execs who want their pockets full with commissions.
* I say, bring on the new Stern titles, but more info, much quicker, is better than less info later.

Long live Stern. Long live Pinball. The yanks have a very big loyal bunch of blokes on this forum who want nothing more than to see them do very well. And that includes Mark, who has done more for pinball in this country and collectors around the globe, than any other, in my opinion. ^^^  ^^^  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 05:15:23 PM »
Stern never feels, looks, or plays like a wms/bally. In my opinion the best machines will stay made in the past.

Offline madness

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »
Stern never feels, looks, or plays like a wms/bally. In my opinion the best machines will stay made in the past.

+1

What he says

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 05:48:44 PM »
BBH could do well in pubs over here. A lot of places have the video game which obviously works, so why not?.

Thats what Gottlieb were thinking with the SF2 pin.  Cash in on the crossover appeal.

Now we know SF2 isn't highly regarded in the pin world, but they shifted 5000+ of them.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 06:00:04 PM »

god Brett u been sitting in my office

we are trying to get something sorted like that ...

stern are not Wms  and never will be ,  i agree they dont play as well  BUT  they had been getting better
try putting a williams flipper kit in .....

most new sterns should be back under 7k now  with our dollar and more of us having them
i only see limited edt or big licenses going for more  but time will tell

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 06:24:54 PM »
As is pretty clear with the Stern titles, they are 100% aimed at the US market with such machines as Wheel Of Fortune, CSI, 24 and the like which are obviously big over there.  As I have mentioned in another thread or two, it would be great if Stern could manufacture machines that were universally liked and accepted.  

Without copying old machines but using them as a guide as to what will do well (we need to look forward not do remakes of old titles)

sci fi/space/alien theme
monster/horror themes, no reason they couldn't create their own monster at minimal cost
cartoons e.g Scooby Doo that would attract both young and old should not not dictate huge licensing fees.  
Probably not socially responsible but a machine revolved around alcohol would do well I reckon - home brew type thing/moonshine along the lines of the Dukes Of Hazard without being a Dukes of Hazard machine
boating/fishing
police/army chasing terrorists
cricket - 20/20 or backyard cricket. Not good for USA but would sell well elsewhere I reckon
Dinosaurs
Ghosts/castles

I think more movie titles flop than do good and licensing fees are restrictive e.g Transformers

There are heaps and heaps of possibilities.

I like the idea of an interest free type thing with someone like Certegy - great call Brett.  If this was a payment option I would be in a position to buy a new machine - I'm just about to finish payments on my shed which was very easy but as Brett mentioned $6-8k in one hit - just can't do I'm afraid.

P.S.  I don't know how far down the road they are with Ironman but hopefully the machine includes Hulk somewhere as was hinted at the end of the last Hulk movie - that would be cool!!!!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 06:27:40 PM by Pintoxicated »
Addicted to pins.

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 06:43:11 PM »
What about a RAMBO pin...they will make like 5 more rambo movies probably...and Sly has been on plenty of backglasses in the past,
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 06:51:16 PM »
What about a Rollerball pinball where you play the part of an everyday pinball buyer, and everytime you are about to buy a game one of those '24' style single popup targets jumps up and blocks you. Your ultimate aim is to just get ONE pinball machine but alas, you would never finish this game :lol
DW Drums rule !

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 06:58:44 PM »
A BRAND NEW STERN KISS PINBALL AND INTEREST FREE PAYMENTS-Man that would be awesome $#$ $#$ $#$ $#$ #*# #*# #*#

Peter

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 07:20:11 PM »
What about a RAMBO pin...they will make like 5 more rambo movies probably...and Sly has been on plenty of backglasses in the past,

Mrs Rambo.
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1922&picno=1844