Author Topic: Sunday Pinball Questionaire - 55 - RaptorLawyer  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Sunday Pinball Questionaire - 55 - RaptorLawyer
« on: January 09, 2010, 10:32:37 PM »

1. Earliest pinball memory?
2. All time favorite pin? Why?
3. Favorite pinball manufacture?
4. Favorite game in your collection? Why?
5. How long have you been collecting?
6. First game and how did you find it?
7. Do you still have it?
8. What are you currently working on?
9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?
10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?
11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!
12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought
13. Describe your collection
14. Describe your gamesroom
15. Do you have other games other than pinball?
16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years?

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline RaptorLawyer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • Sekured custom sneakers
Re: Sunday Pinball Questionaire - 55 - RaptorLawyer
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 04:03:43 PM »
1. Earliest pinball memory? Playing a Cosmic Princess and Freddy's Nightmare at my Uncles house. Ever since i was about 6 or 7 i was always making up reasons to visit him!! I also remember whenever there was a party at timezone or NRG that i was the only kid playing Pinball whilst everyone else was shooting things or cheating on redemption games. Naturally i broke it all up by also playing ALOT of daytona!!

2. All time favorite pin? Why? This is a tough one. Obviously everyone knows i have a thing for Jurassic Park. I think it plays great, sounds great, has plenty of different modes so is a fantastic game to have in a pinball collection that will never exceed one or two machines.

3. Favorite pinball manufacture? I try not to judge machines by their manufacturer as i feel preconceived feelings towards games often leave you with a biased opinion of them. That said, Data East and Williams would probably be the companies that produce many of the titles I enjoy most. Being a bunch younger than most folk here I guess it's because i've grown up with many of the movie themes they incorporate.

4. Favorite game in your collection? Why? Jurassic Park, love the theme, love the machine, my room is covered in JP memoribilia.

5. How long have you been collecting? I bought my first machine when i was 19, its been two years since then.

6. First game and how did you find it? First game was a Bally Party Zone. Was good to start on, nice and simple layout, fun game, easy to understand. A great first pin.

7. Do you still have it? Negative. Sold it to fund my next pin. Was frustratingly hard to find a few particular parts.

8. What are you currently working on? Working on getting more shifts so i can buy a second machine.  *%*

9. Most wanted game to add to your collection? I would really like to get a WH20 or RFM. Outside of pinball i would love to get a twin daytona - thats the dream! I would give my left nut for a daytona  #@#

10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection? I bought a 29" brand new candy cab for $255 whcih i thought was pretty good. Everytime i see something semi good value it appears someone from the forums snapped it up by either finding it in some local paper or calling at some ungodly hour! haha

11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away! Haven't had a miss as much as a crazyily frustrating experience. Put a deposit down for a container pin in in June and I still don't have the machine due to various dramas. I think i'm doing pretty well to be as patient as I am about it.

12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought. Haven't made too bad a mistake yet. *Fingers crossed!!*

13. Describe your collection. Small, it takes alot of dedication and nights as designated driver to purchase a machine when earning $250 a week and having to pay bills and such. I wish i had the income to buy more, but when i finish studying hopefully that time comes!

14. Describe your gamesroom: Still living at home I am not blessed with the privelage of a shed or cave but merely have my old childhool bedroom. Its about 4x3m so its really quite small and cant hold more than 3 or 4 machines. That said, the wall is covered in Jurassic Park gear and about 20 posters from the NBA in the 1990's. Love my basketball too!

15. Do you have other games other than pinball? I have a 1069 in 1 MAME machine, a soft drink/beer vending machine and a TROG jamma cabinet.

16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years? I don't feel that confidendtly that machines will still being produced. Personally I feel Stern is almost pissing on the grave of comercial pinball by producing unimaginative, cheap looking and boring pins (outside of spiderman) so i feel the market for new pins may soon be gone. That said, a hobby with such a helpful, generous and supportive community such as this - i'm sure we will find a way to keep it alive!!  ^^^

Hopefully you guys enjoyed that. Sadly i don't quite have the history of growing up with the EM's like many of you, but hopefully its a nice change of pace!
Kill each-other nicely please.

Offline indazone gav

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 04:50:06 PM »
Good read, thanks mate. Next Gen Pinhead right here @@*
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:21:21 PM by indazone gav »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 05:36:18 PM »
Good read, thamks mate. Next Gen Pinhead right here @@*

Agreed - Thanks for posting Steve - Great to hear you are starting out with a good selection of pins (soon) !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 03:20:55 PM »
Great stuff Steve  ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 03:29:15 PM »
Great Read Steve im the same as you never grew up with EMs pinballs were gone by the time i was old enough to play except the one or two that timezone would have working for 5 mins.    Once youve finished studying lookout i can see the collection growing fast  ^^^

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 03:44:25 PM »
WELL SAID  *%*

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 09:52:48 AM »
Well done, great to see a young bloke getting into pinball!

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 05:52:16 PM »
Top job!  ^^^
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 12:48:15 AM »
Good read Raptor.

The whole batch of JP movies are great. The pin is excellent as well. See if Mark needs a weekend worker since u are in melbourne. Playing and moving around 300 pins at marks place sounds like a great way to earn a dollar. I would do it for free if i was in Melbourne. lol

Good read, love your enthusiasm. Maybe one of our youngest members ? Great to see u have ditched the x-box for a pinball.  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline RaptorLawyer

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 02:42:50 AM »
Good read Raptor.

The whole batch of JP movies are great. The pin is excellent as well. See if Mark needs a weekend worker since u are in melbourne. Playing and moving around 300 pins at marks place sounds like a great way to earn a dollar. I would do it for free if i was in Melbourne. lol

Good read, love your enthusiasm. Maybe one of our youngest members ? Great to see u have ditched the x-box for a pinball.  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^

Hey thanks mate, would love to help out at the factory if that were a possibility, i'm sure there are many more names in line for such an experience too!

I do some console gaming too but i much prefer the social aspect that pinball/arcade brings. There are times where i like to play a time consuming single player game but those times fail to rival social gaming in number. Lets be honest, nothing beats a house full of people enjoying good food, good drinks and accessible gaming that is just as much fun for someone who is new to the hobby than someone who has been around it for years.

I don't consider myself young, merely that i have alot more knowledge to catch up on than some other members. I'll get there eventually!!  ^^^

Cheers,
Steve

Offline RaptorLawyer

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 02:56:04 AM »
I will add one thing though.

Sometimes it can be difficult being this age and trying to get involved in a hobby where you aren't quite within the 'norm' section of the bell curve in terms of demographic.

Some of the issues i have dealt with so far:

- Things like machine transport - not having a vehicle large enough to transport a machine then being charged nearly double the rate to hire a ute/truck because you are on P-plates.
- Dealers (not members of this site) that have ignored 7 or 8 voice mail inquiried/failures to call back to phonecalls in regards to machine availablity or parts.
- Going to meets/pinball events and having people think you are someones child! haha
- Going to view a machine that was up for private sale and being told I couldn't inspect under the playfield or run some tests cos 'you need to be a professional to look inside'
- Obvious things like limited funds and space due to study/work.

So while its amazing to be part of this community and you guys have been nothing but patient, helpful, welcoming and informative there are still difficulties for those looking to get into the hobby. The above reasons are also why the rate of pinball play to socializing is quite high at meets. I dont get to play as many machines as i'd like!!! haha

This may sound like a rant but i am greatful for every one of my experiences as they have all been lessons and spurred me on to learn more about the great history and future of this wonderful past time.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 09:48:34 AM »

- Going to meets/pinball events and having people think you are someones child! haha

Classic! Just how young do you look???

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 10:25:31 AM »
Yep its a nice surprise to see a young person so enthusiastic about the pinball/arcade hobby. Finish uni and buy at least 5 machines per year!
 %$%

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 05:36:15 PM »

- Going to view a machine that was up for private sale and being told I couldn't inspect under the playfield or run some tests cos 'you need to be a professional to look inside'

That is just Bizarre.  I'd be like, Meh, see ya!  <..>