Author Topic: Gottlieb Universe 1959  (Read 1234 times)

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Gottlieb Universe 1959
« on: December 11, 2008, 09:49:21 PM »
Well that guy Nino has been busting my balls about posting about my restorations for months  :lol So to get his off my back will be posting pix of my Gottlieb Universe from 1959 that is 95% complete for a full rebuild and restoration.

Just some background on this game - the game was built in September 1959, was designed by the legend Wayne Neyens and the artwork by the master Roy Parker. The game had a production run of 1,150 and was one of the first pinball machines to feature 'score reels'. This game is also a 'woodrail' which means it has timber rails instead of steel.

The game that I picked up about 6 years ago from a guy in Wagga. The game had been in storage since around 1970 and was in amazing original condition except for the backglass which was hammered.

Luckily the Shay Arcade group had made a reproduction glass and I was lucky enough to buy the last one they had.

Since then the following has been bought to make her shine again - N.O.S. instruction card, new flipper buttons, all 4 flippers assemblies have been fully rebuilt with all new parts, the 3 pop bumper caps, bodies and skirts, front credit button, all 4 flipper bats, all rollover guides, all rollover buttons, both new decals for stationary targets, new inner and outer plunger springs, new beehive plunger housing, all new sleeves on all coils, both cigarette holders (amazing - had 2 on either side rail) and of course the new repro Shay glass.

So the game was fully pulled down to the cabinet and fully rebuilt. Every moving part was fully pulled apart and cleaned then rebuilt, any part that showed signs of wear was binned and new was used. All the legs were completly stripped and resprayed. All new leg bolts and leg levels installed.

The playfield was fully stripped and cleaned then put back together - seriously this game looks almost new.

So will post pix as soon as she is fully complete - Gav - bet you can't wait!  ^^^

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Gottlieb Universe 1959
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 09:55:19 PM »
One of my favourite woodrails this - you're right, cant wait to see the finished product

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 10:00:58 PM »

I knew if I "squeezed" them enough you would post the resto !!! I might need to do a woodrail one day, so any tips will help !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline jyebow

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland, NSW
  • GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle,
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 10:53:14 PM »
Look forward to the resto Tony. ^^^

GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle, Data East Lethal Weapon 3

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 11:27:16 PM »
Well that guy Nino has been busting my balls about posting about my restorations for months  :lol
I look forward to this...not the ball busting, just the resto thread.  :lol

This is a dedicated pinball site...you are crazy about pinball - it makes sense doesn't it?  ^^^

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 11:39:38 AM »
Well that guy Nino has been busting my balls about posting about my restorations for months  :lol
I look forward to this...not the ball busting, just the resto thread.  :lol

This is a dedicated pinball site...you are crazy about pinball - it makes sense doesn't it?  ^^^

Hey Tony,

I'm just a little slow  :D

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 11:50:08 AM »
Hey Tony,

I'm just a little slow  :D

Not at all. Glad that you're here and posting  #*#