Author Topic: Anyone smashed a backglass while playing a pin?  (Read 1020 times)

Offline braddo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Anyone smashed a backglass while playing a pin?
« on: January 13, 2010, 08:00:44 PM »
Weird question???

A guy was playing my pins last night, and he wasn't too bad a player which was great cause most people who play my pins are green-as. Anyway, he knocked the machines around a bit, my tilts aren't connected, but he was right on edge at times i reckon of tilting if they were connected. My backglasses are not held in at the top by the locking mechanism, and are a bit loose in that area they move a bit.

So my question, should i worry about the back glass breaking if this guy or more people like him play this way? (I actually applauded his aggressiveness at first when he was playing GORGAR, something I now am not sure I should have done). Should i be worrying about this??

WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Anyone smashed a backglass while playing a pin?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 08:03:23 PM »
Backglasses are very strong if it has the plastic channel arount it it should be fine.   My Jungle princess was dropped off the back of a ute and smashed the backbox on a 45 degree angle without breaking the backglass somehow  !@#

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 08:06:20 PM »
I would have thought you would need to be very rough to do that.

You have a better sense of humor than I have with this rough handling.

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 10:15:31 PM »
Spurr shakes the shit out of pins.
 *%*

They are meant to take it though, dont fret it.

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 10:26:51 PM »
Yeah they are pretty tough Brad . I wouldn't think that you'd be able to break one from nudging whilst playing .

If your glass has a bit of movement in the headbox you can actually install some self-adhesive foam around the frame that the backglass sits against . You only need to use fairly thin stuff though . This will stop your glass "rattling" and will absorb some of the shocks .

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 10:33:38 PM »
I will have to nicely disgaree, and be a bit different to u other guys on this. If u have to pay 400 bux to get a new backglass, or IF u cant find a replacement backglass for the machine, TAKE IT EASY, I SAY.

It aint a game of strength, its a game of skill. I reckon lock the backglass in anyway.and make sure the head is tied down properly with a head bolt, plus the standard back-catch. After all, these things are very collectible and not cheap to fix if it falls down and something dies/smashs in the process.  ^^^

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:44:34 PM by caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
i would connect the tilt mech so they know not to go over board with the shaking, and i would lock them in place if you can
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 04:43:19 PM »
OK no stories of broken glass which is good ^^^. Still, i think it uneccasary to 'smash' any machine to extremes while it's being played.

One thing i that comes to my mind now i've had a think about it, would a machine be treated badly by a person if THEY payed for it and owned it.

I think some people who play my machines are thinking back to their teens when they were hanging out in the arcade with no care for any property, and they are still playing in the same frame of mind without realizing people REPAIR and SERVICE the things. Would they even know what a 'backglass' is, and what it's worth (a fair bit in the case of GORGAR). I'm thinking about putting up some signs with 'rules' in my gamesroom, don't want to it's a wank but late nights+old machines+alcohol+green pinball players = something will break i reckon.

RULE 1 - YOU break it YOU pay for it (AP members excluded). %.%

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 05:07:27 PM »
Thats fair enough Braddo all my friends always play gently and anytime anything is broken its paid for im sure if you were at there place smashing around there plasma tv they would have something to say.

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 08:00:16 PM »
Not playing it, but broke a KLONDIKE backglass into lots of little piecies when i dropped a machine once.  And broke a playfield glass by simply droping an EPROM on it the eprom hit it and it just went BANG...
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 08:43:47 PM »
Not playing it, but broke a KLONDIKE backglass into lots of little piecies when i dropped a machine once.  And broke a playfield glass by simply droping an EPROM on it the eprom hit it and it just went BANG...

Shit that's a bummer mate.

I made up some 'you smash it, you pay for it' signs tonight for the pin room. My brothers band is playing tomorrow night and the last time they played the guitarist was telling everyone in the pub that after the show he is going to drink some beer and play MY pins ^.^ . Of course everyone in the bar wanted to do that as well didn't they ^.^ . My brother put a quick stop to that on that night (well, girls are welcome), but next time you never know who can turn up so the rules are on the wall. %%$ %%$ %%$
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:46:10 PM by braddo »

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 08:50:38 PM »
I know how this feels Braddo,  ^.^

I had a good mate over to play some games, and he was pushing the pin all over the place, was feeling nervous watching it, I did not have the tilt set up then, but I do now.....
He saw nothing wrong in how he was playing, and I guess when I was a kid down at the arcade you would tilt them as far as you could get away with.
He has been back for a game since I set the tilt up, had a few whinges when he locked it up, but I am a lot more relaxed when we play now.

Cheers
Dave

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 09:04:03 PM »
That's great DD, enable the tilt so it's kind of like a 'child lock' ^^^

I'm thinking that now after the 'RULE ON THE WALL' has been read, things are going to ease up a little. ^^^

Ive also put the words 'RARE' and 'EXPENSIVE' highlighted in red on the notice, it might even scare people out of playing them. !@# %$%

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 09:20:59 PM »
The TILT mech was added to stop idiots shaking the crap out of machines - also stopped cheats. Remember, these were once peoples bread and butter and were there to make money.. if a machine got wrecked cos Popeye with attitude insists on bashing the crap out of it, then it aint gonna earn jack S.

put the tilt back on.. better still slam the dumb idiots head down hard on the playfield glass and ask how he likes it

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 10:39:08 PM »
I know how this feels Braddo,  ^.^

I had a good mate over to play some games, and he was pushing the pin all over the place, was feeling nervous watching it, I did not have the tilt set up then, but I do now.....
He saw nothing wrong in how he was playing, and I guess when I was a kid down at the arcade you would tilt them as far as you could get away with.
He has been back for a game since I set the tilt up, had a few whinges when he locked it up, but I am a lot more relaxed when we play now.

Cheers
Dave

I've got a couple of mates like that.. They used to shake the crap outta my games and i will NOT tolerate that!! Now i have the tilt set a bit more sensitive to compensate a bit. Now I know they can take a bit of abuse... I dont mind a bit of gentle persuasion when they are being played, but if anyone gets too heavy handed i put a stop to it, especially when i've put heaps of $$ into them, doing them up.  i had one mate who decided to start kicking the legs as he played, (painted legs btw), i kicked HIM in the legs and said "how do YOU like it?"  :lol :lol

I've never heard of a backglass being broken while the game was being played. I've broken a couple .. one a Super Star (Wms) but was stuffed anyway, (i had the shits about something and threw something at it) !@) the other was a MINT 6million$man glass i bought for $20, (about 15 years ago), had it leaning against the wall next to a game and i lifted the pf, the ball fell out of the outhole/pf and hit the edge of the 6m$m glass, shattering it  !!! !!!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 10:45:22 PM by Mr Pinbologist »