Author Topic: Is it just me or are pinballs in higher demand with prices rising?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Mr Tilt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
My overall feeling is that pins are getting more interest and bigger money is being paid for high end popular games?

Spoke to a pinball tech who sold a TZ for $7500 good condition, he reckons mine is mint compared to what he sold
Another company I spoke to today in Melb Nth suburbs sold a MB for 8K and a Totan for 5.5k

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
If the pin is in good nick and it is a highly sort after title then yes the prices are getting higher.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Depends who is the buyer. I know a ton of people over the years that paid too much for a title. Simply didn't do their homework. If they wanted the game NOW and money is no object, then the seller is in a position to set the price. Most salesmen work in this manner.

The market is increasing for high quality machines - not confined to "A" list titles. SS and EMs are starting to creep up again. Poor conditioned machines are dropping in price.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane

Depends who is the buyer. I know a ton of people over the years that paid too much for a title. Simply didn't do their homework. If they wanted the game NOW and money is no object, then the seller is in a position to set the price. Most salesmen work in this manner.

The market is increasing for high quality machines - not confined to "A" list titles. SS and EMs are starting to creep up again. Poor conditioned machines are dropping in price.
IMO the strong aussie dollar has given the opportunity for many of us to import some really nice high end pins , due to the economic climate in the state there's been some really awesome pin that have been force for sale .  It seems like the sort after pins are creeping up in price depending on the quality of cause .
I would of never believed that I would pick up a HUO T2 with less then 950 games on it ,looks pretty close to new .
But I did pay the price of it (because I had to have it )  #(& #(& .

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
I reckon there seems to be an increase in interest in the hobby with new guys getting into it.  There are continually new members to the forums and guys posting about the purchase of their first machine/s.  Without the Australian forums, there is every chance I would have sold the machine I started with and got out of the hobby because I would not have been able to afford to repairs and servcing all the time whereas the amount I have learnt from the you guys on the forums has meant that I keep collecting.

As for prices, some prices have been low on eBay from what I have seen and then other machines go for silly money.  Doesn't seem to be any set pattern.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
The biggest movement in pricing is with early SS machines, and some later EMs. Guys of that era have the kids leaving home (or self supporting), have more cash, some are even eyeing-off retirement. But more importantly these guys are trying to claw back some youth (hit 40 and it happens), and yearn for the carefree days of playing pins as a young guy.

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:

SS and EMs are starting to creep up again.
I agree, this is where money will be made.

Offline Little shop of games

• Forum Posts:
The only pins I see increasing in price, are new Sterns, and this is do to the drop in production.  If Stern could sell 5000 of one title the price would go way down, but the vendor is not buying pins for there route anymore, so the homeowner is there main customer.  I have sold a few pins to Australian customers, and with shipping it was still less expensive then buying in Australia.  

Curly

Edited by Admin.
Reason: As per the rules, only sponsors are allowed to display their business contact details on AP.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:31:05 PM by Admin »

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
The only pins I see increasing in price, are new Sterns, and this is do to the drop in production.  If Stern could sell 5000 of one title the price would go way down, but the vendor is not buying pins for there route anymore, so the homeowner is there main customer.  I have sold a few pins to Australian customers, and with shipping it was still less expensive then buying in Australia. 

Curly

Little Shop Of Games
Pinball Sales,
Parts, and Service
3635 Eagles Nest Rd
Fruitland Park FL 34731
561-248-9628
www.littleshopofgames.com
The only sterns I can see increasing in price are possibly elvis and playboy. This will be when stern go out of production and will be 10 years after that. I have seen several titles sell under 4k, (these are still late model pins). Cannot see many topping the average $7000 purchase price, thats just my opinion.

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Boy I hope so ( I have some new plans )  #@#
DW Drums rule !

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
  I have sold a few pins to Australian customers, and with shipping it was still less expensive then buying in Australia. 

Heh, not surprising when you see some of the retarded dealer pricing on Aussie eBay at the moment.

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
The only pins I see increasing in price, are new Sterns, and this is do to the drop in production.  If Stern could sell 5000 of one title the price would go way down, but the vendor is not buying pins for there route anymore, so the homeowner is there main customer.  I have sold a few pins to Australian customers, and with shipping it was still less expensive then buying in Australia. 

Curly

Little Shop Of Games
Pinball Sales,
Parts, and Service
3635 Eagles Nest Rd
Fruitland Park FL 34731
561-248-9628
www.littleshopofgames.com

Hi Curly ,might be abit late but it's nice to see you posting .I didn't know you were a member .

Cheers Tony

Offline Little shop of games

• Forum Posts:
Thanks Tony

I read here alot, but never really post much.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:38:54 PM by Little shop of games »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
I reckon there seems to be an increase in interest in the hobby with new guys getting into it.  There are continually new members to the forums and guys posting about the purchase of their first machine/s.  Without the Australian forums, there is every chance I would have sold the machine I started with and got out of the hobby because I would not have been able to afford to repairs and servcing all the time whereas the amount I have learnt from the you guys on the forums has meant that I keep collecting.

As for prices, some prices have been low on eBay from what I have seen and then other machines go for silly money.  Doesn't seem to be any set pattern.

All good points. Not enough credit is given to Clay Harrell who wrote the Marvin guides which are considered the "bible" and the accepted standard reference material for pin repair and restoration. Forums are an extension of that initial interest with RGP. I kinda laugh these days when people say things like "Pinballs are too expensive to repair and parts are impossible to find". The classic is "Pinball techs are too hard to find". How many Newbies have become "overnight techs" ? Plenty !

The biggest movement in pricing is with early SS machines, and some later EMs. Guys of that era have the kids leaving home (or self supporting), have more cash, some are even eyeing-off retirement. But more importantly these guys are trying to claw back some youth (hit 40 and it happens), and yearn for the carefree days of playing pins as a young guy.

Collectors and home users continually ask for "quality" EMs and SS more than DMD. It is only because DMDs are easily accessible that they sell so well. Proof of the pudding are the 5-6 requests a week for EM / SS machines. KISS, Fathom, Paragon, Eight Ball, Star Trek, Black Knight, Haunted House, Black Hole.. List goes on. Having said that - People now want TOP Condition machines more than ever.

SS and EMs are starting to creep up again.
I agree, this is where money will be made.

Like Wotto said "Boy have I got plans" !

%.%
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Oh dear, I may have to figure out how I can secure that machine I have my name on then before inflation strikes....or am I too late.   &^&

Good point about Clay's guides.  The guy that came to repair my first machine had a full print out of the 'Pinball Bible'. 

I think there was a time when techs kept info to themselves whereas now with the internet and forums, most are happy to share tips and tricks and impart their knowledge onto anyone interested.  This is going to be the saviour of the hobby in many ways I think.  There are still regular comments about the quality of our forum/s and the willingness to help each other out.

You have created your own monster as well Nino with guys asking for quality machines.  Your name stuck in my head many moons ago when I saw the quality of your work on Jacks Open.  Now guys can see what can be achieved and want nice machines which in turn means there is a demand for parts and so the cycle continues.......it's all good.
Addicted to pins.