Author Topic: Cleaning Circuit Boards  (Read 601 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
Cleaning Circuit Boards
« on: December 14, 2008, 02:35:28 PM »
I noticed that a few of you don't seem to clean your old circuit boards.  It's something that is very easy to do and can prolong the life of the board.  You can use a dishwashing detergent or a degreaser. I like white lightning.  DO NOT use chlorine based cleaners as they can corrode metal.  I spray the board down really well with the degreaser.  Then I use Nick's toothbrush to gently scrub the board (don't tell him.)  I then rinse the board with extremely hot tap water.  The hotter the better.  Once that's done I inspect the board for any spots that might still be dirty and repeat the process.  Once the board looks new I take it out to my air compressor and blow it off until is see no more water streaming.  Make sure to spray really well under chips and in any sockets.  Once that's done I'll let the board sit in a warm, dry area for about 24 hours and then re-install it.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Cleaning Circuit Boards
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 03:01:07 PM »

Great Tip Chuck..

I don't go as far as using detergents - I mainly use Isoprophyl alcohol or Metho. I might try your method.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 06:59:21 PM »
Then I use Nick's toothbrush to gently scrub the board (don't tell him.) 

I can't believe there's another Nick in your life.

I feel betrayed Chuck.  !!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 09:09:24 PM »
Thanks for the tip Chuck. I used to use contact cleaner on industrial machiney PCB's, wiring terminals etc. Would this be a better option as it dries super quick or am I missing the point about this tip (the cost factor)?

BTW just bought a SWEP1 and have taken more of a major interest in your project now for obvious reasons
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 06:18:36 AM »
Contact cleaner works well.  It's about 8 bucks a can anywhere I find it.  So it's definitely a cost savings.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 04:03:17 PM »
So you clean the boards with chips installed?   With detergent and water. Scares me but ill give it a go electronics and water always make me feel a bit funny.