Author Topic: Flipper problem  (Read 2176 times)

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Flipper problem
« on: December 14, 2008, 04:37:41 PM »
1989 Bally Mousin' Around - right flipper coil is overheating and flipper stays up (or is that the other way around). Where do I start?

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Flipper problem
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 05:40:18 PM »
1989 Bally Mousin' Around - right flipper coil is overheating and flipper stays up (or is that the other way around). Where do I start?

I would check to ensure your coil is correct type for machine and EOS switch is not dirty / broken

Edit -

Futher does the flipper itself move freely?  Ie just by hand.  Make sure it isn't binding on the bush as well....

I would also check diodes on the coil on question too....

If you have a DMM - it is possible that a winding has broken on the coil too....
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 05:43:54 PM by MartyJ »

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 06:58:02 PM »
Definitely not moving freely like LHS so will see if I can take it apart. My searching on the internet has yet to find a manual/schematic, just a handbook with switch matrix and lamp matrix.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 07:27:38 PM »
Definitely not moving freely like LHS so will see if I can take it apart. My searching on the internet has yet to find a manual/schematic, just a handbook with switch matrix and lamp matrix.

I had a look too.  The manual on IPD is fairly limited in what it supplies.

I'm certainly no expert with flippers, but I've just recently put a kit through my Sys 11b (Police Force) and a Data East as well.  If (when power off) the flipper being moved manually is not free / binding then this is definately one problem.

Was the machine previously working fine or is this a new purchase?

I would start by removing the coil stop (two hex-nuts) holding it in and have a look at the coil sleeve.  Also, I would check to make sure the actual flipper bat is not hitting playfield and there should be some movement (up and down) as well.

With the coil out, does the bat / arm move freely?  If so, I would re-assemble making sure the coil is sitting square and flush against both coil stops.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 07:54:08 PM »
The pin is new to me, but there were previously problems with the RHS flipper, which was thought to be an EOS problem, and was subsequently fixed. But I am not surprised to find further issues with it. I am in the middle of taking it apart to see what is going on - dinner intervened.

Marty Machine

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 08:38:20 PM »
Also check the flipper switch on side of cabinet, is it stuck in the closed position? holding the flipper on.

Note that the plastic insert tube in the coil can melt and bind on the flipper shaft.
After replacing the insert and getting it going, there's probably still a reason WHY it failed in the first place, hence looking at the flipper switch, otherwsie a driver transistor issue?

MM.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 08:42:48 PM »
The pin is new to me, but there were previously problems with the RHS flipper, which was thought to be an EOS problem, and was subsequently fixed. But I am not surprised to find further issues with it. I am in the middle of taking it apart to see what is going on - dinner intervened.

You can eat and work on a pinny at the same time.  Thats what stable tables are for!!

As MM suggested if the coil sleeve is stuffed, let me know I've got about 4 spare downstairs and I'll mail you one, but I would definately recommend if she's a keeper, you're better off putting a whole new kit through her and if testing the coils (ohms) are no good then do the lot!  Its not cheap, but not expensive either and they are the most important part of your game.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 09:12:50 PM »

Yep - Marty's on the ball here... It has to move freely.. Could be a number of reasons ;

Clogged up mechanism from lubrication
Warped coil sleeve
Burnt coil (Very doubtful)
EOS needs cleaning or re gap
Stuck flipper switch...

Where did this rare and interesting title come from  !@#  @@^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 09:14:09 PM »

Yep - Marty's on the ball here... It has to move freely.. Could be a number of reasons ;

Warped coil sleeve
Stuck flipper switch...

Hmm, I know of someone who has one (or did?)

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 10:23:37 PM »

Warped coil sleeve
Stuck flipper switch...

Actually, I think you know where it came from!!

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 11:42:07 PM »
OK, the plastic on the inside of the coil has melted, meaning the shaft no longer moves freely in the coil.

The coil was not original, as far as I can tell, whereas the LHS one does look original (it has FL-11630 stamped on it which rings a bell).

A couple of possibilities:-
EOS was not gapped correctly to begin with (this flipper was blowing fuses) and the damage to the coil had occurred this way, before EOS was fixed;
Coil was not a correct replacement (eg lower rating) causing damage.

Either way it looks like I am up for a new coil, which I hope fixes the flipper as I am keen to play this thing and learn how to score some points on it!

Might make a trip somewhere tomorrow in my 'lunch' break...

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 12:21:49 AM »
OK, the plastic on the inside of the coil has melted, meaning the shaft no longer moves freely in the coil.

The coil was not original, as far as I can tell, whereas the LHS one does look original (it has FL-11630 stamped on it which rings a bell).

A couple of possibilities:-
EOS was not gapped correctly to begin with (this flipper was blowing fuses) and the damage to the coil had occurred this way, before EOS was fixed;
Coil was not a correct replacement (eg lower rating) causing damage.

Either way it looks like I am up for a new coil, which I hope fixes the flipper as I am keen to play this thing and learn how to score some points on it!

Might make a trip somewhere tomorrow in my 'lunch' break...

Coil might still be good - try to remove the sleeve. If you can install a new coil sleeve - the coil might be ok.. If you cannot move the coil sleeve, then discard the coil. Might be worth checking the coil with a multimeter - a diode is cheaper !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 12:23:54 AM »
No need to speculate where the pin came from. The flipper was blowing fuses as the EOS wasnt adjusted properly and the high voltage when flipper button held in, was blowing the fuse. At least five test games were played once ajusted without fail and the strength of the flipper was adequate to make all ramp shots.
The coil, although not original tested fine,the coil sleeve is another issue that should be replaced. Pop by and let me know the parts you require.
Please mention that you played and tested both pins before picking up and that the mousin around was a last minute decision that I was rushed to get ready so that you could have for saturday.
You know you can always call me for assistance, forums are a great place to get advice, I hate when people always revert to........where did you get it from? as if something dodgy has taken place.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 12:44:28 AM »
No need to speculate where the pin came from. The flipper was blowing fuses as the EOS wasnt adjusted properly and the high voltage when flipper button held in, was blowing the fuse. At least five test games were played once ajusted without fail and the strength of the flipper was adequate to make all ramp shots.
The coil, although not original tested fine,the coil sleeve is another issue that should be replaced. Pop by and let me know the parts you require.
Please mention that you played and tested both pins before picking up and that the mousin around was a last minute decision that I was rushed to get ready so that you could have for saturday.
You know you can always call me for assistance, forums are a great place to get advice, I hate when people always revert to........where did you get it from? as if something dodgy has taken place.

I am happy with both pins and yes they both were working prior to pickup. I was expecting some minor maintenance issues to crop up after moving them - and I am trying to learn things myself so I didn't want to hassle you.

With the coil sleeve, the only thing I am worried about is that I couldn't find 2.5A slow blow so am using 3A slow blow - and that this resulted in overheating the coil and hence damaging the coil sleeve. With the move, the EOS adjustment may well have been knocked about which could explain the whole situation. I didn't check it thoroughly before replacing the fuse. (My bad - I didn't consider this.)

I think Nino was just interested to know where I got my hands on a Mousin' Around - and I believe he saw it on the floor hence my response.

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 01:00:36 AM »

I am happy with both pins and yes they both were working prior to pickup. I was expecting some minor maintenance issues to crop up after moving them - and I am trying to learn things myself so I didn't want to hassle you.

With the coil sleeve, the only thing I am worried about is that I couldn't find 2.5A slow blow so am using 3A slow blow - and that this resulted in overheating the coil and hence damaging the coil sleeve. With the move, the EOS adjustment may well have been knocked about which could explain the whole situation. I didn't check it thoroughly before replacing the fuse. (My bad - I didn't consider this.)

I think Nino was just interested to know where I got my hands on a Mousin' Around - and I believe he saw it on the floor hence my response.
Its all cool, nino has seen the mousin around,its a pin you dont see everyday.Was seriously considering keeping it for myself. If you need a coil sleeve etc.. let me know, will help however we can.