Author Topic: GLASS COAT - THE RESULTS  (Read 577 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
GLASS COAT - THE RESULTS
« on: December 15, 2008, 01:00:55 AM »
 Ok, so i FINALLY got round to doing it.

Bought  a sample of GLASS COAT from Bunnings and gave it a test run this evening. Theres no real need to wait for any results - i can give them now even before it has set.

Mix is quite viscous and as such wont go through an airbrush. I bought a tin of the thinner that comes with it - its not cheap and once opened its blatently obvious that its ACETONE.

Now against my better judgement i still airbrushed this stuff, turning the air acrid with acetone fumes. This product IS odourless which is a real benefit for anyone with chest issues, but once thinned, this benefit goes right out the window.
Product is meant to be poured onto a surface and then levelled off, which is of no benefit for CCing a PF. I guess it could be brushed on, but you really want your CC to be as flat a finish as possible.

I tested the product over acrylic, standard enamel and Pantone soft enamels. NONE of these had a reaction with the product despite the acetone which really did surprise me.

I gave it an ultimate test by spraying it over aluminium composite sheeting which is acrylic sheet sandwiched between 2 thin sheets of aluminium that has a colourbond type finish. Most tapes etc hate sticking to this stuff, so my theory was, that if it stuck to this, it would stick to anything.

Finish is VERY disappointing. The Glass Coat has failed to cover sheeting appropriately, and in places "pulled"away like water on plastic. In fact all 3 paints gave a better finish than this product, and even on the paint the Glass Coat has not finished flat.

So, for CCing this is not a good choice.

For filling in those sunken PF inserts???

Will let you know tomorrow, i have a 3mm or so dent that ive filled with this stuff. If it dries nice and flat, then this MAY be a readily availbale answer to fill in those dips on the PF.

Ill post some pics tomorrow

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: GLASS COAT - THE RESULTS
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 10:01:13 AM »

Thanks for the results.. Strike a line through that as a CC solution..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

stuba

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 09:33:33 PM »
cheers gav and thanks for looking at that. keen to see how that potential insert thing comes up.  #*#

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 10:07:31 PM »
cheers gav and thanks for looking at that. keen to see how that potential insert thing comes up.  #*#

Didnt look too good last night mate..... but i have something else for you

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 12:18:12 AM »
Thanks for the insight into this product Gav, much appreciated.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Ric

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 03:46:37 PM »
a really great thread

I am always looking at Bunnings for some sort of water based clear

The amonut of confused looks from staff  I have gotten when asking if a clear is oil or water based is countless

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 12:13:27 AM »
Ive been using clear nail polish so far works well with small to large dints : flipper grooves around rebound rubbers ect.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 12:21:24 AM »
Im going to be using 2 part epoxy for filling in sunken inserts - the stuff they put scorpions in etc and then sell.

Its self levelling, can be polished etc.

The test on filling with the glass coat was VERY disappointing - basically, this stuff is crap for what i want it for. it does dry hard though and would be good for protecting drop targets if painted on as i found no reaction at all to 3 different paint types - acrylic, enamel and soft enamel.

The insert i filled created its own air bubbles - they werent there when i applied it but appeared as the glass coat cured.