Author Topic: NOT HAPPY NOT HAPPY AT ALL.........  (Read 338 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
NOT HAPPY NOT HAPPY AT ALL.........
« on: March 09, 2010, 08:08:31 PM »
Had my brothers Time warp completely working except for the sound and he needed 1 new display glass.   So i grab out  one of my spares to try save him some cash and plug it in.....

SMOKE

Now i have no displays ive tried a different master display checked the fuse with no Joy GRRRRRRRRRR

Looks like the power supply needs some work...

Try an do him a favour and just and it turns around and bites me

Offline d3vlin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • geelong
Re: NOT HAPPY NOT HAPPY AT ALL.........
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 08:51:13 PM »
 !*! ^&^ &^& u will work it out it will be some thing little.

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 10:36:02 PM »
Ahhh, brotherly love - glad I'm an only child....  :lol :lol :lol
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 11:26:37 PM »

Check the voltages on the power supply - Top Left hand corner - +100V and -100V. Does it blow the fuse immediately after switching on with the connector removed ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 01:53:18 PM »
I don't get it?  If all you did was add one standard player score display - the way I'm reading it is that's what you did - then it can't be a power supply issue.  Any power supply issue would have caused problems with all displays.  Or are you saying the added display stuffed the power supply? 

I have some WMS displays that don't have the keep alive voltage fed to them. They came as a bonus in a machine and the harnesses and wirring all look to be complete but the single keep alive wire is not fed to them in the usual way - it's just not there. I've always wondered but have not yet fired them up.

The display fuse is 250mA slow blow and I think the smart mod on the power supply is to drop the zener down to a 91 Volt to prolong display life.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 03:21:48 PM »
I havnt checked any voltages Yet id say its has caused a power supply issue.

The new display cooked the larg resistor on the master display and blew the fuse.    I replaced the resistor and the fuse but still no joy.     

Im not touching it tonight im having a big clean up around the house so i might take a look on the weekend

Offline d3vlin

• Forum Posts:
  • geelong
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 09:41:45 PM »
there the shed is clean. now back to work ha ha ha. joke. ill let u have a break from it. play with ya bingo machine for 5 min then u will be happy to play with mine again lol

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 08:38:19 AM »
Had my brothers Time warp completely working except for the sound and he needed 1 new display glass.   So i grab out  one of my spares to try save him some cash and plug it in.....

SMOKE

Now i have no displays ive tried a different master display checked the fuse with no Joy GRRRRRRRRRR

Daniel,   sorry to hear that, all the display glasses were tested and good?  only the fault on the master display that I showed you and that wasnt the glass as I had replaced it to see if that would clear the fault?

Hope its an easy fix, maybe a cooked resitor on the HV power supply side..

Dean
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 08:56:50 AM »
I don't get it?  If all you did was add one standard player score display - the way I'm reading it is that's what you did - then it can't be a power supply issue.  Any power supply issue would have caused problems with all displays.  Or are you saying the added display stuffed the power supply? 

I have some WMS displays that don't have the keep alive voltage fed to them. They came as a bonus in a machine and the harnesses and wirring all look to be complete but the single keep alive wire is not fed to them in the usual way - it's just not there. I've always wondered but have not yet fired them up.

The display fuse is 250mA slow blow and I think the smart mod on the power supply is to drop the zener down to a 91 Volt to prolong display life.

Dropping the Zener in for +91 + -91VDC is a great idea - I do this to all power supplys I have to rebuild. It can sometimes highlight the weakest display with the reduced voltage, but it is better in the long run and easy to identify a display that will need to be replaced further down the track.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 04:29:50 PM »

SMOKE

Daniel,   sorry to hear that, all the display glasses were tested and good?  only the fault on the master display that I showed you and that wasnt the glass as I had replaced it to see if that would clear the fault?

Hope its an easy fix, maybe a cooked resitor on the HV power supply side..

Dean

No worries Dean not your fault .    I stuffed around forages with that Master display but the issue only got worse LOL so i swapped it for a working one with a cracked Display glass was testing a single display i had to see if the glass was any good when it went poof.....

I still havnt looked at it i have barefoot bowls tonight so maybe tomorrow night