Author Topic: Scared Stiff Restoration  (Read 1304 times)

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
Scared Stiff Restoration
« on: March 12, 2010, 04:43:39 AM »
Yesterday evening, I started on my Scared Stiff restoration project.

I'll start with some background info as I like to on games.

My love affair with Scared Stiff had a strange beginning. Years ago, I was in a friends garage and noticed a very neglected Scared Stiff in the corner. I asked about it, and he explained that he was going to part it out on eBay for its owner, who didn't have time to do it himself and offered a cut in exchange for the work.

The game was a very sad machine. It had a number of issues with it. Huge amounts of insert ghosting, weak flippers, the wrong sling plastics were installed, and it had what I like to refer to as a 'British' mylar job. In all fairness, I have seen this sort of hackjob done on French games as well, and French and British reimport games I've had are similar on many fronts. They almost all smell like ashtrays. The game also had a heavily damaged apron (apron decals were not available at the time), ramps that needed replacing, almost every single plastic broken, etc. A real POS game.

I suggested that the game could still be enjoyed, and it wasn't a partout candidate. The owner called my bluff, and said that I could have it for 2k - but he needed the crate assy for his other SS, which had a broken bracket. I bought the game, and then found out the bracket for the crate itself was $110 and was not easy to find! Also, there were a lot of other expensive parts in the crate.

I talked to a cousin of mine, and it turns out he LOVES Scared Stiff, having played it extensively in college. He doesn't own any pins, but he does come over sometimes and play mine.

I fixed the game up, played it for awhile, and worked a PFR restored SS playfield into a trade deal with a game someone was buying from me. Figured when cab art became available, I'd restore the game completely.

The PFR playfield: http://gallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/sstiff_pf

Before the cab art became available, the same friend who was going to part mine out had a nice SS in his collection he was going to restore, and lost interest after he had disassembled his playfield to send it off for repair. We worked a trade deal, my beat game for his game stripped, with new ramps and NOS plastics, I would keep my original shooter assy, coin door and crate, as the ones on my game were freshly rebuilt with new parts. He bought a nicer SS that didn't need any restoration, sold my beater, and I got his in pieces

Seemed like an excellent deal, but looking back, now I'm not so sure. I'll ponder it again once I'm done with the restoration. I can tear a game down and come back to it years later, pick back up and finish it, but trying to put a game together that someone else tore apart is a bit more difficult for me. Also, the friend told me if I found anything to be missing, to let him know and he'd find it. He passed away in January of 2009, so I can't really ask anyone for parts anymore.

My goal is to turn this game around in 3-4 months. I think it's doable.

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
Re: Scared Stiff Restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 05:38:44 AM »
Wednesday, March 11, 2010
Scared Stiff Serial #50748101010
Day 1 of 120      < 1% restored
First Photo Of The Day      Last Photo Of The Day
2 hours spent on project today   2 hours spent on project total
53 New images in album   53 Total images in album
Direct Album Link

As the CFTBL restoration winds to a close, it makes room for the next project.

The CFTBL sits staged to go to the basement gameroom, which involves stairs, so I am waiting on a friend who helps me move games to come over

Out with the old, in with the new. Just a dirty, messy filthy new game. Man I love this hobby! Time to unwrap!

Cabinet needs some repair. It's structurally sound, and overall not bad. Dirty, with very minimal fading overall. To decal this cabinet would be a waste. I can always come back and decal it, or grab a cabinet from a NBA Fastbreak or something to decal. In the meantime, I will freshen it up the best I can, repaint the interior, and detail it out with new clear tubing for the harnesses and braid, sound upgrade, etc. The inside may end up looking better than the outside. On the outside, I will clean, put on new siderails to replace the damaged originals, replace the start and flipper buttons, repaint all the hardware, replace the wooden chocks on the rear of the cabinet, and repaint the rear. I'm also going to fit a new coin door - because the one on the game now is dented in the middle. It also needs a little glue in a couple areas.

Who knows, I may change my mind on the cabinet and decals. But, that's a $500 part of the project I'm not prepared to tackle at the moment.

I actually installed a driver board to verify the boards are good, and the game works OK. Well, the boards work OK with no playfield attached, anyways

How about this, instead of take the time to convert the game properly, let's just cut some wires and nut them together?

Luckily, that's pretty easily fixed.

Notice how yellow the clear tubing is? Only a few dollars to replace it with new, so I shall do that!

And now, for the first surprise of the project, after unboxing all the parts!

The previous owner desoldered every lamp socket and switch from the harness. I typically clean the harnesses, complete with sockets and switches. Guess there's an extra few hours of soldering on this project :)

At this point, all the parts are torn down in respective groups to be cleaned and detailed.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:39:49 PM by johnwartjr »

Offline tura67

• Forum Posts:
  • Holland / the Netherlands
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:47:49 AM »
I am eager to see how this develops  ^^^
Pins: SS, T2, LOTR           Gone: Dr Who

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:28:04 AM »
Looks like another great resto thread on its way

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:17:35 AM »

John - We must exchange photos of our respective garages ! I thought I was the only one that had a garage that was stuffed full of pins and parts !

I LOVE SS. CV and SS are awesome machines. I've reconditioned at least 6-7 in my time and I never tire of working on them. I hope to own one - one day !

The great thing about SS - They ALWAYS look awesome once reconditioned. I will watch this thread with interest !

(I can't believe it was going to be parted out)
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 04:37:24 PM »
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Day 2 of 120      < 2% restored
3.5 hours spent on project today   5.5 hours spent on project total
15 New images in album   68 Total images in album
Direct Album Link

Lots of cleaning started today.

First, all the harnesses got a good scrubbing in the bathtub with degreaser and a stiff bristled brush. These cleaned up very well. I'm surprised by the lack of cigarette residues on this game. I'm starting to wonder if Belgium just isn't as heavy a smoking country as others. I guess it could also be that I am used to restoring earlier 90s games, and a SS is a 97 game, so is newer.

Harnesses hung to dry

These came out pretty nicely

Really a treat compared to the last game. A lot of the crap on the last game just would not scrub off regardless of how many times I tried or what I used - the wiring was just stained.

I took some industrial foaming cleaner on a microfiber towel and cleaned the sides of the cabinet to get an idea of how it will clean up. I am incredibly torn over whether to leave it as-is or decal it. I'm putting some feelers out for a used WPC-95 cabinet in hopes that I might turn up a solid one from a parted NBA:FB or other machine.

All hardware cleaned in the ultrasonic, will dry overnight and then tumble tomorrow. Cleaning before tumbling shortens tumbling time, and extends the life of the media in the tumbler.

All the metal hardware was soaked in diluted degreaser in hot water for several hours, then rinsed and dried. It will all be hand-polished with mothers mag polish and then in many cases waxed to prevent oxidation.

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 03:16:13 AM »
Sunday, March 14, 2010
Day 5 of 120      < 5% restored
6 hours spent on project today   11.5 hours spent on project total
5 New images in album   73 Total images in album
Direct Album Link

Parts being cleaned, polished, tumbled, etc

Lots of nice shiny parts coming out of the tumblers

Parts need wiped down and 'weeded', what I call the process of removing the crushed walnut bits from inside the screw heads etc.

Starting to polish bracketry. Red scotch brite 'wet sanding' with water or windex, then a hand buff with mothers mag polish. Parts in this game will be waxed as well.

Once parts are wiped down, weeded etc, they are sorted.

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 07:39:11 PM »
The 'weeding' part is the part i loathe John. The stupid small walnut pieces stuck in the heads of the screws...  ^&^

Funny that i see that you have logged your entries at the top of each post.

I have been doing this for years and am currently keeping a log on my ST TNG restore. I thought i was the only nut to do so !  %.%

RE the cab decals, of course it will finish off the game nicely with new decals but your decals still look great.

Hard call to make.

Love your work BTW !  ^^^
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 10:21:12 PM »
Awesome work John.  Setting the bar even higher each restoration.

The 'weeding' part is the part i loathe John. The stupid small walnut pieces stuck in the heads of the screws...  ^&^

I have been doing this for years and am currently keeping a log on my ST TNG restore. I thought i was the only nut to do so !  %.%

RE the cab decals, of course it will finish off the game nicely with new decals but your decals still look great.

Hard call to make.

Love your work BTW !  ^^^

I've got help when it comes to 'weeding'.  I give the bucket and a pick to my 'helper' and she takes care of it!   #@#
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:28:20 PM by MartyJ »

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 10:27:06 PM »
The 'weeding' part is the part i loathe John. The stupid small walnut pieces stuck in the heads of the screws...  ^&^

I agree, that is pretty boring work. I try to make the most of it. There are always a few pieces, of course, that get tossed because they just won't polish up because the finish was 'compromised' somehow, either in manufacture, along the way, replaced with the wrong part, etc. It's also hard to talk myself into tumbling some parts, as they are 2-3 cents each when purchased in quantity. But, if you just replace things, you're really missing the whole idea of 'restoring' something. I'm considering replacing all the solenoids on this machine for 2 reasons  - 1) several are non-original WMS coils, and I always swap those out and 2) I have a box of new OEM solenoids, and could replace all without buying any - and when I put a 'new' one into a game with 'restored' originals, a careful eye can still tell which one is new and which is restored. Then, I'd have a decent stock of originals that are used to put into future restorations. Still undecided about that. I came into a decent sized box of NOS WMS solenoids on eBay a few years back and they've been sitting here.

Yeah, I get a lot of questions like 'how many hours did that take' and I've not kept track officially before, so I figured I'd try to keep track here. I also considered setting up a blog. I think I'm going to eliminate the 'Day x of xx' part. At least the 'of xx' part, because having a schedule makes it less fun for me. Truth be told, I'd like this project to take a week, but if it takes a year, it's OK. A goal like taking 4 months is fine, but having '120 days' staring me in the face each day makes me feel like I'm falling behind, and I don't think that's a good idea.

I have been doing this for years and am currently keeping a log on my ST TNG restore. I thought i was the only nut to do so !  %.%

How many hours are you in to the ST:TNG? I need to give that game another chance. After playing a few, I wrote it off and sold the ST:TNG I picked up inexpensively. But, I need to play a nice clean tweaked one, I'm sure I'm missing something good. The theme just does nothing for me.

Hard call to make.

I think I'm gonna order the decals. $300 USD is a lot of money, but not much in terms of regret. And of course, once you spend $300 on decals, you can't forget the new side rails and other expenses to decal the cabinet. Prob need to add $500 to the project budget to redecal the cabinet. I want to continue my process of doing it once and doing it right! It just means that I may need to table the parts restoration and concentrate on the cabinet with my finances and time and come back to the playfield.

Love your work BTW !  ^^^

Thanks. I love doing it!

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 11:51:34 PM »
Good news re the decals !  ^^^

I have logged in 57 hours so far into my STTNG and i reckon am close to half way through the restore.  ^&^

New decals and A LOT of cabinet prep work on this pin...
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 03:34:52 PM »
Look forward to following another of your fantastic restores John  *%*
Must be a pain in the arse sorting all those parts that someone else took off without photos or identification  :D

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 07:33:48 AM »
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Day 8      < 10% restored
First Photo Of The Update      Last Photo Of The Update
6 hours spent on project since last update   17.5 hours spent on project total
10 New images in album   83 Total images in album
Direct Album Link

The cleaning and rebuilding continues.

Flippers are rebuilt

Slings and pops are rebuilt

Ball trough, minus grommet (on order) and trough PCBs. The box with the trough PCBs was nowhere to be found. I've got some good used ones to clean up, but am making an effort to find the missing box this weekend first.

Shooter assy and divertor assy, partially assembled

Under playfield boards cleaned, along with lamp boards

Targets, switches, lamp sockets also cleaned

Need to rebuild the leaf switches - EOS, pop bumper, sling and standup point switches

Also still assembling parts lists. Keep finding a few more things needed.

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 12:39:14 AM »
I haven't given up - admittedly haven't made a lot of progress on the SS in the last few weeks. Been saving up to order the parts I need to get moving. Cab decals are here, upgraded speakers are on order, most of the pieces I need to finish the playfield out are on order etc.

I did learn one interesting things - leaf switches seem to clean up a lot easier in a tumbler with walnut media! The results are as good as hand polishing, perhaps better, and it only takes about 24 hours. SS had a lot of them, 11 to be exact - and they all cleaned up like new!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 07:56:38 PM »
I haven't given up - admittedly haven't made a lot of progress on the SS in the last few weeks. Been saving up to order the parts I need to get moving. Cab decals are here, upgraded speakers are on order, most of the pieces I need to finish the playfield out are on order etc.

I did learn one interesting things - leaf switches seem to clean up a lot easier in a tumbler with walnut media! The results are as good as hand polishing, perhaps better, and it only takes about 24 hours. SS had a lot of them, 11 to be exact - and they all cleaned up like new!

Leaf switches in a tumbler - Interesting - Might have to try it !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia