Author Topic: Gottlieb Match Unit Rebuild  (Read 4571 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Gottlieb Match Unit Rebuild
« on: March 26, 2010, 11:44:33 PM »

Match Unit Rebuild

Often overlooked on EMs, but they are a necessary feature if you want the game to play as intended. The units are similar between 70's Gottliebs and Williams. This match unit is from the Canada Dry and is typically over lubricated and simply not working.

The Gottlieb Match unit is easily removed from the machine - two Jones plugs and it is removed.

A simple test proves it is not advancing. So we first start by removing the two screws - notice one screw is larger as it holds a bracket that is inside the unit. It takes a minute or two to remove the wiper arm etc.

So we are left with the plastic parts that are either worn or over lubricated. Remove the two screws holding the bracket and the unit is disassembled. I usually soak in degreaser and then alcohol.

All the dirty parts have been cleaned, and they are ready for reassembly.

The bakerlite boards are cleaned with scotchbrite pads and alcohol. Plastic parts are checked. If the teeth are worm, they can be replaced. A drop of machine oil on the cog and it is ready to be assembled.

Reassemble the wipers and brackets and test - All good !

Took around 25 minutes to complete.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Gottlieb Match Unit Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 11:16:14 AM »
Nice !
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 02:56:04 PM »
Good job Nino, looks like a new one ^^^

To test the mechanism itself to make sure it is advancing and not getting stuck I have used a 12V gell type battery and I think I have used a 9V battery too. Simply use a jumper cable to connect 1 side of battery to the coil. Do the same with the other side too but only momentarily touch against battery and it will pull in and advance the unit. The polarity is not important, but step it through a whole cycle to see if it gets stuck.
I found if it gets stuck you may need to get a new spring or increase tension on spring by putting a new loop on the spring and maybe adjust the little wiper arms at the side.

Sometimes the nylon ratchet or the shiny plate will be worn too in which case it may require replacement. These are not expensive and Pinball Resource have them too. Part numbers for these are:

GTB-A9014 AS Relay Armature ( The shiny Plate) $4.20 Each
GTB-D8755 As Relay Spindle ( Whit nylon ratchet/cog wheel )  $2.90 Each

Sorry to hijack your thread Nino, I have had to do this on my Card Whiz before so I thought it important to include the above info. %$%

Chris

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 10:03:11 PM »
Good job Nino, looks like a new one ^^^

To test the mechanism itself to make sure it is advancing and not getting stuck I have used a 12V gell type battery and I think I have used a 9V battery too. Simply use a jumper cable to connect 1 side of battery to the coil. Do the same with the other side too but only momentarily touch against battery and it will pull in and advance the unit. The polarity is not important, but step it through a whole cycle to see if it gets stuck.
I found if it gets stuck you may need to get a new spring or increase tension on spring by putting a new loop on the spring and maybe adjust the little wiper arms at the side.

Sometimes the nylon ratchet or the shiny plate will be worn too in which case it may require replacement. These are not expensive and Pinball Resource have them too. Part numbers for these are:

GTB-A9014 AS Relay Armature ( The shiny Plate) $4.20 Each
GTB-D8755 As Relay Spindle ( Whit nylon ratchet/cog wheel )  $2.90 Each

Sorry to hijack your thread Nino, I have had to do this on my Card Whiz before so I thought it important to include the above info. %$%

Chris

Thanks for the parts reference - I could not find them in my manual  ^^^

Don't apologize, mate  - I appreciate the input  *%*
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 11:24:43 PM »

Or if you have plenty of patience you can use a small needle file and re shape the cog  ^^^

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 09:42:36 PM »
Thanks - great stuff
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.