Author Topic: What's a realistic budget for a first pin?  (Read 509 times)

Offline Bennyfactor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Butler, Perth
  • Soon, soon...
What's a realistic budget for a first pin?
« on: May 24, 2010, 09:18:14 PM »
I'm in Perth and looking to get my first pinball in the next 6-9 months, and just looking ahead I'm wondering what sort of money would be sensible to have put away when looking for my first pin?

I don't want a big project first up, but something that needs minor work is ok - i like pulling things apart to find out how they work
I'm not tied to a particular era of pins, EM SS DMD are all fine by me but I do want something that's going to be fun to play and isn't going to get boring quickly

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Re: What's a realistic budget for a first pin?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 09:42:04 PM »
$2000-2500 will get you a nice machine that will hold your attention.  It won't be an A list machine but alot of them are over rated anyway.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 10:09:07 PM »

It really depends on what you want to sink your teeth into - EMs are usually under $1000, SS are under $2000 and DMDs can cost $2000 - $4000 depending on the title.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:12:22 PM »
i feel it is best to buy a dmd fully working for your first pin. best bang for ya buck.

(buy a working machine, because if u get bogged down fixing something, it might put you off buying more pins in the future).

a great dmd machine can be had for around 2 grand. Oscar should still have some great titles left for around that money.

It all depends where you live.  plenty of great machines available for around 2 grand.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline narf

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:17:17 PM »
maybe try a working project

me and daics cut our teeth on one from morrie and gibo

was working just needed a really good clean and shop out. that way you get your hands dirty and learn the machine as you go

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 12:00:09 AM »
If you can do it, buy two machines straight up, even if one is a project. The beauty of owning two machines is that you get some variety, and if one machine is down then you can still play the other while working on the one that has problems. If you had around $3600 - $4000 you would be able to get yourself two decent titles.

Offline Bennyfactor

• Forum Posts:
  • Butler, Perth
  • Soon, soon...
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 10:49:04 AM »
I see your point cave
I have been wondering if I'm better off getting into an older pin first and over time moving to the DMDs, but I can't help thinking that a DMD has more to offer and so will hold my attention longer

I like that idea Narf, i'm happy to get a pin that needs a really good clean, and an overall shop, but I'm not looking to be restoring a playfield or fixing anything major

I wish i had the $$ and space for 2 pins, but I've gotta be realistic and 1 cheapie needs to be what I'm looking at first time around
so something like a fish tales or judge dredd would be what I'm looking for?

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 11:16:14 AM »
Fishtails is a great game,will take one before a JD.You want something you can play not fix.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline Prince

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 12:57:13 PM »
How about Popeye?
One on ebay at the moment - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Popeye-Pinball-Machine-/380236447589?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item5887dbbf65

Curious to see how much this goes for + freight to Perth, might be ideal for your first pin.
SC.

Offline Ric

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 02:39:39 PM »
Popeye is considered to be a dog of a machine

If you are coming into the hobby, I would recommended a working pin  as a first pin and maybe a project as a second or third. Projects can create unforseen hassles and may actually turn you off pinball.

for a first game, you want to be able to turn it on and play it.

as for what tyepe of game, it is personal preference. Try to get out and play some to get an idea of what you like. Some people love the feel and skill of an EM whilst others find them slow and uninteresting. Similarly some people find the speed of a lotof DMD games to be frustrating.  

Play some games and narrow down an era and then research ipdb to see the types of games made at that time.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 06:43:58 PM by Ric »

Offline indazone gav

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 04:15:54 PM »
I'm in Perth and looking to get my first pinball in the next 6-9 months, and just looking ahead I'm wondering what sort of money would be sensible to have put away when looking for my first pin?

I don't want a big project first up, but something that needs minor work is ok - i like pulling things apart to find out how they work
I'm not tied to a particular era of pins, EM SS DMD are all fine by me but I do want something that's going to be fun to play and isn't going to get boring quickly

$9,000 get a MM

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 08:39:10 PM »
I see your point cave
I have been wondering if I'm better off getting into an older pin first and over time moving to the DMDs, but I can't help thinking that a DMD has more to offer and so will hold my attention longer

I like that idea Narf, i'm happy to get a pin that needs a really good clean, and an overall shop, but I'm not looking to be restoring a playfield or fixing anything major

I wish i had the $$ and space for 2 pins, but I've gotta be realistic and 1 cheapie needs to be what I'm looking at first time around

Fish Tales is a good fun title. Some people regard it as too shallow to be a long term keeper; others see it as a definite in their collection. I suspect $2500 would score you a real nice one, although they can be had for less.

Offline Bennyfactor

• Forum Posts:
  • Butler, Perth
  • Soon, soon...
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 10:30:09 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Gav, MM doesn't quite fit my criteria this time around  @.@

Offline Pinmem

• Forum Posts:
  • Caroline Springs, Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 10:44:20 PM »
Thanks for the plug Brett, There is still a few machines at that price.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 02:12:43 AM »
Believe it or not, POPEYE is a bloody good machine to play and own !
The title seems to be "kid like", but from a pure pinball point of view, it is a Williams widebody, and has alot going for it.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is another "kid like" game, but alot of fun. Another keeper.

Some machines can be serious, some "kid like" machines can be lots of fun.

Go for a DMD machine, buy it shopped, cause sellers like Oscar in melb have machines suited to your budget that will not let ya down like a Ebay surprise machine might ?

Be quick but, cause all the bargains get snapped up real quick !  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !