Author Topic: Pinball Machine inclination angle  (Read 2236 times)

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
Pinball Machine inclination angle
« on: December 22, 2008, 08:52:58 PM »
Hi All,

Just wondering what's the correct way to position a pinball machine (and don't say "on it's 4 legs" hehehe).

What i mean is, should the bottom of the cabinet be exactly horizontal (parallel) to the floor, causing the natural playfield angle be "the norm" ????.
I notice some machines are on such a steep angle that the front legs may almost fold under if not careful.

I assume that most users tilt their machine forward for faster playfield action? and it's all a matter of personal preference?

Also, are all 4 legs the same? or are there front/rear pairs?
I've noticed the front legs on my Time Machine are practically straight, whereas i'm used to seeing pins with legs that rake out from around the bottom-most part of the cabinet.

Maybe i put the legs on backwards?  !@#
MM.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Pinball Machine inclination angle
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 08:58:16 PM »
Hi All,

Just wondering what's the correct way to position a pinball machine (and don't say "on it's 4 legs" hehehe).

What i mean is, should the bottom of the cabinet be exactly horizontal (parallel) to the floor, causing the natural playfield angle be "the norm" ????.
I notice some machines are on such a steep angle that the front legs may almost fold under if not careful.

I assume that most users tilt their machine forward for faster playfield action? and it's all a matter of personal preference?

Also, are all 4 legs the same? or are there front/rear pairs?
I've noticed the front legs on my Time Machine are practically straight, whereas i'm used to seeing pins with legs that rake out from around the bottom-most part of the cabinet.

Maybe i put the legs on backwards?  !@#
MM.

Depends on the game - Gottlieb used 27 inch on most of their games - 2 inch leveller in the front and a 3 inch in the back. Bally used 28 1/2 inch.

All my games have levellers. Front ones are screwed in all the way.
Rear legs are screwed in to allow a nut size worth of thread above the tightened nut.

Games are levelled off using a spirit level..

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Marty Machine

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:23:11 PM »
Games are levelled off using a spirit level..

So, do i hold the spirit-level on the underside of the cabinet making the pin sit parallel to the floor? (0 degree offset), or do you lay it on the playfield and set it for "xx degrees" ??

MM.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 09:35:20 PM »
Ooooh,

Interesting question and believe it or not there is no definative answer.
With the latter day machines, i just put the spirit level across the PF and level off that way - do it top and bottom. As for angle - thats entirely up to you, floaty balls are a pain but so are super whizz down the gullet balls - the balance is up to you.

With some of the older 50's 60's games you balance the machine to game play, depending on the design there may be a preference for all the points and game play to one side, or a drain on one side. Slightly off angle balances this out. Some of the rollover shots can be tricky especially if you are using the correct size balls for these as the gap is tight. You dont want the ball floating around these, but you also dont want it smashing through them.

With the woodrails, i always balance off with the spirit level then fine adjust to game play after that

Marty Machine

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 09:44:15 PM »
Aaaah, ok, that's clears things up a bit.

I'll stick to "level" as the sideways level of playfiled, and "angle" as cabinet/playfield tilting forward  &&

Some machines just look silly when the backbox is leaning forward at maybe 80degrees or less  :D

MM.

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 12:08:24 AM »
I am with Retropin on this one - try different slopes and see how the game plays.  When you find an angle you like, tighten the lock nuts and away you go %.%  Changing the inclination can completely change the character of a game, so give it a try.

Side to side use a spirit level as suggested.

cheers
Ian

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 10:56:24 AM »

Another point of interest is that if for example, you own 4 Ballys KISS, Paragon, Fathom and Medusa... Line them all up. Now they are the same cabinet design, so, they have to all be set the same so that the heads are level ! Thankfully, Paragon is a fast widebody !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 04:15:33 PM »
All later WMS/Bally machines should be set between 6-6.5 degrees, use a inclinometer as the "TRU-PITCH" level on the playfield is not always accurate.