Author Topic: Game Controller - Future pinball developers please take note.. PINterface  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Finny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne Australia
  • Finnys Pinnys
New PC based controller could bring custom machines closer to mainstream adoption.

Recently Nu-Core replaced P2K, P-ROC introduced USB & PC control and now we have a new contender, PINterface.

All have there Pros and Cons but I would be interested in hearing the opinions from those who have technical or programming experience.

http://www.millisoft.de/pinsys_en.html
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:59:25 PM by swinks »

Offline Redback

• Forum Posts:
Re: Future pinball developers please take note...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:44:19 AM »
Hi Finny,

Thanks for the link.

I'm still going down the path created by Ben Hicks.. on the Bill Paxton Pinball.
However planning on LCD instead of LEDs for the display.
Big learning curve, however enjoyable.

Looks like for 507 us you have to solder together the Millisoft board.

Thanks for sharing,
Red
Found hobby, now need coin

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:25:58 AM »
Looks interesting; the more the merrier in some respects.

Hard to judge whether this one is better or worse than the other option.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:35:48 AM »
Looks very similar to the way Coconut Island is set up with a PC interfaced through a driver board. The input side is also done on that board (CI used an IPAC for input and a custom driver board for output). It's exactly the concept Nug and I spoke about - produce a kit at that level for people to develop their own games. Glad someone has done it - we lacked the programming expertise to make it work, this looks really interesting.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 08:47:04 AM »
Looks very similar to the way Coconut Island is set up with a PC interfaced through a driver board. The input side is also done on that board (CI used an IPAC for input and a custom driver board for output). It's exactly the concept Nug and I spoke about - produce a kit at that level for people to develop their own games. Glad someone has done it - we lacked the programming expertise to make it work, this looks really interesting.
very interesting.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:06:32 AM »

Seems like an area of development that is really taking off and is sure to become mainstream if we embrace and promote it. I agree with Andrew - the more the merrier !

Thanks for sharing !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Finny

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne Australia
  • Finnys Pinnys
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 03:23:43 AM »
Just chatted with the developer of PINterface, Holger, who said he won't be supporting DMD output as the common man would find it difficult to produce DMD dot animations but did not rule out it's incorporation at a latter stage. 80's style displays with LED's will be supported though.

P-ROC, so far is the Swiss knife of custom controllers but the software is high level in respect of programming. (Python). I believe there is some kind of driver or interface which will run pinball simulation software like Future Pinball or Visual Pinball etc…being developed. If successful, this solution would be like Adobe CS5 for custom pinball.

It seems that Holger's PINterface is targeted at the common man who needs a basic solution with easy scrip type software.

Nu-Core is best for a P2K brain transplant.

Ahhh yes… don't we love technology!