Author Topic: PCB repair; burn and holes  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Maxprofits

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat, Victoria
PCB repair; burn and holes
« on: June 14, 2010, 05:26:25 PM »
Recently I purchased a U/S DMD controller board from a 90's Williams/Bally machine. The board had a hole burnt in it that had been cut out with a dremel tool and very poor repair attempted by soldering a piece or vera board to the main board.
"][/URL]

To repair this board I first removed all the burnt components and sanded the crap and corruption of the board to allow a clean surface. Next I straighted out the edges of the hole use a dremel and file. Next I cut a piece of blank PCB and trimmed it the fix the hole in the main board. Next I taped the new piece of board in place one side and araldite it in from the other. After this araldite had set I did the same to the other side of the board and heated the repaired area with a pre-heater for a couple of hours at about 120 Degrees to really bake in the glue. Next I sanded back excess glue the marked the placed to drill the new holes. After drilling the new holes its just a matter of installing new plated through holes and track.
"]URL=http://img291.imageshack.us/i/img1569vz.jpg/][/URL][/URL]
The new area is lighter in colour.
"][/URL]
I also had to replace all of the remaining track and holes as they were buggered from heat exposure in the past.
I hope this information is helpful to someone.
So please dont through away your old broken PCB's as most of them can be fixed given enough time and effort. :)
The thicken plots.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: PCB repair; burn and holes
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 05:38:02 PM »
Excellent job but for those not able to do such an involved repair (particularly when we are talking about the high voltage section) you could have repaired it in minites using this:

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/index.php?crn=273&rn=2019&action=show_detail
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Maxprofits

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat, Victoria
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 06:56:30 PM »
Indeed. I did consider buying your product, however I am lucky that I have the resources, time and skills to repair PCB's. Perhaps I should have posted pics of battery damage CPU board as an example of my board repair.
This type of repair is probably beyond the scope of many hobbists would attempt, however I still felt that there may be one or two members who may find this tread helpful. For everyone else I would recommend your product.
I really enjoy the challenge of bringing something back to life. Plus the feeling of repairing said item.
Cheers,
Dan.
The thicken plots.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 07:58:59 PM »
I 100% agree with you - also as you have said, there are many who do not posses the skills or time that you obvioulsy do - so for them a repair (such as yours) is out of the equation.

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline dj10555

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 08:15:21 PM »
Nice repair. Another original board saved.  Where are the stick on tracks and pads available?
regards Derek

Offline FirePower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 01:56:59 PM »
Good on you MaxProf, an interesting and nice repair with good ingenuity.  I like seeing stuff like this done - it's not just about the economics of the repair.  I do wonder about the first nong who bodged the vero board in - what did they think they were doing ....?  Thanks for posting.

Offline Maxprofits

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 03:43:42 PM »
Thanks,
I'll find out were we get the hole repair and track kits from and post it here.
The thicken plots.