Author Topic: My second pin has arrived - Pro football  (Read 17142 times)

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
Re: My second pin has arrived - Pro football
« Reply #330 on: June 23, 2009, 09:57:18 PM »
Ford baby.....

have put it in " TIPS 101"or whatever its called... this should see you getting that game running for your birthday!

Thanks again for that Gav!! i've always wanted to know how to use a multimeter.. ooh i just remembered the stepper unit (where i think the problem is) what do i test there?

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #331 on: June 23, 2009, 10:16:52 PM »
To test the stepper you put one lead one one end and the other on the other end of whatever you want to test for example put it on the first wire adjust the stepper so the wiper arm contact is on that rivet and then put the other end on the wiper plate contact? Should sweep if its making contact or Buzz if its a digital multi meter

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #332 on: June 23, 2009, 10:29:10 PM »
sounds easy enough!!  ^^^ thanks! hope multimeters aren't expensive  !*!

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #333 on: June 23, 2009, 10:33:19 PM »
sounds easy enough!!  ^^^ thanks! hope multimeters aren't expensive  !*!

Depends on what type you get.  I think Gavin's definately on the right track for getting an analogue one for EM's.  They are cheaper.

I've had a couple of digital ones....A real cheap one from Bunnings...No good.  Then a cheapish one from Jaycar which I thought was OK, but has been giving misreadings the whole time.  I finished up with a Fluke, which are a very good multimeter.  Although I'm using mine more and more so the cost wasn't too bad.

Offline SPURR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #334 on: June 24, 2009, 10:35:26 AM »
Rob go and check Dick Smiths some times they have good meters going very cheap on a sale, this is what I do i have scored a couple this way.
Rob buy a digital meter that has BEEPER on it so when doing a test you dont have to look at the meter whilst you are working it gives a loud beep noise when continuity is made. These are also better at reading voltages eg. coils and lamps. You should pick a fair quality meter for approx $45.

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #335 on: June 25, 2009, 02:40:25 PM »
Ok some multi meter fun...

I tested the first switch (closest to coil) on the s relay which is on the side that has only 3 switches and it is normally open. However when i test i get a reading that suggests that there is continuity. When i close the switch the result is the same. WTF???

Forgot to mention that this switch is bridged to the one next to it which is also normally open so i still would expect no continuity
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 02:42:16 PM by Ford Fairlane »

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #336 on: June 25, 2009, 03:29:30 PM »
If the switch is open and your getting Continuity you have issuestry sliding a piece of paper inbetween the two contacts the whole length of them and retest.  If its still continuos then the issue is further along

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #337 on: June 25, 2009, 06:15:55 PM »
just had a quick thought, if i want to eliminate 1 score reel as a problem, do i unsolder it at the coil or at the switches underneath. Want to rule it out or in?

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #338 on: June 25, 2009, 06:23:47 PM »
Be careful when checking open switches in an EM... just check them closed for now.
Reason being that it could be connected to a coil or another switch further down the line and the meter will read across these instead. You will do your head in testing open switches.

Eliminate all switches in closed positions ( in logic state) and then move on. We can tackle open switches later on

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #339 on: June 25, 2009, 06:29:35 PM »
I think your score reels are fine as they stop at zero now does anyone agree with this?

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #340 on: June 25, 2009, 06:31:30 PM »
I think your score reels are fine as they stop at zero now does anyone agree with this?

Agreed

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #341 on: June 25, 2009, 06:35:18 PM »
Be careful when checking open switches in an EM... just check them closed for now.
Reason being that it could be connected to a coil or another switch further down the line and the meter will read across these instead. You will do your head in testing open switches.

Eliminate all switches in closed positions ( in logic state) and then move on. We can tackle open switches later on

cool i thought i was losing my mind  :lol i just checked this particular switch as it connects to the AB relay which is what i have to hit manually to get the game working. Ok have tested the wire on the stepper on top between the 2 lugs and they have continuity. will need to keep following the relays though the start sequence Gav put up involves SB relay... i dont seem to have one of them  :lol. The manual (attached somewhere on this thread) does have a start up sequence so will follow closed switches on that.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #342 on: June 25, 2009, 06:36:04 PM »
Read your start up sequence.. you need to follow this.

Z relay resets player 1 score reel to Zero

This is done....

... SB relay resets player unit through score motor

This is the next step - youll need the schematic to determine which switch it is on the score motor ( if unit is not reset that is.. if it is... move to next step)

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #343 on: June 25, 2009, 06:39:56 PM »

cool i thought i was losing my mind  :lol i just checked this particular switch as it connects to the AB relay which is what i have to hit manually to get the game working. Ok have tested the wire on the stepper on top between the 2 lugs and they have continuity. will need to keep following the relays though the start sequence Gav put up involves SB relay... i dont seem to have one of them  :lol. The manual (attached somewhere on this thread) does have a start up sequence so will follow closed switches on that.

Interesting... I took the sequence straight off the Marvin site - there are mistakes on this site.. it is not 100% correct.

SB relay may be a typo if you dont have one... could well be AB relay... check the schematic.

If they are one and the same.. then they are activated through score motor... you have to activate by hand to get game going??? Find the switch on score motor and check its state

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #344 on: June 25, 2009, 08:31:09 PM »
Ok ccording to the manual, the sequence on this game is;

1. coin or button actuates s relay
2. s locks in through its own switch and a motor 2B switch
3. the motor starts running and the following takes place through the closed switches on s relay
a) total play meter and AB relay coil are actuated by switches on 3C and motor 1a .. THIS MUST BE WHERE MY PROBLEM IS.. (AB never gets actuated).. Have done some testing but`looks good... however its is a little dark so i might be testing the wrong switches so i will attempt the next daylight chance i get.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 08:35:00 PM by Ford Fairlane »