Author Topic: eBay and Video Game rant - Part II  (Read 390 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
eBay and Video Game rant - Part II
« on: July 03, 2010, 11:44:28 PM »

Folks - this sums up my frustration towards the vidiots that plague eBay..

Here is the cabinet I sold on eBay to a pair of "gentlemen" that had told me the "sob story" that they had been trying to locate an original cabinet in pristine condition to add to their gamesroom. They "guaranteed" that they would not adhere to the stereotype Vidiot (we had THAT discussion) that would remove the board and install a multigame and then peddle on eBay ;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170493437377&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

According to the BS auction - the original board "failed" so they replaced it with a 48 in 1 - How cute  !!@ !!@ !!@

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Taito-Arcade-Machine-1979-Retro-Classic-48-Games-/160451440389?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item255ba6af05

When you sell an item on eBay, and you have been  paid - Then it is the buyer's right to do what you want with it. I have no issue with that at all.  ^^^

But when someone shakes your hand, looks you in the eye, and gives you their word that the machine is going to remain in a collection and NOT be converted into a multigame - you have to think to yourself - Vidiots are really good people, it is "just me" that has had the misfortune to meet the bad seeds.

Yes - I've been had   @.@ - Can live with it. But it further re inforces my assertion that vidiots are idiots !

LUCKY - I didn't sell them the other cabs  <.> and I've banned the tossers from bidding on my other items I'll be listing..

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline narf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: eBay and Video Game rant - Part II
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 11:54:15 PM »
i had a bloke jiggle price down once. came down got the machine no worrries. i still made good $$ but was alot of bartering on price

then rings me up one arvo on how to remove freeplay since it was sited (48in1)  :lol

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 07:44:54 AM »
Unfortunately the world is full of cheats and liars now Nino and a man's word or gentleman's agreement means nothing.

You'd probably be able to sell most if not all of your stuff on the forum and save the angst of eBay I'd reckon.
Addicted to pins.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 09:09:18 AM »
We've seen the way Vidiots behave in other places - ready to bend you over at any opportunity.  !!@

Sorry that this happened Nino, but not surprising.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 09:10:02 AM »
Unfortunately the world is full of cheats and liars

and FleaBay seems to attract the worst of the low life scumbags......................
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 09:35:43 AM »
Unfortunately the world is full of cheats and liars now Nino and a man's word or gentleman's agreement means nothing.

You'd probably be able to sell most if not all of your stuff on the forum and save the angst of eBay I'd reckon.

I was apprehensive to sell the old cabs here on AP as it is really a Pinball forum. Given the fact I've sold Jukes, Billiard tables, cocktails and even a Cigarette machine here, I guess I should sell them here  ^^^

We've seen the way Vidiots behave in other places - ready to bend you over at any opportunity.  !!@

Sorry that this happened Nino, but not surprising.

I should have known better - But I have not hads the requirement of selling a pin on eBay for a few years now - and I never had issues then !

Unfortunately the world is full of cheats and liars

and FleaBay seems to attract the worst of the low life scumbags......................

I concur - eBay protects the buyers and the sellers have no rights. Vidiots + fleabay = Expect trouble !

In addition - I've sold over 100 flyers - most go overseas. Never had an issue with pinball flyers, but a vidiot bought 4 video flyers and threatened me with negative feedback over 0.55 cents (padded bag with protective cardboard VS a plain A4 envelope). That's right - negative feedback over 0.55 cents postage  !!@

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 09:40:37 AM »
I've sold a few pins too over the years without a single issue. I tried to sell a cocktail cab once - had untested monitor and most parts, but in pieces. The cab though was in beautiful condition. It was a for a project that never progressed as there was always something pinball to do. The thing got bid up to a respectable level then this well-known vidiot removes his bid with some lame BS excuse, throwing the auction into a mess. Gotta love those vidiots!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 09:47:19 AM »
Yep , I would suggest you ban those who buy your vids from further e-bay auctions
An I do not need to tell you never to let them use this prime pinball forum  <..>

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 01:05:25 PM »

Actually, I should mention that a member bought a video cabinet from me off ebay, and it is thus far the only "trouble free" transaction.

I stress that my rant is aimed at the "bad" transactions off eBay, that for some reason have occurred on some (not all) auctions.

I will be offerring some cabinets here before eBay - so far quite a few members have bought old arcade equipment, I just assumed people would not be interested.

Maybe a Video restore thread on AP  @@^

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 02:46:01 PM »
Welcome to Aussie Pinball/Video  or APV *!@

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 03:48:56 PM »
At the end of the day, its always going to be hard parting with a piece of history to an idiot who puts it back on ebay.

I have only had one business dealing with one video machine operator over my star trek voyager video game, and the seller was a moron.

But unfortunately, there are limited people who love the items first, and the money second. Thats what seperates the true collector to a marketeer.

I would only sell my machines if i was ever selling to a collector/user who i know would appreciate it. Seeing something you have put some blood sweat n tears into, being carried off by anyone but a collector would be heart breaking. Long live the true collectors i say.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 04:04:15 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 07:15:26 PM »
At the end of the day, its always going to be hard parting with a piece of history to an idiot who puts it back on ebay.

I have only had one business dealing with one video machine operator over my star trek voyager video game, and the seller was a moron.

But unfortunately, there are limited people who love the items first, and the money second. Thats what seperates the true collector to a marketeer.

I would only sell my machines if i was ever selling to a collector/user who i know would appreciate it. Seeing something you have put some blood sweat n tears into, being carried off by anyone but a collector would be heart breaking. Long live the true collectors i say.

Having thought about it - I think that you have a valid point there, Brett. These machines I've moved on were part of my life for as long as I can remember. The games I've passed on to people I know have made me feel VERY pleased that they have gone to good homes and should I ever decide to play that game, I know it is a phone call away. It's never about the money for me - I want these games "scattered" to people I know. I remove each monitor and chassis and have the tube rejuvenated and the chassis upgraded - so they last longer (as they are quite old). Most people want Jamma and LCD. I'm "old school" and I'd gladly spend the money on repairing the old - to keep the "character".

Welcome to Aussie Pinball/Video  or APV *!@

Greg - I've been spending the last two months clearing out the bloody storage building - all I've been doing is Video machines. I still have over 100 gameboards to test and to be honest - I can't wait until they are gone so I can concentrate on Pinballs. I have not repaired or restored a pinball in 3 months.

AP was and will always be a "predominantly" Pinball site. That's why I chose to sell on eBay rather than offer them here. But I'm more than happy to offer them here - which I will - based on the advise of a few people. After all - just about everyone I know has a bit of both  ^^^

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 08:13:06 PM »
There are a couple of dedicated vids I would like: SI, and Starwars. I have owned and sold 3 woodgrain vids, so guess they didnt hold my interest for long (made me some bucks though).

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 04:35:54 AM »
the way I look at it is if you want a 48 or 100 in 1 with a new lcd screen or a mame cabinet then either A: buy a cab thats been gutted and is beyond restoring to original and repair and respray it. Or B: Build or buy a new cab.
what they have done would be like them buying a fully restored E.M or S.S and stripping the guts and back glass out of it and making a custom pin with a translite.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)