Author Topic: GTB SPIDERMAN - sometimes you get lucky  (Read 796 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
GTB SPIDERMAN - sometimes you get lucky
« on: July 04, 2010, 08:44:30 PM »
Had this machine sitting around for ages now - approx 2+years.
I need a break from the 2 PF's im doing so i decided to start stripping SPIDERMAN back and see just what condition PF i end up with.
This machine has been sitting sround without a PF glass on it for god knows how long.. its how it came into the country. Its pretty filthy all over.

Now SOME sections of the PF have been mylared..

You can see the edges on the pic above.. you can also see how the Mylar has shrunk back on itself and left a thick line of glue and dirt.
Normally when Mylar shrinks back like this, its seen some heat or direct sun, this normally bakes the stuff on.

Heres some more pics.. plenty of grime!

Im always in 2 minds regarding Mylar.. i absolutely hate the stuff, cos i have to remove it and this makes me nervous. On the one hand the Mylar would have protected the PF over the years thus preserving it. On the other, it has to be removed and this can rip what seems a good PF to pieces.
Question is.. will removing the Mylar leave the PF in a condition par to that had it not been in place at all?

There  is one area on this PF that is of particular concern.. right between the bumpers there is none, the paint has bubbled underneath what Mylar is there and i reckon its removal will just take all this paint with it

You can see why this area concerns me... looks like the paint is very weak here... im not looking forward to repainting all this.

What the hell..... its GOT to come off so may as well get on with it. Now this thread was going to be about how to very gradually lift the Mylar with WHITE SPIRIT, but it changed as i didnt have to use this method.
First up - right at the top i insert a scapel under the Mylar.... ?????? It lifts really easily and shaps off... so back again.... once again, brittle Mylar just lifts and snaps off.

This had to be the EASIEST Mylar removal ive ever done.. the glue has hardened and the actual Mylar sheet just peels off this... so much so that i ended up taking whole swaiths off with a bloody paint scraper... i get it underneath and the Mylar just pops off!

Now what about that are between the bumpers??

No problems at all - it still has to be repainted, but at least i have most of the artwork to work to.

All in all, shes a good PF... you can see where the Mylar was and wasnt...top left of this pic has the yellow is neat and bright and also filthy with inground dirt

10 mins with some ME and meths and its starting to clean up... this is going to be a long job though

The PF will restore well... quite a few areas lke this on it though

This game is a keeper. PF will be restored and CC'd.. new plastics etc and all also be making stencils for the cab...

.. sometime in the future ill have a VERY shiny AMAZING SPIDERMAN

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: GTB SPIDERMAN - sometimes you get lucky
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 09:15:47 PM »

I betcha that it is contact rather than mylar. What I've found is shrinkage like that (around the edges) is a dead give away. Mylar is thicker and does not shrink THAT much - just my thoughts.

Many machines of this vintage have an easy mylar/contact removal. I'm surprised you have not tried the hair dryer method ?

Looking at that playfield - there are some sections that would have been tricky - but you have the skills to restore it - so keep the updates coming !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 09:41:20 PM »
Oh ive done the hairdryer method.. its a bloody awful way to remove Mylar, it still takes fragile paint with it and if you heat up for too long you can actuall melt the paint underneath and it comes off like treacle.
I use the White Spirit method cos it dissolves the glue rather than soften it like the hairdryer. Bit by bit, with white spirit, mylar just slides off, even the most fragile of paint is left attached to the PF still

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:56:38 PM »
Spiderman is an awesome looking machine, and I have a thing for Superhero themes, lucky indeed.
Well worth the effort to clean up.
How did you plan to make your stencils stick on, or cardboard / timber?
Boots

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 10:20:03 PM »
Spiderman is an awesome looking machine, and I have a thing for Superhero themes, lucky indeed.
Boots

Stencils will be vinyl mate... see here..

www.flipperescue.com

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 10:34:34 PM »
Boots

Stencils will be vinyl mate... see here..

www.flipperescue.com

Would you get the same effect with vinyl stencils?
Originally in the factory they would have used steel stencils / templates with a timber backing for stiffening.
This would have allowed them to be used over and over again for a production setup.
Vinyl wouldn't give any edge overspray like the originals did, although probably the manufacturers didn't intend to have overspray but they did.