Author Topic: Pinball Demand 60s, 70s & 80s Pinballs  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Pinball Demand 60s, 70s & 80s Pinballs
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 09:09:57 PM »
Couldnt agree more - great write up and poses many questions.

How much is a pin worth??

FACT: Most 50's pins dont get floated around the general market, these are sold to those who express interest in them.
BCW had a load of 30's and 40's games in. The asking price on these was ridiculous. Rob had no idea of their worth but wished to squeeze top $$ out of them - $2000 for a flipperless 30's game is way out of the market.
These could ALL have sold at the right price - around 500 - 800 a piece dependant on title and quality.
later models say $1000 a piece. Between Tony and myself, we could have pretty much cleared 75% of the shipment. I KNOW how much these were bought for and where they came from and it wasnt Europe.

Asking someone what they paid for their project 1965 GTB is like getting blood out of a stone, but they are not as cheap as the $400 or so mentioned - fully working...$2000? But once again - dont expect to see it on Ebay, will be snapped up way before then...mates rates?? $1500 - $1800.

I dont mind paying top $$ for a very rare title and thats non working, i just got offered 2.5 times what i paid for a Wms 1951 game and i turned it down - money aint the issue, game and title are.

So what would i be prepared to pay for  a DD?

Well, id never buy it working as it would be too dear for me, i also wouldnt buy it with all the boards missing as the price difference between having boards and all missing is not what the boards would cost me - so unworking??

I dunno.... maybe into 3 figures though

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 09:11:54 PM »
If you really want to import some earlier pins, why not do it yourself combined with a bunch of like-minded enthusiasts?

Costs:
flights to and from location to source pins
accommodation while on trip to source pins
cost of packing pins and transporting to shipping port
shipping including cost of container and any import duties
anything else I've missed?

We know you can fit 36 pins in a container maybe plus some parts, so divide above costs by 36, and add to actual cost of pin. Find 35 other people (or less if you want more than one) to give you (most of) the money up-front, fly across to the right location and start loading a container. Hmm, this could be the hard part!! I guess there is a bit to learn about importing and getting hold of a container - but it might be worth it.

Thats why you need "spotters" overseas - i have 2 in USA

Offline silverball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 09:38:38 PM »
I am interested to hear peoples thoughts on the demand vs import quantities for Pinball machines of various ages.  From where I sit I see container loads of Pinballs being bought into the country by Companies such as Child Amusements, Silverball, Mr Pinball, The Pinball Shed, Bumper Action etc.

However, the majority of these containers seem to be 1990s era pins.  There seems to be little coming in from the 'Golden Era' 60s, 70s and 80s!

Now I would have thought that the demographic typical pinball player is in his 30s to 50s and that there would be a lot of demand for these older pins?  Simple economics tells me Supply Vs Demand that there would be less older pins currently available?

Anyway please post your thoughts here as I am interested to read your opinions.  Maybe if there is enough intrest in this thread the Commercial Guys will give it some further thought?  Seems that on Ebay US these old pins go for a steal, so come on guys pick some up and bring em to Aus for fanatics like me. #*#

I'm not a sponsor of this site, so admins feel free to delete any part or entire post as you wish.

We have over 60 project pins that we own and are in storage overseas. Greg makes a very good point about what people want versus what people want to pay. Titles include 2 x Devils Dare, 4 centaurs, 2 pink panthers, viking, 8 ball deluxe,black hole,medusa,xenon, and many more. We are still debating if it is worth bringing these machines in as a whole or in parts. When you add up the time, effort,cost of pin and cost to ship here, is really worth the hassle.
We have access to a stash of working classic pins, ballys, williams, gottliebs that are fully working and we are deciding if this should be the way to go.
Most people want  project pins, in working condition,with no missing parts and dont wont to pay more than a couple hundred dollars.

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 10:47:18 PM »

Well, id never buy it working as it would be too dear for me, i also wouldnt buy it with all the boards missing as the price difference between having boards and all missing is not what the boards would cost me - so unworking??

I dunno.... maybe into 3 figures though

Coudnt agree more, i rarely buy working Pins although I have, I would preffer non working bargins and fix them myself.  There are two reasons for this. 1. Save money.  2. I really enjoy fixing them. 

I also agree with your comments on buying machines with missing boards.  Unless they are super cheap i.e $100-200 forget it, especially if they are an unpopular title, unless you know you have access to spare boards or can buy them cheap.  I.E Say for example you pay $500-600 for a machine without boards, you then need CPU, Displays, Power Supplys, Driver Boards this could end up costing another $900-1000 bucks.  So you end up paying $1500 for a machine that is maybe worth $1000 -$1500 (depending on title of course it could be more) and you have put in all the hours that Nino stated.

Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 11:00:41 PM »
I am interested to hear peoples thoughts on the demand vs import quantities for Pinball machines of various ages.  From where I sit I see container loads of Pinballs being bought into the country by Companies such as Child Amusements, Silverball, Mr Pinball, The Pinball Shed, Bumper Action etc.

However, the majority of these containers seem to be 1990s era pins.  There seems to be little coming in from the 'Golden Era' 60s, 70s and 80s!

Now I would have thought that the demographic typical pinball player is in his 30s to 50s and that there would be a lot of demand for these older pins?  Simple economics tells me Supply Vs Demand that there would be less older pins currently available?

Anyway please post your thoughts here as I am interested to read your opinions.  Maybe if there is enough intrest in this thread the Commercial Guys will give it some further thought?  Seems that on Ebay US these old pins go for a steal, so come on guys pick some up and bring em to Aus for fanatics like me. #*#

I'm not a sponsor of this site, so admins feel free to delete any part or entire post as you wish.

We have over 60 project pins that we own and are in storage overseas. Greg makes a very good point about what people want versus what people want to pay. Titles include 2 x Devils Dare, 4 centaurs, 2 pink panthers, viking, 8 ball deluxe,black hole,medusa,xenon, and many more. We are still debating if it is worth bringing these machines in as a whole or in parts. When you add up the time, effort,cost of pin and cost to ship here, is really worth the hassle.
We have access to a stash of working classic pins, ballys, williams, gottliebs that are fully working and we are deciding if this should be the way to go.
Most people want  project pins, in working condition,with no missing parts and dont wont to pay more than a couple hundred dollars.

Oh David,

PLEASE tell me you have access to some 50s and 60s projects!

As mentioned in previous posts pins from this era don't really exists anymore as they have been snapped up. The only guy bringing them in from the US is Michael Shalhoub who has the contacts there. He doesn't come cheap - that doesn't reall bother me when I can drive to his place in 30 minutes and load my dual cab up with 3 or 4 games from this era.

Also the guys after these games are the older and seem to be cashed up - one of the joys of being a bit older - so Dave if you have access to these old girls bring 'em in - I will help you sell them. I just helped Mike sell about 20 games from this vintage.

Oh man I really need a classic pinball fix

Europe is the final frontier - have always wondered why somebody hasn't hit Italy as it had the highest pin shipment during the 60s outside the USA?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 01:44:15 PM by illawarra_steelers »

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 11:02:41 PM »
Oh John,

I think you'll find that the correct moniker is David or Dave for short.

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 11:04:28 PM »
Oh John,

Do'h fixed....stupid me  :D

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 11:20:33 PM »

That undiscovered short has migrated into your head Tony....
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 11:21:51 PM »
 :lol :lol Oh stop picking on me!  :lol :lol

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 11:29:13 PM »
:)
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 11:31:08 PM »
Nearly!

They are all aimed at the centre of my head!

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 11:49:32 PM »
Oh John,

Well, you fixed one occurrence, one to go. There is a Silvaball as well who is John, so the confusion was understandable.

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 11:51:24 PM »
I knew smoking all that weed one day would screw with my head  *)*

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 12:02:19 AM »
Dave ( Siverball dave)

When we spoke, i said bring in those projects mate - believe me.. they WILL sell... especially considering the titles you have listed

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 12:06:57 AM »
Dave ( Siverball dave)

When we spoke, i said bring in those projects mate - believe me.. they WILL sell... especially considering the titles you have listed

It just depends how much they need to sell them for to make it worthwhile. Obviously $200 or $300 isn't going to be enough, but is $500 or $600 going to be? Or are people prepared to pay $800 - $1000 (or more) for a project pin?