Author Topic: BEAKY'S NEW STNG RESTO (STAR TREK NEXT GENERATION)  (Read 13693 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
BEAKY'S NEW STNG RESTO (STAR TREK NEXT GENERATION)
« on: July 15, 2010, 10:04:34 PM »
One more sleep til Beaky's Star Trek- The Next Generation widebody arrives.  $#$

I will be picking it up at 9am Friday morn and dropping it off to him soon after.

I have lent Andy my 2nd Next Generation until his arrives, and luckily Andy serviced my machine for me and made it look 1 million dollars.

A good mate of mine, Martyn from the Gold Coast, scourced me a Project Next Gen, at the right price.

So, look at this thread and watch Beaky (Andy) turn a project Next Gen into a restored Beauty.  ^^^

Photos added friday 16th July !  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Its been a long wait for this one. 7 months LOL
I have owned it for a month or 2 but i have been waiting for delivery.
Any way a big thank you to Brett & Martyn for sourcing this pin.
The restore will go in the cue. After I finish the LAH then I will get stuck into the bk2000.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
Good work brett, andy and martyn

always bloody exciting to get a new addition to the collection whatever the title  ^^^
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
spent several hours getting Andys new STNG up n running today. there is nothing the man cant fix. It was quite satisfying bringing the Next Gen back to life after 10 years of being dormant in a warehouse !  ^^^

Andy shld place all the photos i took of the machine on the thread soon and u will get to see the project STNG straight from the container.

The playfield is great, all the boards are perfect, everything works and Beaky shld start stripping the machine down and will perform his magic.

I talked him into doing the full resto on the STNG instead of the Black Knight 2000.
(I knew once i got him started on it, he couldnt help himself  *)* *)* *)* *)* *)*

Anyway, the next post will be Andy's and hopefully (hint hint) he will add the photos.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
There were a couple of issuses with the boards, the display driver board had a blown bridge rectifier and the audio board had a dry joint on one of the caps which was stopping the speaker in the cab working.

the next problem i have is there is no power getting to the opto boards. There is power leaving the driver board in the back box but no power getting to the opto boards under the playfield. I am checking for a break in the wire to the opto boards.

any way here are some photos
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
and some more

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
more

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
Well, she is a bit dirty and in need of a little love n care, but i know exactly just how good this machine is going to come up.

A new set of playfield plastics, a treasure cove polish after a full stripdown, maybe even a cabinet redecall job, and this machine is going to look brand new. Obviously, need flipper kits n coils etc etc. Judging by the Last Action Hero job i have seen Andy do, this machine is going to be transformed greatly !

Cant wait to see this one transformed !  ^^^

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
ok i found the cut wire for the optos, some one had at one stage hard wired the 12volt wires to the opto board on the ball trough. then they had cut the wires off.
when i inspected the opto board i found 5 of the 7 leds missing and when i powered it up only 1 of the 2 leds left worked so i removed the faulty led an fitted 6 new opto leds fitted a new plug and socket and all 7 optos in the ball trough register in the switch test.

i also have found part of the mech that drops the top drop target either missing or broken so i will inspect bretts to see what part is missing and then see if i can buy or make one.

more work tomorrow.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
found the broken part for the drop target.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: BEAKY'S NEW STNG RESTO (STAR TREK NEXT GENERATION)
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 11:02:22 PM »
ok, I have started with a few little bits n' pieces,
After i cleaned the cannons they where very pale and faded, so i have resprayed them. getting the colour i got was a fluke, I started with an off the shelf Dusk Grey and added some Brunswick Green a little at a time until i got the colour.

This is the first time i have used the air brush to paint more than primer.
The Klingon ship will be next.

here is what a new one looks like

followed by before then after shots
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 11:23:17 PM by beaky »

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 11:09:44 PM »
very nice mate

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 11:11:10 PM »
Thanks Mark.

i am just finishing the final touch ups on the L.A.H and will start doing some serious stripping on the next gen soon

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 11:12:55 PM »
Thanks Mark.

i am just finishing the final touch ups on the L.A.H and will start doing some serious stripping on the next gen soon

you wont have time to do the STNG ... i think you will have other work to do !

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 11:15:58 PM »
Thanks Mark.

you wont have time to do the STNG ... i think you will have other work to do !
There is always time for resto work, I just need to make some time. it will just mean less sleep. LOL