Author Topic: SHOULD PINBALL 2000 ever be redone again ?  (Read 728 times)

Offline Private Gimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Mackay, Queensland
  • Fix'n and play'n Pinball
Re: SHOULD PINBALL 2000 ever be redone again ?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 11:55:24 PM »
I love my RFM, the playfield shots are middle of the road in skill which is fine and the art package is just awesome.
Very easy to work on and repair, the playfied coming out easily is a major plus. Just seems a little under done on rules development.

Not sure about SWE1 in as far a playability goes and heard as we all have that its a bit too repetative to play. Too much Jar Jar is the mantra.
I would like to get the SWE1 kit one day just for the hell of it so I have both games to play and evaluate on the platform.

Williams/Bally did a spectacular job building this pinball platform and is still the most advanced pinball platform ever devised.
I applaud the efforts of Big Guys Pinball and their Nucore system.

Pin2000 deserves to be further developed and isnt meant remain stagnant. If a new or modified Pin2000 software and or playfield
was devised I would be on it like a shot because the platform is just so good.

Might we ask for the best of both worlds, a retro Medievil Madness or Adams Family Pin2000??

Cliff

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 06:27:17 PM »
well said Cliff.    ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 06:48:35 PM »
The crocodile hunter pinball that is supposed to have been in development looks like a pin2000 cab in the photos,that might be as close as it will ever get to being redone unfortuntly.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 03:38:26 PM »
It would be great to see pin2K rehashed, unfortunately we never really saw its full potential, at the time pin sales were down and williams wanted the two games out quickly to try and get sales, RFM is ok, but SW is lame, just keep hitting the ball up into the middle, and you can get through all modes  ((( Unfortunately they needed novice players to be pumping in the coins to make sales so very easy rules sufficed.

Wizard blocks would have been cool, as it was the way Pat had intended pin2K to be, not a full screen video, just 'hologram' targets to shoot for with a little video added, we have all seen some of the vids of the unfinished game, and I think it would have been an 'interesting' step forward in pinball development, maybe not the saviour (obviously not the saviour) Williams was looking for but someting to get the general public to take a second look when they see one on location, I guess we would all like chalenging games but we need to remember the primary role of these machines was to make money for operators.

I personally doubt we will ever see it resurected, it would need so much money invested in it, but, you never know

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 05:34:57 PM »
I affectionately call both Revenge from Mars and star wars episode 1 "The Prams".

You could fit 4 x wheels to each machine and push it down the street and it will look just like a babys pram.

It was a huge jump in looks for anyone who was pinball educated, looked very much like a colourful mutant midget design, but definately gets people saying "what the hell is that thing" ? They grow on you after a while. The video stuff on both models is definately entertaining at the expense of serious game play/ball placement shots etc.

Has time been kind to the Revenge from Mars/Star wars Ep 1 models, or has it been unkind, is the question ?  !@# !@# !@#

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 08:08:54 PM »
If you are questioning if the games are ok compared to Sterns releases I would say RFM is, but SW:EP1 is so lame, I was playing a game on location a few weeks back (don't know why I bothered as I have played it many times before, but I just cant help playing a pin if I am walking past one) ball times are so long, video takes way too long, modes are too easy to start, just keep flipping the ball in any direction and you too can be a wizard, I love pinball, but, I was actually bored and was kinda waiting for it to be over, I almost walked away mid game  (((
Sorry to any SW:EP1 owners out there  !^!

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 08:56:44 PM »

star wars esp 1  a great theme   RFM  a better game

Wizard blocks  better than both .....

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 09:50:30 PM »
Collector here in Newy owns both in nice condition. Anyway they look UNREAL sitting side by side. If you own one, get the other because they look so good together.
 *%*

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 09:58:41 PM »
Personally I really enjoyed RFM, found SWEP1 to be a bit ho-hum. I would only buy RFM.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 10:54:09 PM »
The crocodile hunter pinball that is supposed to have been in development looks like a pin2000 cab in the photos,that might be as close as it will ever get to being redone unfortuntly.

Some photoshopping and a whitewood.

Hey that means NPC-002 is just as progressed!!

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 01:06:45 PM »
The new computers for the pin2000 games seems to be a good investment, but in ten years will they need replacing, anyone know the answer to this ?

Offline TSPP

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 01:44:42 PM »
I am looking into an RFM i the near future so this topic is an interesting read.

Is someone able to explain "wizard blocks" to me. Never heard of this  !@#
.....something witty here

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
The new computers for the pin2000 games seems to be a good investment, but in ten years will they need replacing, anyone know the answer to this ?

If you're talking about Nucore then I can answer. The original computer relied on multiple pieces of specific hardware. Nucore will use any computer hardware that can run Linux. So you can buy any off-the-shelf parts (that meet minimum specs which are extremely modest) and load Nucore. There is only one custom piece of hardware we had to build and that's the usb board (stores nvram data.) It uses very inexpensive, off-the-shelf parts compared to the original pin2k hardware. We have also made a promise to the community. If we ever decide to stop developing/supporting Nucore we will pass the project on. Our main intent was to be able to preserve the platform and we'll do our best to make sure that happens. On a side note to buy a replacement computer from wms when they were made was $1500 I believe (in case you wanted a spare.) Nucore uses a little over 200 bucks worth of new hardware.

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2010, 07:33:07 PM »
Hey chuck whats your opinion on how much cost would todays tech have slashed the price of a new p2000 cab ie with modern technology would it cost less to make a pinball on the p2000 platform than a new stern or if any were ever made say a new bally/williams.?

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 01:21:46 PM »
Hey chuck whats your opinion on how much cost would todays tech have slashed the price of a new p2000 cab ie with modern technology would it cost less to make a pinball on the p2000 platform than a new stern or if any were ever made say a new bally/williams.?

It depends. Stern's boardset is dirt cheap to manufacture. If pin2k were made today the computer portion would definitely be cheaper. Although they would have probably used the extra money for items like the LCD. Larry DeMar said they wanted to include an LCD with the original bust the cost at the time was way too high.