Author Topic: Pinball Tales - Stand-Alone services  (Read 3946 times)

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
Pinball Tales - Stand-Alone services
« on: July 29, 2010, 10:02:47 AM »
Hey Guys,

Thank-you all for the overwhelming support and feedback over the past few days. Its very much appreciated  #*#.

As you may have noticed, I am yet to add any stand-alone services to the Pinball Tales website. This is not a permanent fixture, as I simply didn't want to 'bite off more than i could chew' early on.

The following services are going to be on offer over the coming weeks, and the site will be updated as they become available.

* FULL PLAYFIELD SERVICE - Mylar removal, Insert levelling, ply repair, insert decal removal and application, full artwork restoration, new Mylar application, cleaning, polishing, and finally AUTOMOTIVE GRADE CLEARCOATING. I have been working hard to eliminate all possible 'risk' when it comes to working with my clients pride and joy (playfields). In order to combat any possible environmental contamination, all playfield sprays are carried out in a fully controlled spray booth, free from dust, and any silicone related nastys.

* FULL CABINET RESTORATION - Stripping, automotive high build priming/filling, re-grounding, sanding, colour matching, modding (such as increasing cabinet speaker cut-out sizing to keep that original factory look), Sandblasting service, original coin door restoration, chrome plating of original shooter housings and gun-handle grips, decal removal and re-application, airbrushing of faded colours (typical Bally red fade), milled speaker panels to allow for a bigger/smaller speaker.

***I'm curious as to what other pinball services people have been looking for locally, and require for their own projects? If you have any suggestions for other possible services you would like to see offered on the site, please let me know...***

Kind Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:40:28 AM by el_timbo86 »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Pinball Tales - Stand-Alone services
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 10:23:09 AM »

I think that playfield restoration is a niche area that I think will be an area of high demand. Artwork touch ups and clearcoating is an area that has not catered for the demand (in Australia). Certainly, there are those that CAN do the work (Like Gavin), but he can only do "so many" playfields before the back log starts.

I've of the opinion that you MAY find more work in the playfield restoration area, because many collectors and hobbyists are waiting for a professional service to become available. I would be interested to know if you intend on providing playfield restoration services on older machines, such as EMs - which were originally more of a lacquer than a clearcoat. So they are not a high gloss finish.

Backglass restoration - again - another niche area. From the typical Williams Red fade (Flash) to the cracking of the wafer thin ink on GTB System one backglasses. Even backglass sealing - as a service ?

Just some ideas - I feel that playfield restoration as a "stand alone service" will be time consuming and laborious, but there is a potentially huge demand for it.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 10:25:53 AM »

I think that playfield restoration is a niche area that I think will be an area of high demand. Artwork touch ups and clearcoating is an area that has not catered for the demand (in Australia). Certainly, there are those that CAN do the work (Like Gavin), but he can only do "so many" playfields before the back log starts.

I've of the opinion that you MAY find more work in the playfield restoration area, because many collectors and hobbyists are waiting for a professional service to become available. I would be interested to know if you intend on providing playfield restoration services on older machines, such as EMs - which were originally more of a lacquer than a clearcoat. So they are not a high gloss finish.

Backglass restoration - again - another niche area. From the typical Williams Red fade (Flash) to the cracking of the wafer thin ink on GTB System one backglasses. Even backglass sealing - as a service ?

Just some ideas - I feel that playfield restoration as a "stand alone service" will be time consuming and laborious, but there is a potentially huge demand for it.

I agree 100% Nino.  Tim is blessed with artistic skills and I believe that playfield restoration work will become his bread and butter as there is such a demand for it locally.  Once the PinTales standalone services are up and running, I'll be linking and recommending both his and Gav's services.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:55:45 AM by MartyJ »

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 10:35:02 AM »
Thanks for the ideas guys - i've got a list that is building and i'll have to start sorting out what i feel i can do to a proffesional finish, and what i'll leave alone.

EM era playfields is an area i definetely want to explore, and i understand that a nice, thick, glassy 2pac clear is not going to give the result most customers will be after. I might pick your brain more on that one at a later date Nino , if you dont mind  %$%

Marty, I'm adding your site to my links - i just had to neaten the section up a bit. Should be up there very soon.

Keep the ideas coming guys - its great food for thought  #*#

Tim
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:40:43 AM by el_timbo86 »

Offline andnic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 01:51:12 PM »
100% agree on the playfield restoration side, would be a big demand for this due to nothing really available currently.

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 04:21:42 PM »

AGREE AGREE AGREE - especially HIGH STANDARD clearcoating

I have had some idea's that may be cheap and interesting for this for years and am yet to 'experiment' with my idea - but will be in the next 6 months  &&
DW Drums rule !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 07:05:12 PM »

I agree 100% Nino.  Tim is blessed with artistic skills and I believe that playfield restoration work will become his bread and butter as there is such a demand for it locally.  Once the PinTales standalone services are up and running, I'll be linking and recommending both his and Gav's services.

Between the three of you guys, and with others that can clearly do similar work (Mitch as an example), it will enable pinheads to not have to rely on overseas services, that can take years. I know that when I source machines, I check to see if a repro playfield is available, because I have no artist skills whatsover. Personally, I'd like to learn, but there's no way I could ever reach the acceptable standard. So I work to my strengths. Ironically, I can repaint a cabinet, but I would much rather have a professional do my playfields - and I have a heap of work currently lined up with Gavin already. Unfortunately, he only has one set of hands !

EMs will be an interesting learning curve, and I believe Gavin has done some research on this with his "Bank A Ball". High Gloss clearcoats on EMs is not acceptable in my opinion. I'd rather see no clearcoat. They did things a little bit differently in the "old days", and subtle things like thinner paint and a yellow tinge on an EM adds to the character of the machine. Tim / Marty - if you need to "Study" an EM playfield I have plenty of EMs in storage !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Supremicus

• Forum Posts:
  • Emerald, QLD
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 02:31:40 PM »
I also have to agree with the playfield restoration side. Being able to get someone in Australia to touch up and clearcoat your playfield would be a booming market.

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 07:01:17 PM »
Hey guys,

I have slowly been getting the site setup (in between work, restorations and life in general).

I have now started to introduce the stand-alone services i will be offering clients - with cabinet restoration being the first to roll out. You will also see that Playfield Restoration is just about ready to begin as a stand-alone service, however i want to eliminate ANY possible bugs before taking on client work (to the guys who have contacted me about it, sorry about the delay but it will be worth the wait). Things are looking really good though, and it shouldnt be long until i can help people with their playfields. I have been trying a number of different finishes for EM playfields, that will provide a) the protection needed for a playfield, and b) the original colour and appearance. I still have a long way to go in the EM related area, but SS -> DMD era games where diamond plate was beginning to be introduced will be good to go SOON! #*#
http://www.pinballtales.com/stand-alone-services/

Under the 'builds' tab - you will be able to follow a Williams Firepower restoration, that both Marty (Melbourne Pinball Restorations) and myself (Pinball Tales) are taking on. MPR is taking on the majority of work, and I have been sub-contracted to handle the cabinet and playfield restoration. I'm really excited about this project, and i suppose a little sad at the same time, as this will be one of MPR's last 'commercial' restorations.
http://www.pinballtales.com/builds

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Marty for everything he has helped me out with since I registered as a member here. I look forward to seeing what he does next regarding his personal restorations - all the best mate  ^^^

I will keep everyone updated regarding the playfield service, and as always - any feedback is welcomed.

Kind regards,

Tim Reid

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 08:11:20 PM »
Hey tim any progress on the clearcoat services yet?

ben

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 08:25:51 PM »
Hi Ben,

Certainly havent forgotten about the stand-alone services. I am currently finishing out the final two 'test' playfields, and after that i will make a management decision whether to start offering the service on a commercial level - or continue refining the process even further.

The playfield restoration and clearcoating side of my business is something i want/NEED to get absolutely PERFECT from the get-go. I can promise you it will be worth the wait, and i will be sure to update this thread as soon as this service is made available.

Kind regards,

Tim

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 08:33:58 PM »
I think that's very honourable Tim in your philosophy. Dont' offer something you're not absolutely comfortable with. That way if you get any poor feedback you can feel pretty confident in defending yourself. Hopefully this will never happen and taking your approach should minimize such occasions.

Look forward to you perfecting the process. I hope you succeed as I may need your services.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline rads

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 08:49:27 PM »
Good luck with it Tim.  I have an Addams playfield waiting for the service to start

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 08:50:02 PM »
Very sensible approach Tim.

I seem to recall Daniel had a Gorgar playfield he just picked up needing a minor touch up & wax to get it looking smart!    &&

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 09:09:39 PM »
Sounds good tim,after reading your resto threads on funhouse and the terminator,the quality of the work would suggest you dont have much to worry about,good luck with it.