Author Topic: FORUM MEMBER NUMBERS ?  (Read 894 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
FORUM MEMBER NUMBERS ?
« on: August 08, 2010, 02:33:18 PM »
Do the MODERATORS have a rough idea as to how many "regular" members/posters there are compared to dormant forum members who havent been on for a very long time. ?

How many "Regular" members does Aussie Pinball have ? and how many "New" members has Aussie Pinball had in the last 12 months ?

Which MOD looks after these statistics who could answer these quik questions for our general knowledge !@#  Thanks !
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: FORUM MEMBER NUMBERS ?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 02:41:11 PM »

This little page reveal all - well "almost" ;

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?action=stats

You can drill down and view more statistics. We do have some filtering in place to keep the spammers etc from registering. As with all forums, there are lurkers, regulars and the Bar flies !

We used to "cull" the numbers down by removing in active login names, but that has not been done for a while.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 02:58:55 PM »
Quality over quantity!

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 07:52:29 PM »
That is a really interesting question - there will always be less 'active' members than registered as some people just like to read the posts without ever posting; no problem in my opinion. And there will be people who signed up, read a few posts and probably have never logged in again. That's how it goes.

The fact remains that there are enough active members here who have the knowledge and experience to answer even quite detailed questions and address tricky pinball problems, as well as give very good examples of how to restore a machine. To me that is where the primary value of the site lies; flowing from that is the occasional chance to meet up with other members at meets and so on.

If you look at the stats the most revealing one to me is the surge in new members in May and June last year (and even July), which is directly attributable to AP's presence at the Pinball Expo. What would be interesting is to work out how many of those new members stuck with it and are still reading posts today.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 01:01:10 AM »
well said AJ.

I asked cause I wanted to know, how many "fulltime" pinball enthusists there are in the land of Oz.

Like, if u said, anyone who lives, eats n breathes pinball, who calls "pinball" their main hobby and interest, turn up to the MCG. (say travel was free)

I wonder would there be 200, 800, 1500 or 2000.  !@#
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 01:12:52 AM »
well said AJ.

I asked cause I wanted to know, how many "fulltime" pinball enthusists there are in the land of Oz.

Like, if u said, anyone who lives, eats n breathes pinball, who calls "pinball" their main hobby and interest, turn up to the MCG. (say travel was free)

I wonder would there be 200, 800, 1500 or 2000.  !@#

Well, the best way to figure this out would be to ask all the commercials for customer stats. But then again it might not get you too far!

I am guessing there are a few; 2000 might be a pretty good guess.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 08:06:02 AM »
I know there are plenty of guys who are pretty serious about the hobby that either don't know about or choose not to be part of forums like this.

I'd love to know just how many machines are actually in Oz?  There'd still be plenty sitting out in garages and sheds that haven't worked for years gathering dust.
Addicted to pins.

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 01:41:11 PM »
I'd speculate that there are few who don't participate because they see the site as becoming too commercial.  It seems to be heading more that way in the year or so I've been reading.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 02:39:48 PM »
I'd speculate that there are few who don't participate because they see the site as becoming too commercial.  It seems to be heading more that way in the year or so I've been reading.

Truth be known, we have reduced the number of Commercial "industry" entities. We introduced the idea of adding "member's services" - such as "Flipper Rescue" nearly two years ago. We encourage members to add what ever services they can provide to members.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 02:44:13 PM »
There are only 5 members
all the other accounts are alts

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 03:14:29 PM »
same guys post day in, day out

Yes it seems that every second member has a commercial service to offer. I dont see that as bad, because tech and resto info is shared pretty freely. If that changed, well it would suck.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 07:42:43 PM »
same guys post day in, day out

Yes it seems that every second member has a commercial service to offer. I dont see that as bad, because tech and resto info is shared pretty freely. If that changed, well it would suck.

yep

yep

yep

Some people are shy and don't post.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 07:52:15 PM »
I don't really care how many post along as what posted it worth reading.   If you wanted to see how many members read and pay attention make up a lone thread for a month and ask each person who reads it to add one post only and see how many replies you get.

To many posts about crap make me lose patience for example AA if I don't log on for 2 days I end up with 300 unread posts of which 295 I have no inteerest in.  Nothing against AA I just don't have the time or patience to read that many threads about random stuff

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 10:35:35 PM »

Truth be known, we have reduced the number of Commercial "industry" entities. We introduced the idea of adding "member's services" - such as "Flipper Rescue" nearly two years ago. We encourage members to add what ever services they can provide to members.

Nino,  I don't follow your logic here?  Why did you want to reduce the number of commercial industry entities if you want to encourage members to add what ever services they can provide to members.   Why some commercial entities and not others?  Are you saying some commercial entities are not welcome as members?

By the way I'm not stirring here, but I can't work it out. From the intro and site description that appears on the site welcome page - reading that, to me it seems to suggest the site is far more angled towards non commercial hobbyists, enthusiasts and collectors.

I've really enjoyed and learnt from the contributions of those who do restos and post pictures, details, tips and description even with a few plugs.  In this context the plugs have always seemed incidental and fairly innocuous to me.

Maybe I'm too naive, I am purely a hobbyist; I don't seek to make any money out of pinball.  I have asked questions and benefited from the site and on occasion contributed where I thought I could offer an opinion or help but truth be told I've always thought a weakness of this site was its' sponsored commercial sales nature - at times it seems to just be a sales advertising forum.  It is this angle that I was commenting on as to lowering peoples' desire to participate.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 11:47:53 PM »

Nino,  I don't follow your logic here?  Why did you want to reduce the number of commercial industry entities if you want to encourage members to add what ever services they can provide to members.   Why some commercial entities and not others?  Are you saying some commercial entities are not welcome as members?

By the way I'm not stirring here, but I can't work it out. From the intro and site de******ion that appears on the site welcome page - reading that, to me it seems to suggest the site is far more angled towards non commercial hobbyists, enthusiasts and collectors.

I've really enjoyed and learnt from the contributions of those who do restos and post pictures, details, tips and de******ion even with a few plugs.  In this context the plugs have always seemed incidental and fairly innocuous to me.

Maybe I'm too naive, I am purely a hobbyist; I don't seek to make any money out of pinball.  I have asked questions and benefited from the site and on occasion contributed where I thought I could offer an opinion or help but truth be told I've always thought a weakness of this site was its' sponsored commercial sales nature - at times it seems to just be a sales advertising forum.  It is this angle that I was commenting on as to lowering peoples' desire to participate.

I'm not sure we are on the same page - I cannot follow your comments  :D

AP was setup as a resource site for pinball enthusiasts, hobbyists and collectors. Early days, we ran off our own pockets and donations. It is owned and run by hobbyists that are not millionaires.

We are not reducing the number of Commercials. We don't want to do that either. The site will evolve - more will be added and some may either cease trading or move into other areas in the Industry. We invited Commercial Sellers in the formation year, and left the door open for others to join up as time moved on. That's exactly what happened. We didn't actively persue sponsors - in some cases, they were already here. We don't actively need to chase Sponsors.

"Why some commercials and not others ?" I don't know - maybe go and ask them ?

Most commercial sellers are hobbyists and collectors anyway - but we needed the funds to keep the site running. They were there in the early days. To put it simple - No Sponsors = No site - Period.

Last year, we introduced the idea of members adding their own services - whether it be Neon signs, Barmats, clearcoat services, repair services etc.. Again - we had a decent response.

Aussie Pinball is VERY grateful towards our sponsors for assisting with the upkeep of the site and providing discounts to our members.