Author Topic: Not the best start to pinballing!!!  (Read 819 times)

Offline Douggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Not the best start to pinballing!!!
« on: August 09, 2010, 12:47:16 AM »
Loved pinballs since the 60's and always wanted to start a small collection. Recently bought my first pinny to "do up", It was an old Stern "Hot Hand" that I remembered from the lunch room of a company I worked in the 80's designing/repairing electrocardiogram systems....Anyway it was described on ebay as "good to excellent, only a couple of globes blown". I really had NO idea what old machines like this are worth (wish I had found this site first!) and paid a stupidly high price for it (considering its condition), physically its not too bad with wear and tear expected of its age. When I picked it up It was sitting outside and was told there was no power available to test it, stupidly I bought it anyway (Im rurual and had traveled some distance)....got it home and it was pretty much dead. Ive finally got it going, no cosmetic restoration other than a clean, I just wanted to play the thing. So far work has included....3 displays repaired (all had multiple blown resistors and driver transistors) the rectifier board was butchered so badly I gave up and scratch built one using tag board and vero-board, the lamp driver board was also butchered and took many hours to get working again. The MPU board was glitchy and several bypass caps and tantalums later it was working. Amazingly the nicad battery was perfect. Lots of switches were also badly pitted and some of the playfield globes had no holders and the wires directly soldered onto the globes!...I wonder what the chances are of having so many problems in the one unit?
The game actually plays quite well now, the only things left to do (Im not going to even try cosmetics like some of the brilliant jobs here) is the "knocker" thing is missing, Ive seen solenoids on ebay but the dont have anything attached to the plunger that would belt into the cabinet...would the "shaft"? be a seperate part???.....the only other thing (and Im hoping someone can tell the me the correct term/name for the part so I can try and buy one) is just above the flippers, there are "bumpers????" on each side, on the left hand side the acutator rod that comes from the solenoid and actually whacks into the rubber to bump the ball away is broken....If I cant buy the part I guess I'll have to try and fashion something up from scrap steel.......Anyway, I hope the next one I buy goes a bit smoother!
Cheers, Douggie

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Not the best start to pinballing!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 12:54:29 AM »
Well written Dougie. Its great to see you have those skills.

Its a current topic of late, ebay sellers and the info they forgot to mention. Still, you kept going and didnt let it beat you.

Heaps of A grade restorers on the forum. Lots of top blokes as well. Welcome !  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 01:08:16 AM »
Caveat emptor, so it would seem, especially when it comes to eBay.

I really have enjoyed playing Hot Hand when given the chance. Hope you can get this one running nicely - it sounds like you know your way around a pinball machine.

Now, in answer to your post I believe the area you are referring to above the flippers are the slingshots (aka kickers). It sounds like you are after a plunger for the coil.

You can probably buy knockers and coil shafts from our sponsors (pinballspareparts.com.au and rtbb.com.au). There is a manual available for download at IPDB (ipdb.org) which should help you out with part numbers.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 08:44:29 AM »
Hi Douggie, well done i reckon, picking up Hot Hand regardless of what you payed, its a great old game in my opinion. I recently bought one myself that needs a fair bit of work that i will get to one day, paid $500 for mine, There's a thread with pics of mine on here somewhere. And yes we've all seen more that our share of butchered and botched up machines, i've had more than my fair share *%*

Lamps hard wired in?? thats a good one! i've never come across that before :lol

Post some pics of your game when you time, i'd like to see it, and im sure others would too

Cheers... mitch

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 09:56:45 AM »

Interesting introduction into the hobby, Douggie. I used to own a Hot Hand and it is a well designed and interesting machine. Typical of Early Sterns, the backglass was flaking at the bottom.

The Knocker is typically missing on these machines, and they are hard to source. They usually have a nylon tip that makes contact with a metal strip screwed into the cabinet. I'll look up the part number tonight (if I remember) !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 11:18:26 PM »
Hi Douggie . Great intro . I believe the part you are referring to in your slingshots that is broken would be the "kicker arm" . It's an L-shaped bracket that attaches to the coil plunger under the playfield and has a nylon head on the other end to "kick" the rubber / ball out . Most of the commercial guys here stock them but you will have to double check compatability / part # with the one from your game .
Cheers,
     Scott.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 08:03:59 PM »
You have probably already done this but, make sure you check the driver transistor for the knocker before you install a new one as I've seen quite a few machines with knockers removed because of blown transistors or burnt coils.
You don't want to put a nice new coil in only to burnt it out once you turn the machine on.

Boots

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 10:05:56 AM »
Hi mate, sounds like you found a perfect project machine, maybe a bit pricey !@#. but enjoy the experience because once you start on project machines thats all you will want to buy.

I think Markc at PSPA was selling complete knocker assemblies
http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/index.php?crn=244&rn=1848&action=show_detail

and the kicker arm
http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/index.php?crn=270&rn=2130&action=show_detail
 looks like its out of stock though.

Ian.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:10:24 AM by 63wizz »

Offline Douggie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 09:35:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments and advice.....today I "finished" Hot Hand, I found an old solenoid in the junkbox which I think came originally from a photocopier!, turned up a new shaft and it works, unsure if the coil resistance is correct but its working at this stage. The steel bumper acutator...that was a bit more difficult, I got the old one out, banged it flat with a hammer and cut a new one out (which is 'sort of" the same shape as the original) of some scrap with a hacksaw and bent it back again...amazingly it works! ,I bet the restoration blokes are vomiting reading this...but at this early stage of my new hobby Im just happy to have a working machine to play on....anyway, got it all back together and after a couple of games the machine locked up and the displays froze, luckily all my electronics knowledge was from the era of this machine and after checking all power supply rails (ok), the next thing to check was the CPU xtal oscillator which was dead, a dry solder joint on one of the crystal legs.

All the best

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 09:44:42 PM »
Great work so far nothing wrong with making up your own parts so long as you can finally have a game ^^^

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 07:46:34 AM »
Good on ya Douggie.  ^^^
I like your creativity  .

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 11:06:54 PM »
Well done Douggie.
I am very warey of ebay. Members of this forum can always assist with with buying and selling.
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.