Author Topic: Its too slow!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 897 times)

Offline Douggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Its too slow!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: August 27, 2010, 05:13:36 PM »
I got a street fighter 2 for a bit of a project, so far Ive cleaned up most things and put a set of shiny new balls in.
The playfield is not damaged, Ive only cleaned it with nifty and a rag at this stage.
The legs are huge....the machine sits much taller than anything else Ive ever seen and all 4 legs are identical.

But...the machine seems to play very slow....the ballls are much slower around the playfield than anything else Ive seen in my (very) limited experience.

At the moment Ive done a highly technical mod, Ive taken the levellers off the front legs and put 2 old hard-disks undeneath each rear leg to give it some angle, its better but still not real good.

Any ideas? Thanks

Offline madness

• Forum Posts:
Re: Its too slow!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 05:32:31 PM »
Yeah,
Get rid of it and buy something better :lol

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 06:29:48 PM »
Sounds like you have the wrong legs which is why it sits really high you may have a set of 31 inch legs.
    As for the speed a goodnpolish and wax may speed it up

Offline Douggie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 06:54:46 PM »
Sounds like you have the wrong legs which is why it sits really high you may have a set of 31 inch legs.
    As for the speed a goodnpolish and wax may speed it up

Thanks, I will buy some wax and see what happens....my young bloke reckons its the flippers, they dont have enough "grunt".....they seem to move ok to me, is this a possibility?

If I chock the back legs up real high, it plays faster but there is no way you can shoot the balls into the ramps etc, if I have the machine levelled normally I can shoot up ramps etc but I reckon I could write a book in the time it takes for the ball to go from top  to bottom.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 07:11:58 PM »

measure the length of the legs , I have a street fighter here and will check them out too
also try cleaning the playfield with Nifti  then give it a good hard polish . we use Novus  and wax   , most recos we do we do this 3 times too
poor ian hates it ..  also check your balls .... make sure they are clean and shinny  not dirty and old ...  waiting for the replies to this line ........ &^&

hope this helps

mark

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 07:48:36 PM »

Street Fighter II has 27 inch legs. The manual will confirm.

It is also one of the faster GTB SYS3 machines - I really enjoyed mine when I owned it. If the flippers have no "grunt" you will need to check that the right coils are fitted, the EOS is gapped and that they move easily by hand. The right ramp shot to the mini playfield should be easily done after a good reconditioning. Playfield polish and wax is the way to go !

Just buy new balls for your game
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Douggie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 09:23:14 PM »
Thanks for all the replys so far.........

Sorry for so many questions, here is what Ive found so far.........

Left and right flipper coils are both marked  A-259-59
Left coil has been butchered and was wrapped up with tape, there appears to be no diode across its terminals (I assume this is for back emf?) but there is one on the right coil.

Left coil resistance is approx 30 ohms from the end to end terminals....right coil is approx 140 ohms.

Voltage accross left coil with flipper held in is 56 volts, accross right is 36 volts (Im guessing this is a slightly high 32volt rail that is marked on the fuse panel?)

The left hand flipper switch appears to be a double pole device, the right hand a single pole....all switches are dirty, both the side cabinet ones and the ones mounted on the solenoids,

My balls are shiny, new and lusterous (Thanks Mark, I got them from you in the post today...I sent you an email letting you know Ive paid and for you to look for a GOOD family guy machine for me)
Thanks

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »

Douggie - Did you get the manual with this machine ?  The correct coils etc will be noted.

Here's a coil chart - http://www.pinballmedic.net/coil_chart.html

Coil resistance does not sound right - You may need to check that the EOS is still connected.

The double switch on the LHS is a "cascade" for the upper flippper.

Here's the Marvin Guide for GTB SYS3 - http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3/index.htm

You will find HEAPS of great info in there. Unfortunately, I don't currently own a SYS3 machine to compare.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 10:16:09 PM »
nel?)
ds,

My balls are shiny, new and lusterous (Thanks Mark, I got them from you in the post today...I sent you an email letting you know Ive paid and for you to look for a GOOD family guy machine for me)
Thanks

LOL

sorry mate been a busy week and with 2 staff away ...
and thanks for payment too then , better read all my emails when i go back to work

thanks

mark

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 11:12:51 PM »
Looks like the coils should be A-25959 (3.85 / 202 ohm) except for the top left one which is A-26646 (4.57 / 201 ohm)
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 11:51:25 PM »
I hope the machine did not come advertised as shopped as it sounds like it definitely isn't. In fact I would classify it as a project machine with all that's wrong with it. I hope you get it working to your liking.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 12:22:44 AM »
I hope the machine did not come advertised as shopped as it sounds like it definitely isn't. In fact I would classify it as a project machine with all that's wrong with it. I hope you get it working to your liking.

Seems to be a lot of junk around lately. OK I suppose if the buyer knows what he's getting and the price reflects that it is a fixer-upper with incorrect legs and dodgy coils!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Douggie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 12:38:47 AM »
Ok...update....first I really appreciate any help, I have an electronics background but new to Pinballs, the electronics side doesnt faze me too much, but the mechanics/specifics are a whole new deal.

I just gave the playfield another clean and put a little silicon spray on a rag and wiped the main bits of the playfield over, Im in the middle of knowhere and have just emailed an order of parts but dead keen to get it going for the kids (and the big kids too)...anyway, there was a huge improvement, It played very well but after the young bloke giving it a 20 min hiding it started to smell and the left hand flipper has siezed up, the solenoid is red hot and Ive just pulled it out, the shaft is jammed inside...I guess I need new coils and the sleeve things.  Also on that coil the diode is missing (the other coils has one and the picture of new one's on MarkC's website clearly show the diode attached).......being impatient I'll try tommorow to un jam the thing and maybe see if I can bodge up a repair until I can get the parts.....

I fixed the car crash thing....when I got the machine there was no ball inside the unit, it cant fall out so its been removed at some stage, the wires to the optocouplers were broken off but luckily when reconnected and some new springs that bit is working a-ok again.

Is there any source of a manual for this unit? Cannot find one on-line

Thanks again

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 12:42:29 AM »
Found a bit of paperwork for you Douggie, check your mail box.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 12:53:08 AM »

Sounds like the EOS was either not gapped or non existent. That coil will now have an internal short within the windings. Typical of a machine that may have been pulled from its route because of these faults.

Definitely a project machine that will need some work, and some patience is required. I would order two new flipper coils and EOS as a bare minimum at this point.