Author Topic: Why do the admins lock a thread when there is no harsh words exchanged?  (Read 482 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Ok first thing i will say i have been pretty happy with the way the mods handle this forum, i don't consider myself a trouble maker and hope i don't come across as one.
I just noticed a thread was locked because a certain person / pinball company was mentioned  but some one had asked a fair question about a certain company / person.
As far as i could see a fair question was asked and the thread was locked before a decent amount of input was entered by members.

I praise all the sponsors, members and moderators of this site and i think they all do a great job in keeping this site alive, but i was not happy that the thread was locked so quickly, as far as i could see there was no abuse or foul posts posted.

When i buy my parts & pins i will always try the site sponsors first and if i cannot get the parts i require from them then with great disappointment (because i have to buy off some one else) i will go elsewhere.

Just recently I ordered some parts off the company that was mentioned because i could not buy anywhere else in the world and if he did not sell them i would have had to pay some non pinball company big $$ to have them custom made.

It was mentioned in the locked thread that i could do my research on another web site but as far as i am concerned I would like to do my research on this great site and not elsewhere.

So please in future could the moderators not close a thread just because the subject is covered elsewhere on the web? I would have understood if harsh words where exchanged and I assume you where trying to avoid this from happening but as far as i could see the topic was a valid one.

Please moderators do not take this personally as i do not wish to be thought of as a trouble maker or a smart ass and will always consider this forum as the only decent pinball forum on the web.

So to the moderators, sponsors and all the members thank you for your attention and keep up the great work.
Regards,
Beaky
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
I am not a fan of censorship, but sometimes the mention of that gentleman can bring out the worst in some people

Maybe the moderator was being overly cautious?
Maybe he wanted to go out for the evening and not sit at his PC monitoring the situation?

I would have done the same thing

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Past experience shows that such threads have broken down into unwelcome words. The mod was short-circuiting that whole process.

It might look hasty, but it does save trouble.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Think youll find Beaky that the thread was closed because of where it was going to go.

Its been thrashed about before on ALL forums and it would have just turned into a slanging post aimed at the PF owner.
It was pretty obvious that poster wanted to talk about  whats was wrong with PF and was pretty keen to instigate a discussion on it. Initial questions were answered very well i thought, but that didnt nip the thread in the bud, so the mods did.

Trust me.. it would have been one ugly thread and would have been a repeat of previous discussions here and everywhere else, thats why the link was posted... read up mate.. it aint pretty.

Those that have been in the firing line of that man ( and there are many on here) have many things to say, none of which would be quite as vicious as the attacks we have incurred from him... we are not prepared to sully this forum with them.
I agree that thread should have been shut down

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
My opinion , it's a great forum keep it going the way it is .Nice work boys.
If the thread has the potential to turn ugly , can it , get rid of it . **& send it on it's merry way .
Keep it Fun ,informative and interesting .
And if it don't suite anyone  <..>
Plenty other forums for that nonsense.

Tony

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
P4M was correct in closing the thread mate: It would have turned to shit!

The horse has been flogged to death and made into glue already... (and not MM cabinet glue either)

IF MARK EVER GETS OFF HIS A**E AND HAS ANOTHER MEET... (Yes boss-man - that's a subtle hint)  !*!

Come down and have a few beers Andrew - the subject will be flogged to death... (without fear of litigation)

Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
pinnies4me was correct in his actions. We as mods fully suport that decision. The other option is leaving it open and having the thread (and forum) turn to shit. We'll leave that to other places on the net as they seem to thrive on that sort of rubbish. What would you prefer?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:12:01 PM by Creech »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

As a mod, I was quick to answer the question with the facts that I know are presented. I SHOULD have locked it, as this topic ALWAYS ends up deteriorating.

It has been discussed for years on other forums and closing the thread was the right thing to do.

I support Pinnie4me's actions.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
I am EXTREMELY grateful that the ONE person in pinball that brings 99% of ALL the trouble is rarely discussed at this forum and I am more than happy that a thread that would have clearly fallen apart within 24 hours was immediatley zipped up.
The original poster asked his questions in way that has, in the past, led to many outbursts that I dont need to highlight again - even I am tiring of it these days and everyone knows my stance / feelings.

Beaky you are a very very helpful person at these forums and not seen as a troublemaker but surely even you know thet this 'gentleman' thrives on creating animosity amongst friends in this otherwise WONDERFUL and helpful community.
Maybe just PM the original thread poster and help him out with some info if you feel you can offer him some good information.

I continue to congratulate the mods here for the way in which this forum is operated and I hope it always continues on the path that it is on  #*#

DW Drums rule !

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
I fell into the trap of asking about the same subject as a noob on the other aussie forum and it turned into a s#!@fight within 10 posts,no doubt after seeing how deep some peoples passion for that man burns,no doubt it could of done the same on this forum.great to see the mods have the wisdom. ^^^

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
no probs, understood, but it would be nice if there could be a discussion on the subject without it turning into a s**t fight.
Hopefully no one was offended by my comments and if anyone was i do apologise.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
P4M was correct in closing the thread mate: It would have turned to shit!

The horse has been flogged to death and made into glue already... (and not MM cabinet glue either)

IF MARK EVER GETS OFF HIS A**E AND HAS ANOTHER MEET... (Yes boss-man - that's a subtle hint)  !*!

Come down and have a few beers Andrew - the subject will be flogged to death... (without fear of litigation)

LOL  yea yea  , you are welcome to organize it ...... 

Offline Damien

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:

im banned on the other forum just because i own half of PSPA..

didnt do anything wrong.. just invested heavily in the industry

so you think this thread closing is unfair..

damien

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
On the other side, every body loves a shitfight.  %%$  You only have to see how many people that are viewing a thread that is controversial. "heaps".
Which are the most popular guy's on TV the goodies or the baddies?  !*!

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
The author of that thread was not just asking questions, the way it was written looked like he just wanted to start yet another slinging match, I support Nicks decision to lock down the thread
If you are interested it that stuff go to RGP. Its mildly amusing the first few times but gets old very quickly. We don't need that sort of shit here as well