Author Topic: Remember to change the batteries  (Read 27945 times)

Online pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Remember to change the batteries
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:46:18 AM »
I change the batteries every Spring, and today changed the AFM and FH, both got new Duracells last Spring, expiry date 2014.

AFM was fine, but FH had quite a bit of corrosion. Didn't look too bad yet, although a fair build up on the IC directly below. Once it was cleaned and back together it booted up, but no response to the test etc switches in the coin door (nor registering coins). Looks like that IC was taken out (it controls that area). This leaking must be less than a few months old as I had the backglass out with El Timbo over here and would have noticed the build up as it was obvious.

As you see, the "once a year" change rule won't save you every time, but it did hopefully confine the damage on this game to just an LM339 chip I hope.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Rod71

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
Re: Remember to change the batteries
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 12:56:43 AM »
Has anyone tried Sony Cycle Energy, or Sanyo Eneloop Rechargable batteries in their games?.  They are really good batteries that hold 80% of thier charge after 12 months even if you dont use them.  Plus they shouldn't leak.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:07:42 AM »
Extra Heavy Duty Duracell Batteries (half black, half goldy colour) are the bees knees.

We use them in the Alarm Industry and they last for 5 years and I have never had a leaky battery ever, even after 5 years in many, many hunreds, if not thousands of alarm detectors. I use them in my pinball machines. Cheap batteries leak, sometimes after just 4 or 5 months. It pays to spend up front.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 11:11:42 AM »
I'm going to convert all my games to super caps when I get time as I'm a shocker for batteries my gorgar has the same batteries in it from when I got it ( how bars that). No leakage and they are the black and gold aswel.

But thanks nick for the reminder I'm going to rip the boards out and super cap it tonight.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 11:22:47 AM »
I always use duracell also.
but i am in the process of fitting remote battery holders to all my pins
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:05:07 PM »
I'm going to convert all my games to super caps when I get time as I'm a shocker for batteries my gorgar has the same batteries in it from when I got it ( how bars that). No leakage and they are the black and gold aswel.

But thanks nick for the reminder I'm going to rip the boards out and super cap it tonight.

Just a word of warning when using super caps and memory backup caps... these too can leak and cause corrosion!! Being a electronics tech by trade i have seen them leak (on one occasion) in electronic equipment and corrode boards (some Sony sound systems and some older VCRs used them). Admittedly it is rare but it CAN happen. My boss just confirmed this for me as well, he too has come across leaky corroding caps and has seen them corrode boards.

So i would be checking these caps from time to time if using them.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 12:07:25 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 08:32:53 PM »
I have had a lot of problems with Duracells leaking, mainly in kids toys but also a few of my things. I do not use them in pinballs anymore for that reason, well actually I never buy them anymore, More leaks than any other mainstream brand I have come across  ^.^

Offline billxixix

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 12:04:12 AM »
i am fitting remote battery holders to all my pins best thing  to do ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Online pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 12:11:36 AM »
i am fitting remote battery holders to all my pins best thing  to do ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Agreed. I've fitted all games except Time Warp as that was with a mate, just got it back so I'll be fitting the remote this weekend.

I've used these -
http://www.futurlec.com/Batteries-Holders.shtml#3XAAHOLDER

The advantage is that 9 volt style connector - makes board removal a breeze - BUT take care, you could touch the connector the wrong way and potentially do damage, so when reconnecting just need some are. If game needs a diode to stop charging (ie doing this to a game that had ni-cads, like an old Gottlieb board) better off with a four battery holder so you can install the diode neatly in the unused spot.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:13:20 AM by pinnies4me »
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 12:21:26 AM »
On reading this post again, i remembered i went to jaycar n bought a dozen remote battery holders to fit to the machines i have without the battery holders a few weeks back. Got to fit them now when time is permitting. They cost me like $2 each from jaycar. Bargain.

It seems that most brands of batterys cant be trusted like Nick (pinnies4me) said. I wonder if the batterys leak quicker when a machine is used alot versus not used much at all over a 12 month period. (meaning hot batteries leak 0r dont leak quicker)  I wonder what the battery companies would say.  !@#

I find only the super heavy duty Duracell black n golds dont leak but the others do.

Board damage is a major pain in the ass after you already changed those batteries out. Glad u caught it in time Nick.  ^^^ Friggin Batteries  ^&^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline m-rots

• Forum Posts:
  • Lara soon
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 02:58:57 AM »
The batteries never been changed in this ''Gorgar'' I pickt up.

Could not makeout what brand battery's they were annymore,there were just 3 coals in there.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:19:55 AM by m-rots »

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 05:40:24 PM »
Most of my machines have the Jaycar - 4 battery remote holders in them with a diode installed as well.  The battery holder typically sits on the backbox frame on Wms machines or I just lengthen the wires so they can sit on the base of the backbox, right away from the boards.  With DE machines I have been putting velcro on the back of the holder and sticking the other part of the velcro which I stick on the wire screen towards the top of the backbox.

I also write the date the batteries were put in the machine with a Sharpie on the batteries themselves.  I try to change batteries every 6 months if possible and then use the batteries which are typically still good in the kids toys so they aren't wasted.  I have also had a battery or two fail inside of 12 months.  I now buy the large pack of Varta batteries from Bunnings - there is 30 batteries for about $9.
Addicted to pins.

Offline pokermachine

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 08:24:14 PM »
Hey all,
Im thinking it is a priority for a remote battery holder to be installed on my williams whitewater but i am unsure if i need a diode or not does anyone know?
Otherwise the 3 pack holder with alligator clips so no soldering required seems like a good option unless someone thinks this is a bad idea and soldering is the only way to go...... would hate to stuff up the board removing and installing old one!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:27:37 PM by pokermachine »

Offline pokermachine

• Forum Posts:

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 08:36:13 PM »
Hey all,
Im thinking it is a priority for a remote battery holder to be installed on my williams whitewater but i am unsure if i need a diode or not does anyone know?
Otherwise the 3 pack holder with alligator clips so no soldering required seems like a good option unless someone thinks this is a bad idea and soldering is the only way to go...... would hate to stuff up the board removing and installing old one!!

You don't need a diode - it was a suggestion by Clay on the pinball repair site that the 'most common' battery holder was a 4 cell one - so you could put 3 cells in and add a diode in the 4th cell position which reduces the supplied backup voltage by 0.6V meaning that you will/might get an earlier warning that the batteries are failing.

Personally I don't subscribe to the diode idea. 3 cells mounted remotely is fine IMO.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals