Author Topic: Nickel plating Pinball parts  (Read 4793 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Nickle plating Pinball parts
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 11:18:56 PM »
The $100 for the plating kit seems like a bargain. At that price, it makes no sense taking the parts anywhere to get them professionally done when u can do it yourself over a 40 minute period at home with that kit.

If ya only have one machine, it seems like the way to go. Or if have a dozen machines, its a even better kit to buy.  ^^^

Not everyone will want to play with the chemical, but for a few bits n pieces here n there, get Beaky to do them if ya dont want to buy the kit.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 11:20:43 PM »
Looks great - Was thinking of getting some Re-chrome ing  done, but looking at this has changed my mind - might have a go myself.
PS, A guy came into work last week looking for some MOLASSIS, I asked him what he wanted it for,apparently he restores old cars, adds the molassis with a pint of water and soaks his rusty parts in it to remove the rust -reckons it works. Anybody heard of this ?
pinballaustralia.com

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 11:25:17 PM »
Yeah millay molasses is great for rust removal I berthed guy read the last street fodder magazine there was an article in that I'll see if I can find it an get you a copy

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 11:33:11 PM »

The nickel kit is $255 - includes everything you need to setup ;

http://www.janekits.com.au/prices.php

Is that the setup you have, Beaky ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 11:37:41 PM »
I'm very tempted to get a set how good would everything look nickel plated.

Reminds me of the movie 2000 miles to graceland.

The man with the nickel plating makes the rules lol

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 11:44:07 PM »

I'm considering it. If it does cost $255, I don't think it is that much - you can do your own zinc / nickel plating and learn another skill..  $#$

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 11:46:55 PM »

Is the ELECTROLESS NICKEL just as good ? $100
pinballaustralia.com

Offline shansta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 12:17:32 AM »

I'm considering it. If it does cost $255, I don't think it is that much - you can do your own zinc / nickel plating and learn another skill..  $#$

The Cobalt one sounds like the go? (Said somewhere it's the closest finish to "true" chroming?)

- Dual Kit Nickel/Cobalt/Zinc (4 Lt)       $ 330.00      (Still not that much IMO)

Hmmm - shiny ball guides again.... Sexy!  *%* *%* *%*
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline vinito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 02:09:53 AM »
Is nickel plating the same as chrome?

I'll throw in what I think I know.
First, this may or may not be totally true, but I'm sure at least some of it is correct. I looked into having things chromed a few years back for some parts I machined that needed chrome plating.
Also, used to repair/restore wind instruments and had several things plated with various platings back in the day.

Regarding chrome, what I understand is:
The chemicals required are apparently very toxic or regulated or whatever, so many local shops that used to do it couldn't keep up with the government requirements (here in the USA anyway) and there are many fewer shops doing it now than there used to be a few decades ago. If that is true, home-done chrome may take more to do than the average guy may want to get into. However, there is usually a local auto bumper shop which will take in small chroming jobs for a pretty reasonable cost. You'd just want to do your own prep (polish to a mirror finish) so you don't have to pay them to do it. That's the time-consuming part anyway.

Chrome plating is two steps. It gets nickel plated first, then chrome over that. Maybe pinball parts can be nickel plated at home, then just pay the outside shop to apply chrome only. Two advantages here might be that you can see exactly how well you did your polishing and re-do missed pits and such, plate again and have it chromed only once you're completely satisfied. The other is that you may save some money since the shop wouldn't need to nickel plate first.

Another factoid is that the shape of the part can affect how well it will chrome plate. Nickel doesn't seem to have this problem, but apparently due to current flow in the process, inside corners cause some kind of electro-magnetic interference and it won't take the plating. Thus the inside corners will show the nickel plating underneath and blend out to the chrome about an inch or so away from the corner. The nickel looks yellow-ish right next to the chrome so it's fairly obvious at the blend if you're looking. Luckily for pinball parts, the inside corners tend to be the hidden part and will still look fine. However, this does likely preclude the worthiness of chrome plating parts such as what was pictured earlier - many areas of a part with all those right angles would be only partially chromed (of course the nickel would be fully plated underneath though). There may or may not be techniques and ways around this, but the average bumper shop will probably not want to deal with it. Besides, nickel looks pretty darn good too, so personally I'd just stick with that for parts that don't get seen and/or handled. Legs, lock bars, side rails and various external hardware (bolts, etc.) are good candidates for chroming.

The main thing to know has already been mentioned. Your part will look pretty much exactly the same coming out as it does going in other than the surface color. So it needs to be as mirror-smooth as you want it and can make it before plating. Buffing is a little dirty, but it's kind of fun & easy and a very handy skill to have. For steel, you'll want just the more aggressive buffing compounds (emory & tripoly for example). The finer compounds (rouges) like you'd use on brass or aluminum won't touch steel so they are just a waste of time. And of course the buffing is a waste of time unless you smooth out any pits, deep scratches, etc. first with a belt sander or whatever, using progressively finer grades as you go. Just like finishing wood, except (here's a tip) alternate directons between grades so you can more easily see that you've smoothed out the lines created by the previous (courser) grade. After proper sanding, you'll be amazed by how easy it is to buff steel so it shines like a saxophone.

Pretty neat Beaky. That looks great and takes things perfectly just a little-too-far. Good on you for pushing the envelope.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:16:29 AM by vinito »
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: Nickel plating Pinball parts
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 04:22:04 AM »

Nino and milsy
I bought the electroless Nickel Plating
I have been busy plating all day.
I stopped and had a break, and then i decided to polish a couple of Items on the buffer. BIG MISTAKE (well not really) the parts came up so shiny I am now going to have to buff all of the parts.
Its a pitty that pinball parts are so pitted, I could linish them first but i would have to remove so much metal that the parts would become to thin
here is another before pic followed by a few after pics.
the first photo shows the parts with the zinc plating and rust removed (raw metal)
the others show them after plating and buffing.
any one need a new mirror?  &&
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:58:20 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 04:37:02 AM »
Is nickel plating the same as chrome?

Pretty neat Beaky. That looks great and takes things perfectly just a little-too-far. Good on you for pushing the envelope.

Thanks Vinito
but as far as the too far goes, I was stuck with a pin that had every part corroded, so i had 2 choices, paint all the parts and within a few months of playing have the paint wear off were the ball runs across the parts of plate it.
at first i was going to take all my parts to a factory, pay a huge amount of cash and have them done with the chance that a may not get all the parts back due to some getting lost.
or do the job myself.
at first i was going to zinc plate them then i came across the cheaper process of electoless nickle plating.

But yes it is a little too far.

If all the parts didn't need doing then i would have done what i usually do, just clean them and then tumble them.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:58:42 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 10:34:38 AM »
Of all the plating you have done so far Beaky, how do you think these parts would come up. The rechromed early coin doors available now seem too shiny compared to the early chroming (60's) origional doors, Would the nickel plating give it the original look. Most of these parts are off a 66 Bally Bazaar.
Millsy
pinballaustralia.com

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 10:40:59 AM »
Beaky - parts look AWESOME!! Thanks for posting the info on such a setup - i generally send all parts out for plating, but spend the week/weeks stressing assys are going to go missing etc.

Small price to pay for peace of mind, and an AMAZING end result!

Well done man,

Timbo

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: Nickel plating Pinball parts
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 11:01:03 AM »
Milsy
It should come up ok except for were the rust / corrosion is.
any pitting or dints will show up in the final finish.
as vinito said "Your part will look pretty much exactly the same coming out as it does going in other than the surface color."

Vinitos post explains it all

Also, thanks el_timbo

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:59:07 PM by beaky »

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 01:05:35 PM »

An even cheaper option. Beaky - the results speak for themselves.

Did you purchase the "JANECLEAN" product as well ? It cleans and removes the old plating - or did you just remove the old plating with a wire brush etc ?