Author Topic: Nickel plating Pinball parts  (Read 4803 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: Nickel plating Pinball parts
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 02:22:56 PM »

An even cheaper option. Beaky - the results speak for themselves.

Did you purchase the "JANECLEAN" product as well ? It cleans and removes the old plating - or did you just remove the old plating with a wire brush etc ?

I found soaking in ranex removed 99% of the old plating. I had a couple of litres of new hydrochloric acid which i made a pickle solution with the acid & rain water. (the directions for this come with the nickle plating solution) and used dishwashing liquid in rain water to remove any oils off the metal.
you do not have to use the janewash soulution if you dont want to. all of the alternative ways to prep your metal is in the book that comes with the solution.

I did buy the thermometer that he sells on his web site, its small but of good quality.

Also the bloke who runs the buisness is always happy to provide any help via phone or email.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:59:29 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Nickle plating Pinball parts
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 02:39:09 PM »
Re CHROMED PARTS VERSUS NICKLE PLATING

A professionally CHROMED finish is nothing like nickle plating, CHROME is 5 times shiny'er and has many more processes than just nickle plating.

I have had many parts professionally chromed and the process is very indepth, and something I do not believe anyone could do at home.
If u have watched a professional chroming things (and the long dozen step process with all the DIFFERENT chemicals) and the process is tedious.

Nickle plating is nothing like CHROME, but nickel plating polished does look nicer than any zinc plating.

Also, polishing anything to a mirror finish, then giving it to a chrome shop is a waste of time. Watch them stick it in a nasty toxic soloution and watch the metal change colour and u will know what i mean.
Also, after the final chroming finish has been applied to the metal piece u are doing, the professional puts the item on a buffing wheel, with all different attachments to make it mirror shine. Chroming is a very very labour intensive/chemical process which I feel can only be done by a professional who knows what he is doing.

The $100 nickle plating kit Andy has bought is great, but do not think it will make a part look anything like a chrome product, cause it wont come close. Its a different kettle of fish altogether. The larger the object, the more of a visual difference u will see between polished nickle plating n chrome.

P.S - I reccommend Gold Coast Electroplating Services, cnr Brisbane Roads and Captain Cook Drive, ARUNDEL - GOLD COAST. for all professional Chrome work.The gent who runs the place, owns the place and has been there for over 30 years. He is a top bloke and his pricing is very very good.
example - set 4 legs $100. Lockdown bar $50 large side rails apx $40 each and so on. Question - is it really worth paying the money mentioned to have something professionally chromed, if you want the bling of bling, the answer is absolutely. I have a Freddy - A Nightmare on Elm Street Pinball machine that has been done here, and it is amzing. Nothing even comes close to the wow factor of chrome done properly.  ^^^
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:00:46 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 02:41:10 PM »

Ranex - I've been through MANY bottles - I love the stuff !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 03:09:21 PM »
Hate to be picky Beaky(and others), but the correct spelling of "Nickle" is NICKEL. #@# *%*
Don't worry though, I still reckon you're a legend!

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 03:16:18 PM »
A picture of an American coin (nickle ?) will be uploaded shortly.

Actually, I have some American Quarters here, I will see if "Beaky the Plater" can make them look like new when he arrives shortly cause we are going down to Bunnings to get some "plating supplies".

If you see a man walking around the Gold Coast, wearing nothing but silver, it will be "Beaky the Nickel Plater Man". lol  $#$  %.% %.% %.%

Ssssshhhhhhhh, Beakys at the door, I better get off the computer before he reads this and decides to can the Bunnings trip for more silver paint. lol

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 03:24:31 PM »
...If you see a man walking around the Gold Coast, wearing nothing but silver, it will be "Beaky the Nickel Plater Man". lol  $#$  %.% %.% %.%

:lol :lol :lol

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 06:47:08 PM »
here is a picture of Andrew getting into the silver nickel plating.

this is how he turned up to go to Bunnings.  %.% %.%

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2010, 06:53:03 PM »
Hate to be picky Beaky(and others), but the correct spelling of "Nickle" is NICKEL. #@# *%*
Don't worry though, I still reckon you're a legend!
We like saying nick - ley :lol
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:00:03 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Dutchy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tassie
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 08:34:10 PM »
Thanks for posting that Beaky, never thought it would be possible to do that at home (at that price).
I'm keen to give it a go.  ^^^

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 11:21:10 PM »
Wow, what a great idea.
The new nickel plated bits look great!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't a lot of pinnie parts already nickel plated instead of chrome?
I thought that my Diner lockdown bar was nickel plated.
I was told Williams did this as a cost cutting measure but I can't remember who told me.
Is this right?
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2010, 12:14:15 AM »
Wow, what a great idea.
The new nickel plated bits look great!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't a lot of pinnie parts already nickel plated instead of chrome?
I thought that my Diner lockdown bar was nickel plated.
I was told Williams did this as a cost cutting measure but I can't remember who told me.
Is this right?
I have not got any proof of it but I would agree that they are not chrome plated (the lock down bar, side rails & legs)
I have seen a pin with proper chrome plated parts and its a totally different look

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2010, 12:24:17 AM »
Shiny Chrome - Save it for youre Harley.
Im my opinion shiny chrome stands out like dogs ba..s,  looks out of place on early pins (60's & 70's) *.*
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »
Anything DMD that has a factory silver lockdown bar, a set of silver legs and a set of silver rails, looks 1 million percent better when the silver all gets chromed professionally.

It really makes the pin look like a million bux.  I have a Freddy Nightmare Elm Street pinny I did, and the "WOW" factor is huge.

After seeing one done like this, you wouldnt leave anything near it undone and boring silver. Different tastes, different looks.  ^^^

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2010, 01:18:30 PM »
Anything DMD that has a factory silver lockdown bar, a set of silver legs and a set of silver rails, looks 1 million percent better when the silver all gets chromed professionally.

It really makes the pin look like a million bux.  I have a Freddy Nightmare Elm Street pinny I did, and the "WOW" factor is huge.

After seeing one done like this, you wouldnt leave anything near it undone and boring silver. Different tastes, different looks.  ^^^

I've done a couple pins in chrome

Doesn't work for me. I went back to stainless.

Couple reasons

1) fingerprints
2) stands out too much

Nothing like a row of a dozen pins with 1 chrome pin that doesn't match the others :)

To each his own :)

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2010, 11:32:28 PM »
I've done a couple pins in chrome

Doesn't work for me. I went back to stainless.

Couple reasons

1) fingerprints
2) stands out too much

Nothing like a row of a dozen pins with 1 chrome pin that doesn't match the others :)

To each his own :)

Methinks Brett is a very fussy boy - he would be like a pig in shit, running around the Treasure-Cave with a glitz cloth...  <.>

I'm not getting into the chrome vs nickel thing, but for $2-300 investment - I think the results are very tasty!  ^^^
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...