Author Topic: Convert power from 120v to 240v  (Read 335 times)

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Convert power from 120v to 240v
« on: September 30, 2010, 07:58:50 PM »
Guys,

Can someone advise me on how to convert a Gorgar and Flash from 120V to 240V ?

Jeff

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Convert power from 120v to 240v
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 08:37:02 PM »
Jeff,

There will be a few things that need to be changed...

The main AC fuse which would have been a 7.5amp must be changed to a 4amp.
The main AC varistor must be changed to a 275v one (or it'll go bang!)..

http://www.firepowerpinball.com/downloads/PowerWiring.pdf

A jumper wire needs to be installed AFAIK between pins 2 & 5 and the old jumpers removed.

I have some spare varistors and if you get stuck I can do it for you Saturday morning..

Its a good idea once you've unpacked the machines to do a very good visual inspection of the existing cord, and all wiring to coils and plugs and ensure the boards havn't worked themselves loose either!.

Hopefully one of the guys with either machine can quickly check to make sure I'm on the right track.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 08:51:04 PM by MartyJ »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 08:53:06 PM »
Hi Jeff.  Flash may not have the plug for the jumpers so the jumpers may need to be made directly on the transformer

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 01:38:05 PM »

I think it is all done on the transformer. I have a transformer jumpered correctly in storage - I can take a look for you.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline FirePower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 09:55:31 PM »

I think it is all done on the transformer. <snip>

No, not all at the transformer. From the evidence of the machines I have, it depends on the age of the machine. Earlier versions are jumpered on the transformer, later versions have the jumpering moved to the plugs.  Examine the power connector between the cabinet and head - later versions have a six pin plug and the wiring is as in the link Marty posted. I have this on Firepower, Gorgar and Timewarp.  Earlier versions have a three pin connector, with just two wires used, between the cabinet and the head and in this case the jumpering is done on the transformer.  I have this on Flash and World Cup.

In both cases what you are doing is putting two primary windings in series for the 240V wiring and for the 110V these winding are put in parallel.

If you can't follow hat's going on then get someone who does understand to assist.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 08:34:12 PM »

No, not all at the transformer. From the evidence of the machines I have, it depends on the age of the machine. Earlier versions are jumpered on the transformer, later versions have the jumpering moved to the plugs.  Examine the power connector between the cabinet and head - later versions have a six pin plug and the wiring is as in the link Marty posted. I have this on Firepower, Gorgar and Timewarp.  Earlier versions have a three pin connector, with just two wires used, between the cabinet and the head and in this case the jumpering is done on the transformer.  I have this on Flash and World Cup.

In both cases what you are doing is putting two primary windings in series for the 240V wiring and for the 110V these winding are put in parallel.

If you can't follow hat's going on then get someone who does understand to assist.

We sorted it today.  You were 100% on the money.  Gorgar was jumpered at the plug - nice and easy.  Flash was jumpering at the transformer.  Both checked and now powering up.