Author Topic: Bally 1965 Aces High Restoration  (Read 11313 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Bally 1965 Aces High Restoration
« on: October 18, 2010, 12:01:42 AM »

I've finally finished reconditioning several Video machines and it is time to move on to what I love the most - Pinball restoration !

A gem of a machine has been picked out - Bally "Aces High" - Produced in August 1965. This is the oldest titles from my EM/SS Container last year. I'm starting from the beginning ! I also have to restore a Bally "Star Jet" from around the same period. The MAJOR difference is that "Star Jet" is a two player title - and one of the first "multi Ball" games ever made, and "Aces High" is a four player. The Score motor is missing from the Star Jet, but they share the same motor (different Cams) - So I'm HOPING I can get the Aces High running and them use it as a reference for the Star Jet.

Objective

To restore the game to a working condition with as many replacement parts as possible. Cabinet will not be repainted, backglass is EXCELLENT for its age and the playfield is very good.

Condition

Playfield 7/10 - Dirty, with some wear around the flippers, but not directly caused by the flippers. The wear is above the flipper area. I suspect this was caused by the ball bouncing off the flippers. My contact or mylar. Plastics are intact and unbroken.

Backglass 9/10 - WOW - No lift, peel or scratches. A real find !

Cabinet - 8/10 - NICE - No need to repaint. Original and in excellent condition

Electrical - 5/10 - Needs major work. The score motor is seized, and there is a lot of work that needs to be done.

Initial pictures

I anticipate that this restore will take a lot longer due to the fact that there is a lot of rework required. The game itself looks to be stored in a dry location for many years. It has the typical EM smell and luckily is void of the typical corrosive and damp smell of machine stored for significant periods of time. I'll guess at least 50 hours. But I'm keenly looking forward to this restore, and it will be restored in conjunction with the Star Jet and a couple of other titles.

So starts the journey !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
Re: Bally 1965 Aces High Restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 12:27:42 AM »
Love the 60's Ballys
Keep the updates coming.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 07:26:29 AM »
Great challenge ahead Nino.
Look forward to the progress posts.

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 09:45:03 AM »
Really looking forward to this Nino . How lucky are you to have a 1965 BG in that condition  *%*
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 10:13:45 AM »
Looks like a good starting point Nino and the backglass does look awsome.   Enjoy that smell

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 10:15:46 AM »
Really looking forward to this Nino . How lucky are you to have a 1965 BG in that condition  *%*

One small scratch, which will be touched up. The machines were hand picked, so most of them are as good if not better ! I'm really happy with the overall condition. I think the most time will be spent in the around the score motor and reset section. All the fuse holders are weak and brittle. It did fire up, but obviously would not properly reset due to the score motor not turning.

Will be a fun restore. Planning in my head as we speak !

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 03:09:36 PM »
Nice, look forward to following your restoration  *%*

Offline Bennyfactor

• Forum Posts:
  • Butler, Perth
  • Soon, soon...
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 03:21:41 PM »
I'll be watching with great interest
i love old school restores =)

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 12:24:09 PM »
Wow Nino that looks nice-didn't really know Multi-ball started that early be interested to see this one come along. I better not annoy you for a while ^&^

Peter

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 07:05:42 PM »
Multiball.... How far do you want to go back??

Like right back to the VERY first???

Read up on this... is pretty cool!

DUDLEY CLARK Co 1934 - LIVE POWER
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=LIVE+POWER&sortby=name&searchtype=quick#1463

OR..... The first REALLY recognised multiball game

BALLY 1956 - BALLS A POPPIN
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=balls+a+poppin&searchtype=quick#144

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 10:07:29 PM »

First session on the Aces High.

I removed the playfield glass and had a look under the hood. Not too bad - But the rust was the first thing I noticed. Thankfully, it is mainly on the body parts and not on any mechanisms. Score motor is seized and will have to be stripped and rebuilt. I'm hoping the motor is ok, althouhj I have a boxful of potential replacements if needed. The inside of the cab is filthy. All parts are intact - nothing is missing.

First thing to do is remove all the fuses so I don't get tempted to power it on. I ended up just cutting the power cord off ! The baseboard is complete and all the placards etc are present. Luckily, I have the full set of paperwork for this machine. I did find the original "goody envelope" - and it was full of interesting pieces of history (more on that later). Here's a picture of the complete baseboard;

Here's the playfield glass removed to reveal a clean playfield. Notice the wear above the flippers. Plastics are intact. Overall, it looks to be a simple game, but being a card game, it will have appeal. Very pleased with the condition of the playfield for a machine of this vintage.

I've removed the baseboard from the game. This is where I want to start. I'll initially start on the score motor and get it working. Then the banks of relays. All contacts will have to be cleaned, adjusted (if needed) and rebuilt (if needed). I'm really itching to get started !

Updates may slow down a little as I'm going to be building a new benchtop this weekend !

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 10:33:40 PM »
Now the fun starts  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 01:30:56 AM »
Multiball.... How far do you want to go back??

Like right back to the VERY first???

Read up on this... is pretty cool!

DUDLEY CLARK Co 1934 - LIVE POWER
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=LIVE+POWER&sortby=name&searchtype=quick#1463

OR..... The first REALLY recognised multiball game

BALLY 1956 - BALLS A POPPIN
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=balls+a+poppin&searchtype=quick#144

Wow that's interesting about Multiball I suppose with the older games it just scored one ball at a time apposed to Solid state that had the ability to score as each ball hit a switch-I will check the history tommorow.

It always amazes me under the hood of an EM all those relays and contacts real scary :D for me

Peter

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 11:18:22 PM »

Here's the plan ;

Scoremotor is siezed. There's YEARS of solidified grease and other lubricants that has binded the motor and gearbox.I'm not even going to force it. So I decided to completely strip it and bathe it in degreaser. If I cannot get the score motor to work then I'm in trouble !

All switch stacks are removed and clearly labelled. Obviously I've taken a few pictures before starting. THe score motor assembly is finally removed. I've cleaned it with an old paintbrush and degreaser. I was careful not to submerse the motor, just wash the gearbox in an old ice-cream container. When I'm done, use compressed air to clean out any residue. Then I clean the assembly with Isocol. I used compressed air to completely remove any trace of liquid. A couple of DROPS of machine oil (3 in 1) on the shafts - NOT ON THE COGS - they don't need any lubricant and NO GREASE !

After this step is complete, the gearbox moves freely - it is no longer sized. The ONLY problem I have is that the Cam will not prize off the gearbox. So the idea of using this motor in the Star Jet - is a mute point - cannot be done.

Here is a picture of the assembly post cleaning ;

A HUGE improvement. If the score motor does not work - then the game cannot be restored in woring order. The plan is now to move ahead and test the 60VAC to this motor to ensure that it works 100%. Before I do that, I want to re install the assembly back into the baseboard, as the motor needs the "load" created by the friction of the switch stacks.

Now here is an important tip. When removing the switch stacks off a score motor assembly - you need a "system" to record what goes where. A digital camera is a great tool, but in some score motor assemblies, there are FOUR levels of stacks ! So you "peel" away at each stack and use some masking tape to label and record where each stack resides. Some stacks are divided - so use a piece of cardboard (or similar) to simulate the position on the assembly where the stack is separated.

I wrap masking tape around a stack so I don't lose any hardware and I can write the position of the stack. Here's an example ;

"3 TOP 2" = the topmost stack in between motor position "2" and "3" on the assembly"

I've NEVER had an issue with this simple method. There are four positions, and four levels (max) that can reside on an assembly. Each machine will be different, but if you apply this logic - you can confidently rebuild a score motor.

More pictures - I've installed the lowel level of stacks, and I'm starting on the second level (from the top)

As I build the levels - I tighten the stacks. The closest screw to the contacts should be slightly tighter. Clean each set of contacts with a flextone file. Check the "Action" of the switch. Look for any loose wires.

The Baseboard

I like to "section off" the baseboard. That way, it is not so daunting. I've started with the score motor assembly area. Before I start, I cblow away all the dust and crap with compressed air. I then clean with a dry rag, and then I spray on some "Mr Sheen" on a rag and clean the wooden area. It will look a LOT better - takes no time at all !

I also clean the jones plug sockets and look for anything loose that needs attention ;

The fuse block HAS to go. The fuse clips are (literally), older than I am. I also will be re wiring a new power cable, so ALL fuse clips will be replaced with a more modern alternative;

Hopefully I will have the new cable, plug, fuse holders and anything else replaced so that I can apply power to the Score Motor and test this machine !

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 11:30:12 AM »
This one should be interesting - I can see the appeal of the EMs even though I am a bigger fan of SS and DMD, and this one looks like it could be a worthwhile player when finished.