Author Topic: DE Hook Machine  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
DE Hook Machine
« on: October 28, 2010, 10:21:58 AM »
Guys,

Further to my DE cabinet wanted thread http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=5481.0

I know the easy answer to this machine is to part it out but I'm up for a challenge and the price was right so here we go.

I found this machine out the back of a factory, under an awning and obviously open to the weather.  Why was it there, "oh I couldn't get the flippers to work".  I have no doubt that this as actually a nice machine prior to it being banished outside.  (Have a look through the pics where the backbox is up and you can see what the cabinet was like where it was protected by the backbox bracket when it was laying down.)

Pics here - http://s479.photobucket.com/albums/rr153/Talby671/Hook/

Two flipper coils and two fuses later, the machine fires up and starts a game - flippers don't work - flipper board transistors are shot.  A quick clean and apart from the exterior of the cabinet it surprisingly doesn't look too bad.  Boards look excellent, display works 100%, plastics are all good and there are some very minor cracks in some ramps.

It came with a repro translite but no translite glass or trim.  Bonus was a topper and manual inside the cabinet along with some empty stubbies - looks like the guy tried to fix the machines over a couple of beers and 7 stubbies later called it quits on the machine.

So if anyone has or knows of a Hook cabinet laying around anywhere I would be interested.

Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: DE Hook Machine
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 12:33:18 PM »

Looks like it was also used as an Eski at some stage  :D

Kudos for restoring this machine. I'm glad it is not being parted out. It will keep you busy for quite some time.

Nice to see the machine power up. So there's no board damage etc - great start.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »
Oh well the flippers don't work let just throw it outside !@#.      Peoples way of thinking cracks me up but it's a bonus for you.    Good luck on the search for a cabinet

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 01:39:34 PM »
Dam Dam Dam, I just threw out 3 x data east cabinets to the tip.

Ring Rob from Bikecity, as he often has empty cabinets for sale for around $50 each. I purchased 3 x cabinets from him for some projects but decided the spare cabinets took up too much room and I got rid of them.  Rob from Bikecity or Mark C is your best bet. Hope it helps.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:32:32 PM »
Dam Dam Dam, I just threw out 3 x data east cabinets to the tip.

Ring Rob from Bikecity, as he often has empty cabinets for sale for around $50 each. I purchased 3 x cabinets from him for some projects but decided the spare cabinets took up too much room and I got rid of them.  Rob from Bikecity or Mark C is your best bet. Hope it helps.  ^^^

No worries mate, I am kicking myself that I didn't buy some of them when they were on eBay as well.

The Hook machine is ALIVE.  Got the flippers working today after changing a few transistors on the flipper board, replaced two fuses holders, installed 2 x flipper coils that I had laying aorund and the machine is very very playable.  Need a few switch adjustments here and there, outhole kicker plunger, couple of coil stops and a spring washer and hopefully that will be majority of stuff.  There are a few lights out which hopefully I can sort out easily enough.  

Here is a bit of an idea what was under the grunge.  I am about 2/3 of the way through a quick strip and clean.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:38:20 PM by Pintoxicated »
Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 09:49:43 PM »

I think it will clean up real  nice  ^^^

Fuse Clips on Data East - Replace ALL of them on all boards. They are always nearly brittle, and when you replace a fuse, the tabs can sometimes break off !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 10:23:33 PM »
Great find, playfield looks to be in great condition

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 10:37:06 PM »
Great work sinking your teeth into this one!

This is on my pinball wish list, simply for the art package. I think the playfield is beautiful, and captures the imagery from the film very well. Lovely colours etc.

Looking forward to the restoration.

Timbo

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 11:20:17 PM »
Quick update.....

This has turned out to be more of a cleaning project than a restoration.  Compared to what some guys can do with artwork and the like, this doesn't come close really.  All it is, is a realisation and a punt that under years of dirt and neglect, there is a viable machine waiting to be brought back to life.

The playfield has had as much done to it as I am going to do for now, so far I have only touched the top of the playfield, stripping and cleaning as I worked my way around the playfield.  Still plenty to do under the playfield and I will hopefully sort out a few light issues in due course.

It plays better than I thought it would and is much quicker than I was expecting.  A flipper re-build to come will only improve things as well. 

If anyone knows of any Hook ramps, translite or translite glass floating around please let me know. 

Playfield Cleaning Finished.

Addicted to pins.

Offline Redback

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 08:18:16 AM »
Wow,

Coming alone nice,

Red
Found hobby, now need coin

Marty Machine

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 11:48:42 AM »
Have you seen this HOOK pinny for sale $1600....maybe good for some extra parts?????

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=5505.0

MM.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 05:42:39 PM »
Have you seen this HOOK pinny for sale $1600....maybe good for some extra parts?????

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=5505.0

MM.

I think it would probably work out the other way around, there might be some good bits and pieces to pinch off my machine.   
I am sure that Oscar's machine would poo all over my poor old thing.   %.%
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 05:45:52 PM by Pintoxicated »
Addicted to pins.

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 10:35:39 AM »
Looks a hell of lot better than what you started with!  ^^^
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 08:21:45 PM »
An issue that was bugging the crap out of me is fixed.  Both of the skull's eyes are now working.   $#$
Turned out to be a dead diode on the globe socket.

Addicted to pins.

Offline jamjampin

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 12:02:52 PM »
Nice job!
Hook is one of my personal favourites.

I've just got my hands on one and have a question about changing the globes on the pop bumpers. The left one has some white small clips that seem to hold the tree top on place. How do you take them off?
Is it a case of pinching them together? Didn't want to force and snap anything :(

Cheers

James