Author Topic: Gottlieb 'Pro Football' Restore  (Read 731 times)

Offline oldpins

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
Gottlieb 'Pro Football' Restore
« on: October 31, 2010, 06:27:56 PM »
Hi all, I have had this machine for well over 12 months and finally all is coming together after all sorts of electrical problems where previous owners mad it hell for me by wiring incorrectly and trouble shooting was a nightmare. The  bonus was that the PF had been worked on and a full mylar was applied. The BB (Wedgehead) was beyond repair and I have made a new one from scratch, using a 9mm MDF back cover instead of the original metal.
After designing the artwork with CAD software, I decided to cut stencils using a vinyl cutter I own and using a sign mask product spray the cabinet. What a disaster !  @.@ The spray gun was playing up initially and when removing parts of the stencil, paint came with it. I spent the whole weekend putting this all together and decided to start all over again. It took me another 2 hours to sand off the artwork and repaint the whole cabinet and BB again.
My plan was to then use adhesive vinyl which I have done once before on a Gottlieb 'Top Score'. Looking at the finished product I beleive vinyl works better for me and the artwork looks sharp. More pictures shortly.

Greg

Offline oldpins

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
Re: Gottlieb 'Pro Football' Restore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 06:42:02 PM »
Here's a few more pics! All the completed artwork is vinyl not paint.

Greg
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 06:50:50 PM by oldpins »

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 07:30:07 PM »
Looks great a few more pictures of the playfield would be nice looks to be in fantastic shape

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 09:02:59 PM »
Looks cool Greg.  ()

Q. Are your side rails polished to a mirror finish or grained?

Shane.
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline oldpins

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 08:01:40 AM »
Shane, the side rails are original and grained. I have only cleaned them up, however still a few minor marks and scratches. I have a new door & coin entrance to be fitted and plan on installing new legs (31""). Faza I'll get a few more pics of the playfield. The backglass needs some minor work.

Greg

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 11:09:19 AM »
Mine are mirror polished - have to get out the scourer...  !*!

Noticed you are not doing the black webbing on the white paint? (Looks cleaner though!)
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 07:22:01 PM »
Very Nice work Greg . Game looks great  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 02:10:29 PM »

Now that's a nice paint job.

I'm curious about the method you have used, which is new to me. What exactly is "sign mask product" ? Is it a type of paint ? This paint lifted with the stencil removal. What did you change the second time around - Results are amazing !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline oldpins

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 04:33:36 PM »

I'm curious about the method you have used, which is new to me. What exactly is "sign mask product" ? Is it a type of paint ? This paint lifted with the stencil removal. What did you change the second time around - Results are amazing !
Sign mask is product used to make stencils (this is the light blue masking I have machine cut, visible in the pics before painting) and available from sign making supply companies. It is in low tack, however getting ready to paint the 2nd colour (blue) I have placed it over the first colour (Red) possibly before the paint had time to harden and when dry peeled paint off with it. Cheesed !!!! with the result, I started again this time using adhesive vinyl. The final artwork you can see is coloured vinyl, not paint. The cabinet vinyl was not put on in one run, instead a piece at a time (less cost), however the backbox artwork was grouped (red then blue).
The vinyl can be applied simply by taking accurate measurements of original artwork & transferring them onto the cabinet &/or back box. The vinyl used is 5-7 year rated for exterior use, so should last for quite some time.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 04:46:33 PM »
Great result shame about the first attempt but you nailed it that time.     

I'm rally liking the look of no webbing makes the cabinet look so much cleaner

GREAT JOB ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 10:08:36 PM »

Sign mask is product used to make stencils (this is the light blue masking I have machine cut, visible in the pics before painting) and available from sign making supply companies. It is in low tack, however getting ready to paint the 2nd colour (blue) I have placed it over the first colour (Red) possibly before the paint had time to harden and when dry peeled paint off with it. Cheesed !!!! with the result, I started again this time using adhesive vinyl. The final artwork you can see is coloured vinyl, not paint. The cabinet vinyl was not put on in one run, instead a piece at a time (less cost), however the backbox artwork was grouped (red then blue).
The vinyl can be applied simply by taking accurate measurements of original artwork & transferring them onto the cabinet &/or back box. The vinyl used is 5-7 year rated for exterior use, so should last for quite some time.

Really interesting method, but obviously it worked out well and looks fantastic !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 10:15:42 PM »
Looks like new

Offline oldpins

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 02:06:07 PM »
Getting close to the finish. Installed new door, coin entrance and door strike plate plus new power on/off switch under cabinet. Only need to makeup play cards and bolt on new legs. Happy with the end result, this one may be a keeper although I may sell to finance other machine projects.
Here's a few pics of the PF etc....

Greg

Offline oldpins

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 02:08:50 PM »
A few more pics............

Greg
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 06:46:00 PM by oldpins »

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 03:06:39 PM »
Wow that's one shiny play field. Looks great.